E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > MAF Error?

11-30-2013, 03:42 PM   #1
mahi77
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, E92 328i

MAF Error?

I recently had my valve cover gasket replaced and prior to that my E92 hasn't thrown codes other than a check engine light associated with the VANOS solenoids a while back. I cleared it and haven't had a problem related to the solenoids since then...

I got my car back from the dealership and the first thing I see when I start the car is the illuminated check engine light. I take it home and take a look at the errors in INPA... I had a two misfires in addition to some mixture errors and this MAF error. I inspected the MAF, put it back on the intake assembly, and cleared the codes. I start the car, rev it, and let it sit for a while. No check engine light comes on, BUT I check the error log again and I have another MAF error.

Any ideas of what I should do?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 08:48 AM   #2
BMW..
Rep
n/a
Drives:

I had my valve gasket done as well and this came up for me. But I've been having tons of issues from my afe intake so I'm not sure if it's related or just a coincidence
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 03:08 PM   #3
mahi77
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, E92 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW.. View Post
I had my valve gasket done as well and this came up for me. But I've been having tons of issues from my afe intake so I'm not sure if it's related or just a coincidence
Did you ever fix it?

I can just keep clearing the code (I hate the service engine soon light), but I want to fix the occasional rough idle. I'm actually debating on ordering a can of MAF cleaner from Amazon.

After visually inspecting the sensor, it didn't seem like it was dirty so I'm not sure what the problem could be; aside from a bad MAF sensor, which I hope is not the case since everything was fine UNTIL my car was serviced by the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 07:09 PM   #4
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue '06 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahi77
Quote:
Did you ever fix it?

I can just keep clearing the code (I hate the service engine soon light), but I want to fix the occasional rough idle. I'm actually debating on ordering a can of MAF cleaner from Amazon.

After visually inspecting the sensor, it didn't seem like it was dirty so I'm not sure what the problem could be; aside from a bad MAF sensor, which I hope is not the case since everything was fine UNTIL my car was serviced by the dealership.
Definitely grab a can of MAF cleaner. I spray my MAF with a shot of cleaner anytime I change the filter or otherwise pull it off the airbox.

If you haven't cleaned it recently spray on liberally and then let it stand for about 5 min then re-install.
      12-02-2013, 07:49 AM   #5
BMW..
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahi77
Quote:
Did you ever fix it?

No. I bought a replacement maf and it worked great for a week then it came back. I'm thinking(hoping) it's the intake I put on but I'm too lazy to take it off and put back the oem intake. My car will actually stall at a stop sometimes because of this..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 08:13 AM   #6
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Clean your MAF. Put your stock air box back on.
I would get engine running rich error codes on my old E90 328 when I had the AFE CAI on. I would clear the code and it would come back every 3-4 weeks. Eventually my O2 sensor failed, at the time the car was still under warranty so I put the stock box back in and took it to the dealer. Not sure if the O2 sensor failure was due to the CAI but just a heads up.
Appreciate 0