E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Best Bluetooth solution for 06 E90

02-24-2022, 08:58 PM   #1
Kevink15
Rep
Drives: BMW 330XI

Best Bluetooth solution for 06 E90

I know its discussed but can't find an answer to my specific need.

I have a Canadian 06 330 with voice control, but no bluetooth for calls or music. Also no USB. My old adaptor crapped out but was annoying to use and a wiring mess.

What is the best recommended adaptor for my needs? Calls and music and hopefully auto on it if plugged into a usb adaptor via the cig lighter port in the console. Also can I just leave it in the the console hidden? I always left the adaptor out thinking I had to speak into it, but now wondering if the voice control mic is utilized for when I get a call?

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2022, 09:47 PM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1499808

Mr12volt is the active vendor for this currently .
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2022, 03:27 PM   #3
Simbl
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 330i

Try this out

Auidophile Bluetooth solution FiiO BTR5 https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1903245
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 12:53 AM   #4
frozenfire
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simbl View Post
Try this out

Auidophile Bluetooth solution FiiO BTR5 https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1903245
That is not at all comparable to a Mr12volts, which runs through the MOST bus and most certainly is not an audiophile solution when used in an e9x. The BTR5 looks like it relies on the aux and e9xs have a widely known crap aux port, so even if the BTR5, itself, is up to audiophile standards you're going to lose any benefit from it by using it through the aux port in the center console, at that point just use any amazon $20 Bluetooth adapter or an aux cable directly from your phone. Not to mention you arent going to have any steering wheel controls or info on your screen.
      09-26-2022, 03:46 PM   #5
Simbl
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenfire View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simbl View Post
Try this out

That is not at all comparable to a Mr12volts, which runs through the MOST bus and most certainly is not an audiophile solution when used in an e9x. The BTR5 looks like it relies on the aux and e9xs have a widely known crap aux port, so even if the BTR5, itself, is up to audiophile standards you're going to lose any benefit from it by using it through the aux port in the center console, at that point just use any amazon $20 Bluetooth adapter or an aux cable directly from your phone. Not to mention you arent going to have any steering wheel controls or info on your screen.
Sorry your wrong. Please correct my 14 years of being a sound engineer. I have tried both this and several cheap Bluetooth devices. If you can't hear the difference your wasting all your money on expensive audio products because you cannot hear the subtle nuances that make them all different/better. I'm sure MR 12 volt will be better but it's 4 times the price. It's probably not 4 times better.

People thing aux port is crap because they plug crap into it. It is no different than a middle rung audio cable.

Now go get a high end audio interface that retails 6k and run lossless audio through it into the aux port. Then if you are so inclined or have the knowledge run a signal noise floor test between the airport and the head unit and tell me the results compared to an average aux cable. Until then I would suggest your opinion is not as valuable as you think.

Can I ask? have you tried the FIIO or are you guessing?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2022, 08:24 PM   #6
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1002984
Read the whole thing.
Lot of people tried DAC's in the above thread.

No double digital analog conversion with mr 12 volt.
It also does phone and bluetooth with steering controls.

Bluetooth or at least the old version's of it are not that good.

It's better than all the aux plug in devices sounds just as good
as what you would get from the CD player .
You could get a DAC to feed the aux but your still going through a double
digital to analog conversion with the sound still being limited to the
point of lowest fidelity .
Downside is interface not that good as far as controls are concerned
and they have raised the price you could get it from around 135 to 150 US
two or three years back.

Last edited by ctuna; 09-26-2022 at 08:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2022, 12:36 PM   #7
Captain Buumer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325D

I have experimented with TuneRTA + Umik-1 (when i was looking to get the cleanest input source to our OEM radio).

I have 3.5mm DAC that provided quite good results. Since it bypasses phone weak DAC there is definite improvements. However overall sound level was reduced and we're still limited to OEM radio analog to digital DAC - that is not that great.

However it is no match to MOST based system where signal is all the way digital (TuneRTA confirmed that).
Any signal conversion degrades quality and with 3.5mm route we do it twice + the connections.

Mr12volts or Dension Gateway 500S BT or any unit simulating CD interface is clearly "best" like the OP asked.

Bluetooth greatly reduces signal quality so i quess it doesn't matter what you end up using as you don't care of quality of sound and best doesn't exist in this context.

Some cheap ebay 3.5mm adapter would do it for you like answers above hinted.

For music i tried bluetooth vs USB in Dension Gateway 500S BT and well, bluetooth is just limited by it's design however it works great, integrates fully into our OEM syetem.
Music from USB, Calling with bluetooth and pretty happy with the end result.

Quote:
I'm sure MR 12 volt will be better but it's 4 times the price. It's probably not 4 times better.
Probably more than 4 times better because it also integrates with original car functions + install & forget solution.

Last edited by Captain Buumer; 10-02-2022 at 12:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2022, 01:36 PM   #8
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

Used to be 150 or a little less for the basic setup that gave you
usb sd phone and bluetooth streaming and steering wheel controls
. It wasn't as cheap as 30 dollar bluetooth dongle that goes through
the aux but you get what you pay for.

Basicly it was a Dension 500 clone for about 1/4 th the price.

This shouldn't be confused with the new android car play system for
idrive only that does wi fi.
Appreciate 0