E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Comfort Access Key Fob Replacement

05-23-2014, 01:19 PM   #1
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

Comfort Access Key Fob Replacement

I'm sure this topic's come up lots, but as I research it, I'm not getting clear answers, oddly enough... Still researching this topic.

I lost a Comfort Access key fob and am trying to see what my non dealer options to replace it are. If I can save some $ also and not get the key cut, that's fine - I'll skip that on my second key fob.

This Bimmernav site wants $300 for the key coded to the car, plus $85 if it's Comfort Access. Is there no other cheaper way to get a key? That's practically dealer pricing at that point.

I've read here and there that buying a key thru Ebay type places isn't a good idea, because only dealers can really program the FCC related code to the key that gets it to work as a Comfort Access key.

Then I've read something like this, which seems easy:

http://www.programyourkeys.com/BMW_5...ogramming.html

Which is slightly different than Bimmernav's instructions, but regardless, it's a DIY:

http://www.bimmernav.com/store/catal...-item-318.html

And this site seems to sell used key fobs for $50 plus you need to pay $50 then to flash the key clean, so it can be used again. Would the process after be as simple as getting someone with coding knowledge (INPA?) to then just program it? Or it would then need that FCC type programming?

http://www.keylessentryremotefob.com...p/bmwflash.htm

Thanks!

Last edited by Lotus99; 05-23-2014 at 01:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 04:49 PM   #2
335NJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i 6MT E90

Find a locksmith based on the link below, type in your zip code for a list of reputable ones in your area. Some good automotive locksmiths can do these keys for our cars. Generally, for cheaper than a dealer. However, based on what i've read on here, average key cost is around $250-350.

Speaking as an automotive locksmith myself, we won't be MUCH cheaper than that price based on our cost for these keys.

http://www.findalocksmith.com/search.aspx
      05-23-2014, 05:45 PM   #3
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Wow, would have never thought of that. So I did the search, and checked Automotive, and the locksmith I called, said that while they don't have the ability right now to do so, they might in a month or two, based on a newsletter he's received.

What he described though is an aftermarket key solution, so not a BMW fob replacement that he'd flash. He said basically he'd clone the existing working key to the new one, so the car would recognize either key as the same one. Not a perfect solution, but if it's half the cost of going OEM, and all the functions work, I might go for it as a second key.

I had a thought also, that I've seen just the key fob cases (with no guts) on sale on Ebay for $20, but he didn't think that I could put the internals from the new one into an empty case, which would have been great from an esthetic point of view.

You heard of this method? Sounds a bit like this, which this guy uses to flash a presumably blank BMW key:
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 05:49 PM   #4
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Follow up to my post above. Looks like it might be something like this.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf K2 fob.pdf (1.64 MB, 2451 views)
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 08:02 PM   #5
Bavarian Tech
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2006 330i  [10.00]
You can program the key yourself, the issue is if you want comfort access to work correctly. Your going to have to have the dealer or someone with dealer equipment (ISTA) de-actiavate the lost key in order for Comfort access to work. Cars on Exx platform can only have two comfort access keys. U can have 4 keys but only two comfort access keys at any given time.
Appreciate 1
Fritzer942.50
      05-23-2014, 09:20 PM   #6
335NJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Bavarian is correct, there are no On-Board programming procedures available for our vehicles. Either a dealer tool is needed, or pull the CAS/EWS to attach a clip onto the chip holding the key data, and dump the .bin file, allowing you to write new keys. Only very few locksmiths can do this properly.

Now, about that handheld tool up there, i've personally never used it. I'm not a fan of any knockoff tools, especially ones that read/write VERY important information onto these cars. If that tool gets into the .bin to write key data, and somehow f*cks all of the data up, you're screwed.

That would be a tool you'd use 100% at your own risk, and I would not recommend it at all. If someone is willing to buy one and use it on their own car, and prove to me that it won't cause any harm, then i'll believe what I see.

Keyline USA makes the only cloneable fob for these cars, but it doesn't have any remote functions. See link http://www.keyline.it/eng/catalog/tr.../bm100kit.html

The K2 Forge remotes are not applicable to our vehicles, per your link above.
      05-23-2014, 09:47 PM   #7
Bavarian Tech
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2006 330i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shafer View Post
Bavarian is correct, there are no On-Board programming procedures available for our vehicles. Either a dealer tool is needed, or pull the CAS/EWS to attach a clip onto the chip holding the key data, and dump the .bin file, allowing you to write new keys. Only very few locksmiths can do this properly.

Now, about that handheld tool up there, i've personally never used it. I'm not a fan of any knockoff tools, especially ones that read/write VERY important information onto these cars. If that tool gets into the .bin to write key data, and somehow f*cks all of the data up, you're screwed.

That would be a tool you'd use 100% at your own risk, and I would not recommend it at all. If someone is willing to buy one and use it on their own car, and prove to me that it won't cause any harm, then i'll believe what I see.

Keyline USA makes the only cloneable fob for these cars, but it doesn't have any remote functions. See link http://www.keyline.it/eng/catalog/tr.../bm100kit.html

The K2 Forge remotes are not applicable to our vehicles, per your link above.
U can program a key in the car, without any tools. The issue is the comfort issue. The key will start the car, u just wont have any comfort access. Not until you disable the lost key. Just go to the dealer, and tell them you want them to disable a key. You'll be charge hour labor at most. Problem solved. Order your key wherever you'd like. Note most dealers require a copy of your license and registration/title before ordering a key

I have no clue, about after-market clone a key, just can speak from dealer experience
Appreciate 1
Luper5258.50
      05-23-2014, 10:09 PM   #8
335NJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian Tech View Post
U can program a key in the car, without any tools. The issue is the comfort issue. The key will start the car, u just wont have any comfort access. Not until you disable the lost key. Just go to the dealer, and tell them you want them to disable a key. You'll be charge hour labor at most. Problem solved. Order your key wherever you'd like. Note most dealers require a copy of your license and registration/title before ordering a key

I have no clue, about after-market clone a key, just can speak from dealer experience
Which part of the key can be programmed without a diagnostic tool? The transponder? That's the chip that the vehicle recognizes to start, that has nothing to do with the remote portion, and there aren't any procedures to program this into the vehicle without a diagnostic tool of some sort, or EEPROM.

What part of this key are you saying can be programmed without tools. Please let me know..
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 07:11 PM   #9
Walker16
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 335i

Garage List
i called my local dealer and they quoted me $340 for the key and 55 to code it! I also told him i had a key from my 2010 335 with CA ans a wanted to get it coded to work on my new 2011 335 and he told me they are locked to a vin and it is not possible to code it to a different car. From what i have read it is possible so im guessing they were just trying to sell me a $400 key!

its crazy what they can charge for something that more than likely cost about $20 to make and a few mins of there time coding it to your car......
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 08:24 PM   #10
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Try a local locksmith like I posted above. They'll give you a generic key, but IIRC, it'll be like half price. I luckily found mine in the end. But the guy was confident with one working FOB, he could copy it.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 09:19 PM   #11
335NJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
Try a local locksmith like I posted above. They'll give you a generic key, but IIRC, it'll be like half price. I luckily found mine in the end. But the guy was confident with one working FOB, he could copy it.

Some locksmiths have the ability to make a BMW original fob as well. Buttons and all

Also, Bavarian Tech, i'm still waiting to hear how a key of any kind can be programmed without any equipment. Not trying to be a d*ck, but truly curious.
      09-18-2014, 05:25 AM   #12
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker16 View Post
i called my local dealer and they quoted me $340 for the key and 55 to code it! I also told him i had a key from my 2010 335 with CA ans a wanted to get it coded to work on my new 2011 335 and he told me they are locked to a vin and it is not possible to code it to a different car. From what i have read it is possible so im guessing they were just trying to sell me a $400 key!

its crazy what they can charge for something that more than likely cost about $20 to make and a few mins of there time coding it to your car......
thats very fair price for CA key
when your car manufactured, there are 10 keys programmed in it
these data also kept at BMW Central key system.
So when you order new CA key dealer order it from BMW key factory by your VIN, key programmed from manuf. data.
After that dealer receive key, activate it and it works
overall price of blank CA key and locksmith work will be similar
      09-18-2014, 11:16 AM   #13
d1saster
Captain
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: F15 N55 & E93 N51

I ordered a CA key fob without the metal key for about 270 from the dealer. They didn't mention programming during ordering. When i got the key CA worked out of the box but couldn't start the car. I complained and they said it needs programming but i refused to pay since i wasn't told when i ordered it.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 07:45 PM   #14
donR
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: E91 335i, B5 RS4, F31 330i

Garage List
I ended up getting a new comfort access key from Bimmernav which came direct from BMW according to my VIN # and ID.

Received the key put the car in accessory mode, pushed the new key into the slot and held for 20-30 sec but error message comes up:

"Remote Control! Unidentified key"

I tried every possible combination to try to get the key to code up the basic functions but no go.

I then took the key and car to my indi who has BMW ISTA which said the key is defective, see below:

So Bimmernav sent me a replacement key but same problem occurs where my car wont even code up the basic functions. Yes I checked the key battery

So the question is does anyone know what could be going wrong and what to try next?

My existing and only CA key works perfectly.

I would appreciate if anyone has any suggestions. I do understand the CA part needs to be coded/programmed but the key should work partly out of the box.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 07:56 PM   #15
FL335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Damn! At this point I guess we pay the $400 for a new key...that blows!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 08:54 PM   #16
335NJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Findalocksmith.com

Type in your zip, and anyone who pops up on that site meets credentials outlined by the biggest locksmith association in the world. So get a list of the shops near you, and call away seeing if any can do these keys for you.
      03-03-2015, 12:55 AM   #17
rogerdiaz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

I am going to swap out the actual comfort access module. After much trial.and error.it appears it is.the culprit for CA dying one day without reason. Key fob batteries,fuses, battery checked.

Do I have to go through these key recoding issues if i swap out comfort access module?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2015, 09:06 PM   #18
BrandJas18
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 328I 6MT Sport Wagon

I know this thread is a bit old, but I just purchased an 09 E91 with Comfort Access. The car came with two fobs but both of them are held together with duct tape. They both function, but I would prefer a fob that doesn't look horrible. I am wondering if I have an option to take the "guts" of one of my remotes and put it inside of one of the fobs on ebay that is just the case? I really do not want to buy a whole new fob and have it programmed just for looks.

Any input would be appreciated.

J. Brand
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2015, 09:10 PM   #19
335NJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandJas18 View Post
I know this thread is a bit old, but I just purchased an 09 E91 with Comfort Access. The car came with two fobs but both of them are held together with duct tape. They both function, but I would prefer a fob that doesn't look horrible. I am wondering if I have an option to take the "guts" of one of my remotes and put it inside of one of the fobs on ebay that is just the case? I really do not want to buy a whole new fob and have it programmed just for looks.

Any input would be appreciated.

J. Brand
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=811431
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2015, 09:21 PM   #20
BrandJas18
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 328I 6MT Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335NJ View Post
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=811431
Thank you! I appreciate the help. Many people say "try searching." I just placed an order for 2 fobs on ebay. As long as the swap works I am good to go. Even if they fob doesn't fit 100% in the slot because I have CA
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 08:04 PM   #21
FL335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandJas18 View Post
Thank you! I appreciate the help. Many people say "try searching." I just placed an order for 2 fobs on ebay. As long as the swap works I am good to go. Even if they fob doesn't fit 100% in the slot because I have CA
Let us know how it works out. Props to Col. for hooking you up with the thread.

SMH for someone who beat up their keys and duck taped them together. Damn!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 08:18 AM   #22
Jedclampet
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 Black

Replacement key

See Jeff at Paul Miller Wayne NJ