E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Slight pitting on intake camshaft lobes - N55

01-08-2023, 09:25 AM   #1
Sethorion
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i MSport LCI 6MT

Garage List
Slight pitting on intake camshaft lobes - N55

I'm currently doing my valve cover gasket and have noticed that all of my intake camshaft lobes have slight pitting.

It looks much worse than it is, I can't really feel the odd zig zagging pattern with my finger and the pits themselves feel pretty smooth to the touch. No nail-catching ridges or anything.

Is this a big deal? The car has about 62k miles and is just over 12 years old at this point.

The images are bigger and clearer on imgur.

View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2023, 01:06 PM   #2
Xalithar
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 335I X-drive (2011)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethorion View Post
I'm currently doing my valve cover gasket and have noticed that all of my intake camshaft lobes have slight pitting.

It looks much worse than it is, I can't really feel the odd zig zagging pattern with my finger and the pits themselves feel pretty smooth to the touch. No nail-catching ridges or anything.

Is this a big deal? The car has about 62k miles and is just over 12 years old at this point.

The images are bigger and clearer on imgur.

View post on imgur.com
it almost looks like casting defects for the pitting. for the waves it could be milling marks. I would take a verner caliper and measure your lobes at the peak lift, and also do a visual inspection on the lifter assembly. If they are all within around 5 thousandths of an inch i would not worry about it because it is a roller camshaft, you would only need to worry if it was a flat tappet.
Appreciate 1