Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Wheel and Tire insurance - Aftermarket or BMW?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

12-12-2011, 09:06 AM   #1
undisclothesed
Private
Rep
Drives:

Wheel and Tire insurance - Aftermarket or BMW?

I purchased the wheel/tire insurance on my previous car (08 R32) for around $600. It was a third party company (IAS) but all the service was done through the VW dealer. It was convenient and gave me peace of mind. It allowed me to focus on just enjoying the drive rather than what godforsaken pothole might lay around every corner or over every crest. Over the 3 years I owned the R the insurance paid for itself numerous times over. It was a great investment.

I love my new 335xi and naturally I'm bit nervous driving a 3800 lb car with 18" wheels and 40 series tires through these NY/NJ roads. I'm looking for a wheel/tire insurance program. Ideally I'd like one through the dealer just like I had with my R.

The dealer initially mentioned the wheel/tire insurance was $2k+ and I immediately said no way. After spending a few minutes lurking the forums I came across some people mentioning that the insurance can actually be had for $1100 w/ some negotiating. Anyone know how what dealer cost for the insurance actually is?

What do you guys think of it? Anyone have BMW's wheel/tire insurance? How much did you pay for it? What does it cover (cosmetic, bubbles, bent wheels that do or don't hold air, etc)?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 06:45 PM   #2
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

I paid $390 for it when the car was new, it was for 5 years, and expired 2 wks. ago. Never used it once. Definitely not worth it. A friend's friend with a Z4 told me, "you need it." So I got it. What a waste!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 07:00 PM   #3
V1SAVED
United_States
Rep
Drives: 92 Stealth TT, 07 335i sedan

remember that "insurance" is basically the insurer betting there's a good chance you won't need it. Add BMW to the equation and its almost a certain loss for you because of the extreme price. My BMW dealer wanted around 2k (for the stock insurance or the winter package) If you are really worried about your wheels, you might want to just order a cheap set of wheels and tires and put them on. I know the NY/NJ roads well and the insurance per wheel is much less
      12-13-2011, 11:09 PM   #4
mochi
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: non turbo

my GF got it and got 3 nails in 3 different tires over a span of 3 years. BMW fixed it no questions asked so it just depends on luck. Or you can just nail your own tire when the thread is low.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 11:26 PM   #5
Dr00mX
Rep
Drives: none

haha i like that thinking
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 09:38 AM   #6
Thunder Dump
That tickles
Rep
Drives: '09 328i E93 SGM/CR

I paid $600 for 5 years/unlimited mileage at my dealership when I bought the car. It only covers OEM rims and tires (although they don't have to be *the* original tires) and there is a maximum payout on the policy of something like $4500. Just last month, at 18K miles, I was doing my summer/winter swapover and noticed a huge bulge in the sidewall of my 18" RFT. Brought it to the dealership and they replaced it with a brand new one no questions asked. It even covered the cost of mounting/balancing/stem/TPMS.

Replacing that out of pocket would have been about $350, so one more of these over the next 2 1/2 years and I've more than broke even.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 10:35 AM   #7
stren
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Payed 800 for five year insurance from the dealer, it's not BMW though but third party. In 18 months its payed for two tires which would have cost 700. So to me it's been worth it, however you have to stick to oem rft's which isn't ideal for many. If I were to do it again I wouldn't get it and would just switch to non rft's as soon as I needed to replace one.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 10:45 AM   #8
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochi View Post
my GF got it and got 3 nails in 3 different tires over a span of 3 years. BMW fixed it no questions asked so it just depends on luck. Or you can just nail your own tire when the thread is low.
Hey Genius (just kidding) keep in mind there is a minimum tread depth at which the coverage ends. Your DIY has to happen prior to that number, which is never 2/32, it's something higher.

Some people are ok with fraud I guess. You can also try the same thing with your car insurance if you so desire. I'm no goody two shoes, but my price to commit fraud is a lot higher than $500 or $1100 for a rim and tire.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 10:49 AM   #9
mochi
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: non turbo

she failed recently for a service. of the three that were fixed the 4th tire was low on thread, and now that wheel was "marked" and one of her wheels is not under the tire warranty any more. lol.

O well i got a set of VMR in my room for her
Appreciate 0