E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > E92 Transfer case codes

Yesterday, 02:35 PM   #1
denn69
Rep
Drives: BMW 328XI

E92 Transfer case codes

I have looked before I posted but most people with this issue had a bad Actuator or stripped gear (X3 I guess). So the triad of lights came on in my 145,000mi 328xi coupe (brake, 4x4, DSC). I could hear grinding and clicking from the shifter area when starting the car. Lost AWD and went to rear wheel only (or one wheel I should say). I didnt really care much as I was going to just disable it and toss the front shaft. Anyway, I laid up the car to put headers on it and decided to tackle the AWD with half the shit already off the car. I Had a known good transfer case from my wifes old 328xi with 100,000mi laying around so I ordered a new REIN Actuator motor from ECS, Changed the fluid with Stec Shell DTF1 and went to toss it all back together. After getting it all running, the lights are still on. Its still in rear wheel also so I ran the codes and have the following

5F3A Clutch Gearbox ECU: VG malfuntion. Clutch is open, rear wheel drive
54C8 Class resistance at actuator
5462 Error Actuator, increased power fpr clutch

Havent went any further, does the new actuator have to be coded? I do not hear anything under the car or feel anything at the actuator either. I've swapped T-Cases and Actuators before without an issue. Could it be a faulty motor? Im stumped, I ordered ISTA again and am waiting for the download to come but any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Appreciate 0