E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Buy wheels in US or locally (GTA)? Group buy?

01-05-2012, 10:51 PM   #1
itrocks4u
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80, F36, E90

Buy wheels in US or locally (GTA)? Group buy?

Hi,

Before posting, I did do a search and found some useful information, but I still wanted to post this.

I'm looking to purchase a new set of wheels and tires. I really like tire rack and I know some people have recommended it. I just wanted to know if its a good idea to buy them online and have them shipped to Canada? In particular, I'm not sure how bad the customs/duty is? Someone recommended http://usaddressinc.com/ as well. Have anyone tried that?

Basically, what is the best way to buy wheels and tires if you're in the GTA?

Regards,

p.s. I included Group buy in the title just to see if people are interested in a group buy on wheels and tires. I believe there have been a few last year, so should we do another if that helps majority?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 12:41 PM   #2
KCX_335xi
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 | 2013 e70 X5

Contact some of the US forum sponsors (**********s.com ; BavAuto...) to workout a good deal for your set... Get it shipped to usaddressinc.com, ask them to provide a receipt for a lower amount (I would not go lower than 1K), this will decrease your duty and taxes of course.

That's what I did this past summer.

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 02:13 PM   #3
itrocks4u
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCX_335xi
Contact some of the US forum sponsors (**********s.com ; BavAuto...) to workout a good deal for your set... Get it shipped to usaddressinc.com, ask them to provide a receipt for a lower amount (I would not go lower than 1K), this will decrease your duty and taxes of course.

That's what I did this past summer.

Good luck
Hey thanks for the information. How did you find usa address and how much did you have to pay them?

So you just go to the place, pick up wheels and then pay 13% at the border?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 04:24 PM   #4
bulldog_yyc
Major General
Rep
Drives: GT3RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by itrocks4u View Post
Hey thanks for the information. How did you find usa address and how much did you have to pay them?

So you just go to the place, pick up wheels and then pay 13% at the border?
basically! note that they will charge you a higher amount to pick up wheels/tires vs. traditional packages. Then declare at the border and pay your 13% tax - note that you may have to pay additional duties if wheels are made outside north america, depends on the officer.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 04:40 PM   #5
itrocks4u
Colonel
United_States
Rep

So is it a better option to purchase just the wheels and then tires in Canada?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 04:48 PM   #6
KCX_335xi
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
So is it a better option to purchase just the wheels and then tires in Canada?
You can get a better deal in the US when you get a package. That was my experience......
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 06:29 PM   #7
bulldog_yyc
Major General
Rep
Drives: GT3RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCX_335xi View Post
You can get a better deal in the US when you get a package. That was my experience......
^agree with this as well
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 10:43 PM   #8
PA66400
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan

To answer to original poster's question: if you are going to spend a lot on wheels and tires (i.e thousands) then consider driving down to TireRack and having them installed there. It is about 8 hours from Toronto. At the border, if you declare them, you will likely pay only GST and PST, no duty. This is what I did when I lived on Toronto and it saved many hundreds of dollars, versus buying the same locally. TireRack is in a really pretty area of Indiana and I watched a Chicago Corvette Club track meet at thier facility during my installation (they are about 1.5 hours outside of Chicago). They have a first class install facility and will hold your rims and tires there for your installation.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 01:18 AM   #9
itrocks4u
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA66400
To answer to original poster's question: if you are going to spend a lot on wheels and tires (i.e thousands) then consider driving down to TireRack and having them installed there. It is about 8 hours from Toronto. At the border, if you declare them, you will likely pay only GST and PST, no duty. This is what I did when I lived on Toronto and it saved many hundreds of dollars, versus buying the same locally. TireRack is in a really pretty area of Indiana and I watched a Chicago Corvette Club track meet at thier facility during my installation (they are about 1.5 hours outside of Chicago). They have a first class install facility and will hold your rims and tires there for your installation.
Thanks.. So how does that work? I select the wheels and tires online and then select where to get them installed? Indiana?

Also what do you mean by they will hold the wheels and tires for install?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 06:08 AM   #10
Kid Eh
I used to be conceited, now I'm perfect.
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks.. So how does that work? I select the wheels and tires online and then select where to get them installed? Indiana?

Tirerack also offers installs at tire places all across the U.S. if I'm not mistaken. Just find the closest one. I had my wheels and tires (bought from separate places) shipped to www.usaddressinc.com (they are literally 2 miles from the Niagara Falls border). It's $5.00 per package regardless of size. My tires were strapped by 2 so the 4 tires cost me $10 and the 4 wheels cost me $20. I then took everything to a tire place about 2 miles away and had the tires mounted. Threw everything in the back of my pickup and went to the border. The place I bought the wheels made me a dummy receipt for like $900. I showed them that only. They figured that was for the wheels and tires together. Paid my duty and I was done. Saved a shitload. Paid $2200 for the wheels total. They are $1200 each here. Saved quite a bit on the tires too. Good Luck!!!!

"I used to be conceited. Now I'm perfect"
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 09:36 AM   #11
KCX_335xi
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA66400 View Post

TireRack will also ship to a local shop for installation in Niagara Falls.. My buddy just did this for his 911... He went across with an old set, left it there and didn't even declare them on the way back....
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 09:56 AM   #12
itrocks4u
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Eh
Quote:

Tirerack also offers installs at tire places all across the U.S. if I'm not mistaken. Just find the closest one. I had my wheels and tires (bought from separate places) shipped to www.usaddressinc.com (they are literally 2 miles from the Niagara Falls border). It's $5.00 per package regardless of size. My tires were strapped by 2 so the 4 tires cost me $10 and the 4 wheels cost me $20. I then took everything to a tire place about 2 miles away and had the tires mounted. Threw everything in the back of my pickup and went to the border. The place I bought the wheels made me a dummy receipt for like $900. I showed them that only. They figured that was for the wheels and tires together. Paid my duty and I was done. Saved a shitload. Paid $2200 for the wheels total. They are $1200 each here. Saved quite a bit on the tires too. Good Luck!!!!
And no tpms required?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 10:14 AM   #13
Kid Eh
I used to be conceited, now I'm perfect.
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
Quote:
And no tpms required?
Not in Canada. At least not for my car.

"I used to be conceited. Now I'm perfect"
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 11:47 AM   #14
Bimmerologist
King of the Road
Canada
Rep
Drives: F32 435i xDrive

Why dont you contact oem concept and try a group buy with them?
2014 BMW 435i xDrive Coupe /// 6MT /// M Performance Package /// M Performance Package II /// Executive Package /// Premium Package/// Adaptive LED Headlights /// Connected Drive Services /// OEM 666M Competition Wheels ///BMW Performance Kidney Grills /// Hot Girl in the Passenger Seat
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 11:53 AM   #15
itrocks4u
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerologist View Post
Why dont you contact oem concept and try a group buy with them?
Are they doing a group buy? I did email them though so lets see what they say.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 08:32 AM   #16
KCX_335xi
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I think he's asking you to potentially organize one
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 09:56 AM   #17
PA66400
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan

Quote:

You should phone in your order and dial the extension of the salesperson specific for this forum. Then just tell him that you want the installation done at the Tirerack facility in South Bend. They have a first rate shop that is inside the huge Tirerack warehouse and on the Tirerack test track. They do Road Force balancing, which is a big plus and their install price is cheaper than most of their certified installers. You may have to book an appt. time during busy winter/spring (Nov/Dec or April/May) when many people buy new tires. Hope this helps.

BTW I always declare at the border. It is simply not worth the huge penalty of being found out. GST and PST is all that you will pay. I have never had the country of origin questioned when crossing back to Canada with a bill of sale from the US - the border service just assumes it is US origin and there is not any duty under the FTA.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 02:56 PM   #18
itrocks4u
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCX_335xi View Post
I think he's asking you to potentially organize one
yea, I emailed/PM'd them, lets see what they say.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 06:29 PM   #19
Bimmerologist
King of the Road
Canada
Rep
Drives: F32 435i xDrive

Quote:
I don't know if they are doing one. I am just merely suggesting you inquire with them as I believe they are local!
2014 BMW 435i xDrive Coupe /// 6MT /// M Performance Package /// M Performance Package II /// Executive Package /// Premium Package/// Adaptive LED Headlights /// Connected Drive Services /// OEM 666M Competition Wheels ///BMW Performance Kidney Grills /// Hot Girl in the Passenger Seat
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 08:25 AM   #20
itrocks4u
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA66400 View Post
You should phone in your order and dial the extension of the salesperson specific for this forum. Then just tell him that you want the installation done at the Tirerack facility in South Bend. They have a first rate shop that is inside the huge Tirerack warehouse and on the Tirerack test track. They do Road Force balancing, which is a big plus and their install price is cheaper than most of their certified installers. You may have to book an appt. time during busy winter/spring (Nov/Dec or April/May) when many people buy new tires. Hope this helps.

BTW I always declare at the border. It is simply not worth the huge penalty of being found out. GST and PST is all that you will pay. I have never had the country of origin questioned when crossing back to Canada with a bill of sale from the US - the border service just assumes it is US origin and there is not any duty under the FTA.
Hey do you know the name of that facility? I'm going through the list of Tire rack installers but not sure which is a good one or one that people from Canada usually go to.

Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 08:40 AM   #21
DESI4life10
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Coding: Desi4life10@gmail.com

Quote:
Hey do you know the name of that facility? I'm going through the list of Tire rack installers but not sure which is a good one or one that people from Canada usually go to.

Any ideas?
He is from Calgary. The location he gave you was probably the one cloest to him.

The ones that have the extra tirerack approval are good ones to go (read the reviews to confirm on tirerack)
Appreciate 0