E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > XHP stage 3/ transmission slip

10-27-2019, 07:37 PM   #1
KCLe90
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90 335i

XHP stage 3/ transmission slip

Hello all, I am in need of some help. I am going to contact XHP about this issue, but want advice from those who may have heard of an issue like this. I've had XHP stage 3 installed for about 2 weeks, and was very deliberate about the break in/ re adapting process. The car worked great in all modes up until now. It is not constant, but sometimes (within the last two days) the car's RPM will dramatically and rapidly increase within gear without increase in speed (typically 75-100% throttle). Afterwards, I can no longer shift in manual mode. I would have to put the shifter back in D-mode, and then put back in M-mode to get it working again. No codes (checked on protool, XHP, and MHD), and adaptations have remained exactly the same. This has happened twice now, once in 4th gear, once in 5th gear. It seems to me like the torque converter is going out. I am currently on 15 psi, and had no issues (even without trans flash) up until now. For now I have disabled the JB4, and have not encountered the issue. If anything, acceleration feels more solid but obviously not faster. Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
RB Twos with high heat wastegates, MMP DPs, RB inlets, RB PCV valve and cap, BMS DCIs, BMS OCC, BMS BOV adapter, ER charge pipe, VRSF 7.5" race intercooler, Fuel-It! stage 2 LPFP, Forge diverters, JB4 w/ backend flash, Öhlins R/T adjustable coilovers, swift springs, stiffer anti-roll bars, M3 control arms, Vorshlag camber plates, Quaife limited slip differential.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 05:38 AM   #2
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCLe90 View Post
Hello all, I am in need of some help. I am going to contact XHP about this issue, but want advice from those who may have heard of an issue like this. I've had XHP stage 3 installed for about 2 weeks, and was very deliberate about the break in/ re adapting process. The car worked great in all modes up until now. It is not constant, but sometimes (within the last two days) the car's RPM will dramatically and rapidly increase within gear without increase in speed (typically 75-100% throttle). Afterwards, I can no longer shift in manual mode. I would have to put the shifter back in D-mode, and then put back in M-mode to get it working again. No codes (checked on protool, XHP, and MHD), and adaptations have remained exactly the same. This has happened twice now, once in 4th gear, once in 5th gear. It seems to me like the torque converter is going out. I am currently on 15 psi, and had no issues (even without trans flash) up until now. For now I have disabled the JB4, and have not encountered the issue. If anything, acceleration feels more solid but obviously not faster. Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
What's the health & milage of your trans solenoids?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 07:02 AM   #3
KCLe90
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

All solenoids were replaced about 10K miles ago when the valve body was rebuilt and mechatronic sleeve was replaced. Fluid was also changed.
RB Twos with high heat wastegates, MMP DPs, RB inlets, RB PCV valve and cap, BMS DCIs, BMS OCC, BMS BOV adapter, ER charge pipe, VRSF 7.5" race intercooler, Fuel-It! stage 2 LPFP, Forge diverters, JB4 w/ backend flash, Öhlins R/T adjustable coilovers, swift springs, stiffer anti-roll bars, M3 control arms, Vorshlag camber plates, Quaife limited slip differential.
Appreciate 1
      10-28-2019, 11:22 AM   #4
Milan
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

What fluid did you use? Did you refill it properly?
      10-28-2019, 01:20 PM   #5
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
All solenoids were replaced about 10K miles ago when the valve body was rebuilt and mechatronic sleeve was replaced. Fluid was also changed.
Are you running either he MHD checkbox for the Xhp selected?

I think it changes how engine torque is reported to the TCU
Appreciate 1
      10-28-2019, 01:22 PM   #6
KCLe90
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjahl View Post
Quote:

I did not have the option because I run a JB4 backend flash through MHD.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 01:22 PM   #7
KCLe90
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I did not have the option because I run a JB4 backend flash through MHD.
Let me clarify, only MHD map users have that option.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 08:59 AM   #8
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:

Quote:
Yeah, that's obviously a good place to start.

I'd give flash-only tuning a try before exploring any other in-depth/expensive options with respect to diagnosis.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 09:30 AM   #9
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
Quote:

Quote:
Yeah, that's obviously a good place to start.

I'd give flash-only tuning a try before exploring any other in-depth/expensive options with respect to diagnosis.
I've been out of the Xhp loop for some time so I don't know what logging options they still have but you could certainly load up TestO and log the transmission.

By watching the engineRPM, input shaft speed output shaft speed and engine torque, you'll get a good idea of the problem.

You won't find any pressure values as the TCU only models pressure, no pressure sensors to be found.
Appreciate 1
      11-22-2019, 04:44 PM   #10
KCLe90
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Update: the transmission flash has been removed for a little while now. Transmission shifting seems to just get harsher and hesitate more often. The transmission often has weird shifts under load and has slipped in every gear except for 6th. Still no codes. Torque converter going out??
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 05:37 PM   #11
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Update: the transmission flash has been removed for a little while now. Transmission shifting seems to just get harsher and hesitate more often. The transmission often has weird shifts under load and has slipped in every gear except for 6th. Still no codes. Torque converter going out??
Why not just goto stage 2.

Did you change out the sleeves and bumpers while you were in there doing the solenoids?

Any codes?
Appreciate 1
      11-27-2019, 09:49 PM   #12
KCLe90
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
Quote:

Did you change out the sleeves and bumpers while you were in there doing the solenoids?

Any codes?
No codes. The car now slips in every gear with the exception of 6th gear. This typically happens between 50-100% throttle. Hesitation and surging is almost guaranteed around 30% throttle in the 2K-3K rpm band. (Keep in mind this is still on stock flash (XHP completely uninstalled)). Those were replaced by the shop who did the work, the valve body was completely overhauled. I would go stage 2, but since it seems like no matter what I have a mechanical issue and I'm a broke college student, so it doesn't seem like a worthy method of testing lol.
Appreciate 1
      11-27-2019, 11:11 PM   #13
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

Quote:
No codes. The car now slips in every gear with the exception of 6th gear. This typically happens between 50-100% throttle. Hesitation and surging is almost guaranteed around 30% throttle in the 2K-3K rpm band. (Keep in mind this is still on stock flash (XHP completely uninstalled)). Those were replaced by the shop who did the work, the valve body was completely overhauled. I would go stage 2, but since it seems like no matter what I have a mechanical issue and I'm a broke college student, so it doesn't seem like a worthy method of testing lol.
That sucks, but obviously as you know there's an issue with your trans. Thankfully these transmissions are generally rock solid and are a dime a dozen so I'd buy a used one for ~$350 and have it swapped in. Be sure to use Lifeguard 6 or Mercon SP ONLY.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 11:52 AM   #14
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Any codes?
I would consider replacing the torque converter, if the valve body, sleeves, and solenoids have been replaced.

Are you sure they put enough trans fluid in the pan at 100 degrees F? If the pan is low, it will cause the trans to do what you are saying.

I use Amsoil Transmission Fluid and have been using it for 150,000 miles! No issues.

You can buy an Amsoil membership and save $$$ on top quality synthetic oil etc., for your 335i.

Amsoil makes every single fluid for your car.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 12:12 PM   #15
blown07
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
\

Are you sure they put enough trans fluid in the pan at 100 degrees F? If the pan is low, it will cause the trans to do what you are saying.
This was my thought as well.

335xi FBO,Meth,JB4,Sutphin flash,VTT stage1 11.38 1/4 - 7.30 1/8th - 3.35 0 to 60 @ 0C
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 01:28 PM   #16
KCLe90
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Any codes?
I would consider replacing the torque converter, if the valve body, sleeves, and solenoids have been replaced.

I use Amsoil Transmission Fluid and have been using it for 150,000 miles! No issues.

You can buy an Amsoil membership and save $$$ on top quality synthetic oil etc., for your 335i.

I'm going to try first resetting adaptations. After that, I'll check fluid. If both of those are fine, I'll take a look inside the trans. I'm not able to find any torque converters for the transmission though, so if any of y'all have any advice on what to do about that please let me know. Have a happy thanksgiving everyone.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 02:22 PM   #17
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Any codes?

I'm going to try first resetting adaptations. After that, I'll check fluid. If both of those are fine, I'll take a look inside the trans. I'm not able to find any torque converters for the transmission though, so if any of y'all have any advice on what to do about that please let me know. Have a happy thanksgiving everyone.
You can buy a remanufactured one. Use BMWFANS.info to get the part number.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 02:45 PM   #18
Red_Bean_Bun
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92

We just had a similar problem. Turned out to be a clogged ATF filter.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 06:29 PM   #19
blown07
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Bean_Bun View Post
We just had a similar problem. Turned out to be a clogged ATF filter.
What was the filter clogged with? I would think if there is enough clutch material to clog the filter the tranny would be toast anyway.

335xi FBO,Meth,JB4,Sutphin flash,VTT stage1 11.38 1/4 - 7.30 1/8th - 3.35 0 to 60 @ 0C
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 09:19 PM   #20
Spacecpe
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 335i Msport

I would recommend getting the extra adjustments on xhp and lower the torque demand between shifts and see how that works
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 05:44 PM   #21
KCLe90
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Problems keep getting worse. 4th to 5th will rarely shift without slipping, and I get a pulsation like fee when accelerating at any throttle between 2.7K and 3.6K. (Will try to upload a photo of data log).
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 06:01 PM   #22
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

If needed I have 2010 AT with 75k for sale.
Appreciate 1