E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > n55 Jerking and Lean condition mystery

11-16-2021, 06:50 PM   #1
Peplano
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i, BMW 328Ci

n55 Jerking and Lean condition mystery

2011 E92 335i Xdrive 6MT

Hello again all, I have made a few posts in regards to this topic. Since the time of my very first post I have done Coils, Packs, Injectors, High pressure fuel rail sensor (24 hours before this post), valve cover with gasket, and MHD stage 1. As a preface the car is all stock for the most part. I have a few odds and ends done here but the major one being a vrsf charge pipe. Since my last post on here, and one on the e90 forms I have done the last three items listed. Changing the Valve cover definitely helped out my car and was for sure a weak spot of my vehicle, it improved my STFT and LTFT's which were a major issue causing massive drivability problems in relation to said jerking. Since than I have tuned it as well which also improved my fuel trims and drivability. I have always had a sneaking suspicion that the tune would help a lot and it did.

About 3 weeks into driving the car with the tune I experienced lean codes again (2bc0 - Mixture control: Fuel-Air mixture too lean as the active and 2c42 - Mixture control: Multiple fault as the shadow) I have cleaned the maf and noted that the car drove better but still threw lean codes though I have never gotten a direct maf code. The only other area I need to address is o2 sensors, though again I still get no codes relating to them directly. Following that I have only had a single instance of the car stalling at a red light or stop sign, just suddenly and quietly dying out.

I have done research into that weird stall issue and I have seen a TSB about updating the DME's core version, a solution I have not tried yet, and I have also seen it relating to the dme thinking it has auto start / stop but mine more or less rough idles than dies. Below I have links to three logs I took, one is with the CEL for lean codes on, one is a bone cold start, and the final is a warm start. The bone cold start includes some very rough idle and some misfires I believe, the CEL one is where the car actually feels really good, and the warm start was post stall at a stop sign.

I have seen this becoming a more prevalent topic on the e90 forums with no solution, alas I come here more prepared than I usually am when I write these. Let me know what you think, or if you have had similar issues.

Cold start, lean codes, and rough idle

warm start with cel

Last edited by Peplano; 11-16-2021 at 06:51 PM.. Reason: Insert car
Appreciate 0