E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > SOS malfunction 335i - please help

10-27-2019, 05:43 AM   #1
jonybravo78
Rep
Drives: Bmw E93

SOS malfunction 335i - please help

I have recently bought a 2007 E93 335i. All was fine for the first week, and then the following happened over a period of a few days

1) Strange noises coming from speakers (distortion, and thudding even though the radio was off)

2) SOS warning malfunction light pops up. All sound goes from car (radio, sat nav, reverse lights, door chime etc)

3) Few days later, still SOS light, with no sound, but horrible noises coming from the speakers again such as distortion, vibrations, and thudding noises)

So, from searching this forum and online, it would look like the Sat Radio module has failed, and all I need is a MOST fibre optic bypass cable.

However, after having looked in the boot / trunk, there is no Sat radio installed.

Please see the pictures below. Can anyone help diagnose the issue? The car still has 8 weeks left on its warranty so I'd like to get this resolved sooner rather than later. The car isn't really driveable as the distortion noises from the speakers is pretty unbearable/
Attached Images

19 inch staggered Hamann deep dish alloys, 15mm spacers front and back, sprint boost controller, lowered on Stance+ coilovers, HKS BOV, burger DCI, Carbon Fibre M4 spoiler, carbon front spiltter, MOMO quick release steering wheel, custom colour alloys, hamann floor mats, green calipers, clutch stop, Masata FMIC
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 05:45 AM   #2
Silver Streek
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325d E91

If you have 8 weeks of warranty left why don't you just take it back to the dealer you bought it from and get them to fix it under warranty??
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 07:55 AM   #3
jonybravo78
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Streek View Post
If you have 8 weeks of warranty left why don't you just take it back to the dealer you bought it from and get them to fix it under warranty??
It's not from a dealer, it was a used car garage, and they are 480 mile round trip from where I live.

I want to ascertain the problem, before telling them what needs to be done. Unless it's an easy fix that I can do myself
19 inch staggered Hamann deep dish alloys, 15mm spacers front and back, sprint boost controller, lowered on Stance+ coilovers, HKS BOV, burger DCI, Carbon Fibre M4 spoiler, carbon front spiltter, MOMO quick release steering wheel, custom colour alloys, hamann floor mats, green calipers, clutch stop, Masata FMIC
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 02:17 PM   #4
Silver Streek
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325d E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonybravo78 View Post
It's not from a dealer, it was a used car garage, and they are 480 mile round trip from where I live.

I want to ascertain the problem, before telling them what needs to be done. Unless it's an easy fix that I can do myself
Ahh ok now I understand!!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 06:55 AM   #5
jonybravo78
Rep

Car is booked in for work, but I've figured out what's happened. The amp has become flooded and is bathing in freezing cold water. Must be a leak somewhere
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 11:49 AM   #6
nick46
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw E91 lci 330d msport

Wish I could get to the bottom of my SOS problem. Everything still works perfectly but I still get the fault come up all the time. Had it for ages now and its bloody annoying!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 06:00 AM   #7
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonybravo78 View Post
Car is booked in for work, but I've figured out what's happened. The amp has become flooded and is bathing in freezing cold water. Must be a leak somewhere
I'd check the drain holes under the side sills as it's a common issue they get blocked and then the water backs up and finds its way into the boot.
      11-04-2019, 04:48 AM   #8
jonybravo78
Rep

Are the drain holes the ones in front of the rear tyre under that flap? If so, i'm getting the garage to drain them when it goes in next week.

I managed to get the amp out, it was a pain in the a$$. I had to take lots of the boot lining out, there are screws everywhere I just hope I can remember which ones go where when it's time to put it back together.

The amp was sat in about 3 inches of water. I managed to unplug it and get it out and it's now sitting on the radiator. I've not had a chance to plug it back in to see if it is still working, primarily because the boot compartment on the left keeps flooding every time it rains.

There's no issues on the other side though, the battery compartment is bone dry. Strange.

There's a straw in the picture because before I could get access to the compartment, I tried to suck as much water out as I could. There's not as much water in the picture as there was at the start of this process

Name:  IMG_3118 (2) copy.jpg
Views: 517
Size:  112.3 KB

Name:  IMG_3119.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  88.6 KB

Name:  IMG_3121.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  113.8 KB

Name:  IMG_3122.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  73.6 KB

So now the amp is out, there's no more popping and crackling and bumping noises from the speakers, so at least the car is more drive-able than it has been for the last week.

I'm still getting the SOS malfunction light coming on though. Not sure how this warning light has anything to do with a flooded amp though
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 05:14 AM   #9
dumitru.o
coding BMW.....
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW

SOS error is because the TCU bluetooth module is disconnected. if you close the MOST fiber from the amp, then the SOS error will be gone since the communication will be re-established between the HU and the TCU. you won t have any audio until you get the amp fixed
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2019, 10:47 AM   #10
sirleeofroy
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330D M-Sport LCI

Garage List
I'd be inclined to remove the casing of the amp and clean it out with some isopropyl as there will likely be some corrosion with it being sat in all that water!

You can bathe it in the stuff and brush out any corrosion with a toothbrush, then let dry in a warm cupboard overnight and put back together
Appreciate 1
      11-12-2019, 03:51 AM   #11
jonybravo78
Rep

I managed to get the amp out and let it dry. I couldn't open it up though, not for lack of trying. I took the screws out but it just didn't want to open. I managed to spray some PCB cleaner in there, but wasn't able to use a toothbrush. I don't mind too much if I have to buy a new amp, I can pick one up rom Halfords for less than £100.

The car is in the garage today, I noticed a new leak this morning on the side where the battery is, so I'm hoping they can figure this out for me today and get me back up and running and leak free.

I've left the garage with the MOST fibre bypass cable as well, so if they have time to fix the leak, hopefully they can figure out the SOS message.

Will post an update later, hopefully this thread will help any other E93 owners in the future with the same issues.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 04:09 AM   #12
jonybravo78
Rep

The garage have managed to locate a few areas where there were leaks coming in. Mainly roof seals seemed to be the problem. They also drained the water from the car by opening the screws in front of the rear tyres and drained the water out that had collected.

So my issue is - I need to get a new amp. However I'm told that I can't just buy an after market one, as it won't work with the BMW stereo that I have. I have the Harman/Kardon Logik 7 setup.

Does anyone know whether it's possible to fit an aftermarket amp?

A new Logik7 Amp from bmw is £980 and second hand ones on ebay are £250-£300.

Any advice appreciated
Appreciate 0