E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Intermittent starting issue (long crank) on E90 330i

01-13-2020, 04:40 PM   #1
TassieBMW
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: Le Mans Blue E90 330i MSport

Intermittent starting issue (long crank) on E90 330i

I've had my 330i for around 6 months now and it's been great, however there's one issue which is bothering me and I'm not sure exactly what's causing it.

Whilst the car will always start, on some occasions it will crank for significantly longer than it should. Having experienced this for quite some time, I have observed that it will not occur when the car is cold, or when it is only left for a short period of time (under an hour or two) and is still warm. It happens when the car has been left for at least a few hours, but not long enough for it to be a completely cold start.

This is not a battery related issue as I've had it tested and it passed with flying colours. My mechanic suggested it could potentially be fuel-line related and mentioned some sort of valve that could cause it, however this was only speculation and isn't necessarily correct.

If you have experienced this or have any clue what it may be I'd be very interested to hear, thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 07:07 PM   #2
jmnew911
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i 2007

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
my starter began dragging but this only lasted a couple of weeks before it finally went out and would not crank at all. mine was a just a starter going bad and then failing completely. not sure this is your problem just giving a little feedback
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 08:05 PM   #3
ricx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e93

I have had long cranks so I bought this battery tester which also test the alt n starter. I don't drive my car far, I do a lot of city at slow speeds, so I'm thinking my battery isn't getting alt charged like it should. I connect it to a 8 amp charger often but it doesn't do what an alt charge does. A proved this by driving like a maniac 100+ down the highway a few towns away and back. Then I shut it off and cranked it up again, it fired up a lot stronger. Here's what I bought. It's not something I'd stake my life on, but it give a little confidence to not change out my starter. Check your engine grounds too. https://www.wish.com/product/5d045b5...SABEgIFH_D_BwE
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 09:46 PM   #4
TassieBMW
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmnew911 View Post
my starter began dragging but this only lasted a couple of weeks before it finally went out and would not crank at all. mine was a just a starter going bad and then failing completely. not sure this is your problem just giving a little feedback
Thanks for the reply,

I'm doubtful it's the starter as it was replaced by the previous owner not long before I bought the car, that said I will double check sometime to confirm this
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 09:49 PM   #5
TassieBMW
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricx View Post
I have had long cranks so I bought this battery tester which also test the alt n starter. I don't drive my car far, I do a lot of city at slow speeds, so I'm thinking my battery isn't getting alt charged like it should. I connect it to a 8 amp charger often but it doesn't do what an alt charge does. A proved this by driving like a maniac 100+ down the highway a few towns away and back. Then I shut it off and cranked it up again, it fired up a lot stronger. Here's what I bought. It's not something I'd stake my life on, but it give a little confidence to not change out my starter. Check your engine grounds too. https://www.wish.com/product/5d045b5...SABEgIFH_D_BwE

Hmmm, that sounds like an interesting one.

I do a number of longer drives and that has never changed or exacerbated the issue so I think my alt is fine, thanks for the input though
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 09:54 PM   #6
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

Check your fuel pressure. Have you noticed the fuel pump priming fewer times when you open the door? Is rail pressure low before you start? Does the car struggle to start at first but then immediately start a second time? If so, replace your fuel pressure regulator. I had those symptoms. After replacing it, my car fires up immediately again.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 10:06 PM   #7
TassieBMW
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome to NBA Jam View Post
Check your fuel pressure. Have you noticed the fuel pump priming fewer times when you open the door? Is rail pressure low before you start? Does the car struggle to start at first but then immediately start a second time? If so, replace your fuel pressure regulator. I had those symptoms. After replacing it, my car fires up immediately again.

Cheers for the reply,

Having read a bit about the pressure regulator just then I think it is a strong possibility as the culprit. Will definitely get this checked asap
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 06:26 AM   #8
tom9192
Private
Rep
Drives: 325i '06

Is the car throwing any codes? Mine had an occasional long crank but no start issue and turned out to be the camshaft position sensor. Code was 2A9A
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 09:21 AM   #9
ryan stewart
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 328it

Quote:
Originally Posted by TassieBMW View Post
Thanks for the reply,

I'm doubtful it's the starter as it was replaced by the previous owner not long before I bought the car, that said I will double check sometime to confirm this
Have you verified via records? Also when its taking a while to start does the starter sound like its turning every half second or every second?

Because mine was like his. Maybe 1 in 10 starts it took a second to start but the starter turned slow and it felt like a weak battery but the battery was fine. The starter finally died in my garage the day the box from pelican parts arrived.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 07:40 PM   #10
marvinstockman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

Also, it can be fuel injector leak down.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 08:17 PM   #11
E92William
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 328xi

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
If the car cranks fast but doesnt start. Next time you get in the car. Sit in, key in press start but dont press the brake, don't crank it. This should let the fuel pump pressurize the system if its leaked fuel pressure overnight. If after holding there with key in and everything for say 30 seconds it starts right up every time you try that, it's a fuel pump. I had a similar issue with my old 128i after sitting
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 11:05 PM   #12
TassieBMW
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom9192 View Post
Is the car throwing any codes? Mine had an occasional long crank but no start issue and turned out to be the camshaft position sensor. Code was 2A9A
Not throwing any codes at the moment
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 11:07 PM   #13
TassieBMW
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan stewart View Post
Have you verified via records? Also when its taking a while to start does the starter sound like its turning every half second or every second?

Because mine was like his. Maybe 1 in 10 starts it took a second to start but the starter turned slow and it felt like a weak battery but the battery was fine. The starter finally died in my garage the day the box from pelican parts arrived.

Looking at an old receipt I can confirm the starter was replaced within the last 12 months. It cranks quite fast as well so I think it is healthy
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 11:10 PM   #14
TassieBMW
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92William View Post
If the car cranks fast but doesnt start. Next time you get in the car. Sit in, key in press start but dont press the brake, don't crank it. This should let the fuel pump pressurize the system if its leaked fuel pressure overnight. If after holding there with key in and everything for say 30 seconds it starts right up every time you try that, it's a fuel pump. I had a similar issue with my old 128i after sitting

I have been trying this on and off since the issue first started happening with mixed results. Sometimes waiting with the ignition on before starting will work, but other times it won't. Leaky injectors could potentially be the issue although I'm leaning more towards fuel pressure regulator, will hopefully be able to confirm which it is soon
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 08:11 AM   #15
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

I've been down this road.
even replaced a fuel pump assembly.

check the ESS.
unplug it if needed to failover to the throttle body.

I had intermittent long cranks, when cold, that eventually devolved to the car not starting when below 40 degrees. Started hot just fine, IF you could get it started for the day.

checked the ESS, had oil in it.
replaced the ESS during valve cover job, car has never faltered since.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 03:55 PM   #16
TassieBMW
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsjames View Post
I've been down this road.
even replaced a fuel pump assembly.

check the ESS.
unplug it if needed to failover to the throttle body.

I had intermittent long cranks, when cold, that eventually devolved to the car not starting when below 40 degrees. Started hot just fine, IF you could get it started for the day.

checked the ESS, had oil in it.
replaced the ESS during valve cover job, car has never faltered since.

Will be sure to check this too, cheers
Appreciate 0