E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Brake Pads Rubbing Against Rotor

02-03-2013, 07:20 PM   #1
DMA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 F80 M3~09 E92M3~03 E46M3

Brake Pads Rubbing Against Rotor

Wanted to see if anyone has had this problem or any suggestions.

Have had a weird rubbing sound coming from the back brakes for about two months.

At first I thought it might be the parking brakes rubbing against inside rotor, but I replaced them with new shoes and adjusted them and spinned rotors on neutral with no rubbing sound (brake pads off).

Second I though maybe the rotors were bad as they were stained and rusted to crap as I bought the car used about 5 months ago. Replaced rotors and brake pads with StopTech Rotors and some Advanced Auto parts brake pads wearever semi-ceramic. (Both front and rear rotors and brake pads). Rubbing sound still continued.

I have narrowed it down to the sound coming from the brake pads rubbing against rotor. Because when I spin the back rotors with brake pads off no sound. When I put brake pads back faint sound as rotors touch brake pads, which is normal but once car is back on the ground and brake used it should back off a bit.

I think it might be the calipers either putting out to much force or something as I have read of 335i having sticky brakes issue. Next I did a brake fluid flush to ATE Super Blue thinking maybe old brake fluid in calipers were causing it. But sound still persists.

I did check to make sure that its not the tire rubbing against anything and car on the ground the tires have more that enough clearance. Sound is pretty loud and most noticeable when driving slow. As far as braking performance and how the car drives is perfect no issues.

At this point thinking of replacing the rear calipers all together for new ones but wanted to get couple opinions first.

Any input is really appreciated.

IG:@DMAGARAGE - 2003 E46 M3 | 2009 E92 M3 | 2016 F80 M3
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 10:33 PM   #2
Savedamanualse90
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6spd n52

Any solutions? I’m having the same problem
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 12:08 AM   #3
The Nightman
Cometh
Rep
Drives: Boy's Soul

Garage List
Try cleaning the guide pins first. Use only silicone grease or no grease at all on them
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 07:51 AM   #4
Soravia
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 Silver xDrive 6MT

If your caliper is standard, eBay has rebuilds for $100 and no core charge (even if the title says so, ask).

you can also rebuild it yourself but it takes time, unless you have sonic cleaner large enough to clean it all out. Car will be down while at it.
You can put in brass bushings. All short pins kit is for rear and standard front brakes. Unequal length pins are for 335i etc bigger front brakes.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2022, 03:17 PM   #5
steveadams69
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D E90

Hi there
I'm having a seemlier issue with my rear dics / rotors
Mine sound like a helicopter sound, my thoughts are maybe there's rust under the rotor making it uneven, if so. one part of the rotor will always be touching when rotating. im thanking about closing off the pipe to the capiler making sure the pads are well off the rotor and test drive.
Appreciate 0