Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Tire plug vs patch vs both?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

10-31-2021, 06:45 PM   #1
Drivaar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Question Tire plug vs patch vs both?

Hi everyone,

There were two screws (the longer was about 1 inch) that got into my tire recently near the center of the tread area (far from sidewall), similar to the case here:
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1549507

No air was leaking, but I took them to a tire shop and they plugged both of them. Do I also need to get them patched?

Reading through old threads I can see lots of different answers, so any "citation" or support for recommendations would be much appreciated.

I figured that since I have good tires (Pirelli PZero All Season Plus), they are less likely to just rip up on the road. But obviously it's serious stuff and I'd like to have confidence!

Thank you so much!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 09:10 AM   #2
Antetokounmpo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT FBO; '18 F150 Platinum

Garage List
Anecdotal, but the 3-4 plugs I've done in my lifetime have never given me a single issue.

2008 335xi 6MT | VRSF Catless DP | VRSF 7" FMIC | VRSF CP | TIAL BOV | DCI | MHD 2+
BC Racing BR | Stoptech 600 | Firehawk Indy 500 255 Square | Atric Altimax 225 Sq.
2018 F-150 Platinum 701A | FX4 | 3.5 EcoBeast
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 09:17 AM   #3
rbryantaz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E70 4.8i, 2008 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.67]
2007 BMW X5 4.8i  [10.00]
There should be no safety issue. The latest method for this is to add a patch that also has a rubber plug as a T shaped plug/patch. They do enlarge the hole in some cases which I was skeptical about but for a larger hole it is a good idea.

The reason for the plug portion is mainly to seal the tire from the outside in addition to the inside. This stops water (and salt water if in a cold climate) from getting into the steel belt and rusting it.

Discount tire and others usually offer these for free. (But there are some things thry won't patch even though they could. If you have two holes close together they often decline to patch them)
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 09:23 AM   #4
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

I don't know the facts but from anecdotal experiences a plug is perfectly fine for normal driving.

My new winter tire had a puncture and it sealed it well all it's life. I had friends to who used plugs no issues.

Now if I plan to do high speed driving (like 200kmh+) I probably wouldn't trust the plug but yeah, normal driving is fine.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 10:43 AM   #5
Cloverdale
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Jb4 & perf. mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivaar View Post
Hi everyone,

There were two screws (the longer was about 1 inch) that got into my tire recently near the center of the tread area (far from sidewall), similar to the case here:
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1549507

No air was leaking, but I took them to a tire shop and they plugged both of them. Do I also need to get them patched?

Reading through old threads I can see lots of different answers, so any "citation" or support for recommendations would be much appreciated.

I figured that since I have good tires (Pirelli PZero All Season Plus), they are less likely to just rip up on the road. But obviously it's serious stuff and I'd like to have confidence!

Thank you so much!
I've personally plugged a dozen or so and not had a failure. Took a small wheel crack to beat me which a professional remedied recently.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 01:11 PM   #6
Drivaar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Thank you all for your thoughts!

How would I know if the plug was done well? I went to a shop that's very well rated, but they did it so quickly (~10 min total for 2 plugs) that I was a little suspicious. But the tire has seemed to hold air just fine since the repair.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 01:18 PM   #7
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivaar View Post
Thank you all for your thoughts!

How would I know if the plug was done well? I went to a shop that's very well rated, but they did it so quickly (~10 min total for 2 plugs) that I was a little suspicious. But the tire has seemed to hold air just fine since the repair.
I'd say if it holds air perfectly, it was done properly. Kinda hard to screw it up, like, it would leak.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2021, 04:58 PM   #8
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

The correct solution is both, but the reality is you can't do both in a pinch. I've driven around on only plugs for a long time in many cases.

The best of both worlds: plug it and take it to a tire shop to add a patch on your own time. The plug will hold plenty well until you can get the patch put in.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 01:54 PM   #9
michaelalex17
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Manual Wagon

Always plug/patch combo. It's the safest method and current industry standard.