E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Brake pedal still feels soft after full ABS system bleed

05-27-2019, 07:32 AM   #23
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

If the brake pedal travel became shorter and the brake response was a lot sharper then that might be the DSC system pre priming the brakes, anticipating a panic brake situation. I can sometimes induce it by downshifting from higher speed and jumping on the brake.

Do you have any stock rims and tyres you could put on for a test?

Your current tyres aren't that massively different. What calipers do you have on the front? I am thinking you may have an imbalance issue. ie. Your new rear calipers have smaller cylinder bores. The DSC is programmed for a specific ratio front/rear. Your master cylinder is also specific to a particular combination of calipers (it is used on several 6cyl models, the rest is electronic control).

You could test your car at a shop that has a roller brake tester or one of those skid based ones. We have a system called Safe T Stop tester here which can check per axle and also give you a total vehicle braking measurement. That will definitively tell you what is happening between the axles
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 07:49 AM   #24
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by juld0zer View Post
If the brake pedal travel became shorter and the brake response was a lot sharper then that might be the DSC system pre priming the brakes, anticipating a panic brake situation. I can sometimes induce it by downshifting from higher speed and jumping on the brake.

Do you have any stock rims and tyres you could put on for a test?

Your current tyres aren't that massively different. What calipers do you have on the front? I am thinking you may have an imbalance issue. ie. Your new rear calipers have smaller cylinder bores. The DSC is programmed for a specific ratio front/rear. Your master cylinder is also specific to a particular combination of calipers (it is used on several 6cyl models, the rest is electronic control).

You could test your car at a shop that has a roller brake tester or one of those skid based ones. We have a system called Safe T Stop tester here which can check per axle and also give you a total vehicle braking measurement. That will definitively tell you what is happening between the axles
Yeah I realized I think it might be one of the BMW brake features. It saw me brake quite hard from 140 so it makes the brake get primed probably.

No I do not unfortunately My calipers are stock. So it's the big ones up front and the small ones in the rear.

I can still live with this and I think I'll leave it be. When I need to change brakes again I'll go back to OE Textar stuff. Might be sooner than later now that I start doing track and I feel my disc are a bit warped lol.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 08:24 PM   #25
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Volasko

juld0zer

Update! Issue finally resolved! My brakes were warped to hell so I decided to change them. Went with Meyle rotors and Textar Discs this time and WOW that pedal feel is restored to exactly how it was when I picked the car up from the dealer. Guess my Centric metallic pads and rotors weren't up to par. Maybe I improperly bedded them in to? Anyways, happy to finally have my great pedal feel!
Appreciate 0