E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > [E92] Carplay / Android Auto in CCC

12-12-2021, 11:34 AM   #1
Kyokushin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F32 428i, F32 420i

[E92] Carplay / Android Auto in CCC

Hi there,

Anyone tested this Carplay/Android Auto box for CCC?
https://pl.aliexpress.com/item/1005002934717964.html

I am using smilar called MMI in my F32, but i would like to know also opinions about this one dedicated for CCC for E92 (i would install that to wife car).

Last edited by Kyokushin; 01-07-2022 at 06:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 06:33 PM   #2
Kyokushin
Private First Class
Rep

If someone is interested in that - i got it and i have installed that in my wife car - E92 325xi 2007 with CCC.

It works very good, its automatically connecting to the Carplay by wireless, microphone is included in the box (my car have no mic).

Installation took me around 5 hours, you need to take care of cooler at rear of CCC navigation box, and the 'limcet box' - the carplay-box need to be placed under the passenger side glovebox.
The microphone i installed near the front window near the left A column.

The point not present in the manual, but should be done:
During installation you need to take the fiber-optic cable from the original CCC cable-cube then place them to the limcet-box cable-cube
Attached Images

Last edited by Kyokushin; 01-09-2022 at 02:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 11:33 PM   #3
Vulcan50
Captain
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Any idea if the stock mic works with it?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 02:10 AM   #4
Kyokushin
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan50 View Post
Any idea if the stock mic works with it?
Hard to say - i have no mic in my car, i have only aux.
You may ask the seller but i doubt they will know.

Its supporting the Reverse via CAN, so…
In my F32 i have mic and different box and that is using bmw-mic, so most probably - but i cant say it with 100% sure - in that case it may also use bmw internal microphone if such one is present.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 11:40 AM   #5
Vulcan50
Captain
Rep

Does everything function as stock that's not part of it? Like cd and radio (maybe nav, but less concerned since I never use it and it appears that this allows you to use nav via your phone)
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 01:00 PM   #6
Kyokushin
Private First Class
Rep

It is using AUX for audio, so if you switch to CD or stock NAV then you cant hear voice from this box, for example a call or some warnings.

You may switch by holding 'menu' button for few seconds to switch the view between stock (everything is working) and the carplay-box.

You may use any navigation from your phone (for example Waze - its showing max speed limit, informing when you exceeding, informing about photocameras etc)

In addition you may call from cellphone, answer calls from the wheel, switch songs from wheel, or call via contact book and phone app in carplay, or call by Siri. Its good feature if someone does not have bluetooth in CCC (and that option was pretty rare in these times).

Pretty old car is getting modern multimedia features by few bucks. My and my wife switched to carplay only - using Waze for navigation, apple music for music, calls are working, voice assistance also so it seems to be all multimedia what we like to have in car.

There is also possibility to watch some movies by this box or listen to music from usb, but never used that.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2022, 12:18 AM   #7
Vulcan50
Captain
Rep

Just a follow up, anything to report? Good or bad?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2022, 02:46 PM   #8
e9.2slow
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Sport Coupe

fwiw I just installed the one from modernbimmers.com and I'm stoked with how it turned out. Great customer service and they actually come with an install guide unlike most of the others from what I heard. Audio quality sounds great too.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2022, 08:49 AM   #9
christosPap
Rep
Drives: BMW E93 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by e9.2slow View Post
fwiw I just installed the one from modernbimmers.com and I'm stoked with how it turned out. Great customer service and they actually come with an install guide unlike most of the others from what I heard. Audio quality sounds great too.
Can you say more? for Android, if seems you have to connect your phone with USB every time, it will not work wirelessly. It also claims that if the new system is not on, then you fall back to the OEM system. What happens if I am on a call with the OEM system and decide to turn this on? Will I lose my call? It would be great to learn more about how this integrates with the OEM system.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2022, 11:38 AM   #10
franccu
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW e93

No space for the connector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyokushin View Post
If someone is interested in that - i got it and i have installed that in my wife car - E92 325xi 2007 with CCC.

It works very good, its automatically connecting to the Carplay by wireless, microphone is included in the box (my car have no mic).

Installation took me around 5 hours, you need to take care of cooler at rear of CCC navigation box, and the 'limcet box' - the carplay-box need to be placed under the passenger side glovebox.

During installation you need to take the fiber-optic cable from the original CCC cable-cube then place them to the limcet-box cable-cube
Hi, I have bought the same model (I believe), but it seems there is no space behind the cd player for the bulky cube added in the harness. How did you fit that?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2022, 08:00 AM   #11
Bobbych
Private
Rep
Drives: 3 series 320d 2010

quick question, I installed one of these from Aliexpress, and found it great, as far as functionality, and at night!

BUT in daylight hours, the screen had way too much glare and even fitting an anti glare cover did not help as it just turned it white.

I instead fitted my original screen back and used the MMI box install, but my screen is only the 6.5" screen and I wanted the 8.8"

so my question, are people having GLARE issues in daylight?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2022, 05:21 PM   #12
Phil-Trahuile
Registered
France
Rep
Drives: E46 318i touring, E91 330i

Hi everyone !

Thank you for all your advice, they are really precious for us before buying stuff like that...

I have a question : I plan to buy an android auto device like those one for my E91 with CCC M-ASK (6.5" screen). Does it fit well even if I buy a device for CCC iDrive ?

I have the feeling that the ones we can buy on ModernBimmer, Aliexpress or any supplier are exactly the same, am I right ?
I want to send an email to ModernBimmer but I can't find it on the website...

Thank you for your time !
Phil
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 05:07 PM   #13
arjvnv
Rep
Drives: e90 06 330i

Quote:

How was audio quality? Have logic7 sound system with bavsound under seat woofers and want this but can’t handle losing any audio quality. Does it use music audio from same aux plug in inside center console?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2023, 01:01 PM   #14
lordnikon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Break My Wallet

Garage List
Also interested. Subbed
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2023, 01:26 PM   #15
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbych View Post
quick question, I installed one of these from Aliexpress, and found it great, as far as functionality, and at night!

BUT in daylight hours, the screen had way too much glare and even fitting an anti glare cover did not help as it just turned it white.

I instead fitted my original screen back and used the MMI box install, but my screen is only the 6.5" screen and I wanted the 8.8"

so my question, are people having GLARE issues in daylight?
I have it a little on certain angles of the sun and direction of driving. It's not that bad though.

The OE screen had a tilted piece of plexiglass in front of the screen that was a pretty clever fix for glare. But that obviously wouldn't work with a touch screen.

My unit is the AVINUSA version, which looks almost identical to that modernbimmers unit.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2023, 07:43 PM   #16
n54e90chicago
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

android auto/ apply carplay for bmw e90 CCC

Hello all,

first time posting but this community has helped me with just about any problem i've come across. However I have been stumped with this one, hence me making an account to post.

in feb of this year my display/CCC got stuck in the rebooting loop. I tried the hard reset, etc and I would be able to get my screen to come back on for a while but would eventually shut off and not work once I would drive again.

assuming this was something with my display screen and previously wanting to upgrade to a carplay display, I went ahead and ordered a linux android unit with carplay to install to replace my previous screen (assuming the display was the problem). product took about a month to arrive and came with the new harness, microphone, wifi antenna, GPS, etc. I have checked my P's and Q's to make sure all the wiring is properly connected about 5 times now.

the new display boots right up, phone connects to the carplay and just about everything works as intended. however heres the issue:

1. to access the previous CCC system you would just hold down the menu button to access. well, my idrive knob does not work after installing. it did previously when everything was working fine. it spins freely and the menu and voice command button don't work.

2. there is no sound coming out. (I tripled checked that the green fiber optic cable is being ran to the new harness that plugs back into the back of the radio.) I ran the aux in/out from the wiring harness to the Aux input inside the glove box.

after doing plenty of research over the last week, a-lot of the suggestions were to go back into the original display and select AUX and then once i switch back the audio should play. however not being able to access the original display stumps me from checking that off on things that could be wrong.

this leads me to believe could it have been a bad radio unit this whole time? it currently makes noises like its trying to reboot and spin a disc, even after I turn the car off. from the reboot loop, not having it turn on fully, etc. the audio was working fine prior to the screen going out and the few days it would turn on the audio worked, my door chime works, so i know the speakers themselves are fine.

it is also worthy to note I am running two 10" subs with a boss amplifier.

after everything i have read and with what knowledge i have, i've narrowed it down to these possible scenarios:

1. it's possible its just the product itself, but after contacting and talking to customer service that doesn't seem to be the issue since everything else works fine.

2. a bad CCC/radio.

3. a possible bad battery.

Side question: does the CCC/radio hold the program for the original Idrive?

I apologize for the lengthy post. but I wanted to fit as much detail in this to eliminate some common questions that i've seen on other threads. any response is greatly appreciated. i'm gonna give it a few more try's to fix it before i throw in the towel and take it to a shop/dealer.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2023, 07:38 PM   #17
halik008
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:

But doesn't using this unit means that you reuse the OEM screen that's both low resolution and not touch-screen?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2024, 03:18 PM   #18
rockybb
Registered
Rep
Drives: e90 330d m57

Quote:
Hi there,

Anyone tested this Carplay/Android Auto box for CCC?
https://pl.aliexpress.com/item/1005002934717964.html

I am using smilar called MMI in my F32, but i would like to know also opinions about this one dedicated for CCC for E92 (i would install that to wife car).

hello im not sure if I bought the same one?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...av-description
it looks like the same from the picture but I have an issue, the 10 pin connector that I need to feed into the dvd unit doesnt fit? did u jam it in hard? I try to watch videos when people install these boxes but they skip this part lmao
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2024, 03:20 PM   #19
rockybb
Registered
Rep
Drives: e90 330d m57

https://prnt.sc/mXkPpKdfSAYY im scared to jam it in and break the pins but the shape doesnt even look like the blue one which was oringial
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 05:53 AM   #20
Carputech
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BMW

Hello everyone,
You can try our this OEM Carplay Upgrade Module:
https://www.carputech.com/products/b...-auto-module-2
Main Functions:
1) Wireless Apple Carplay
2) IOS AirPlay mirror link
3) Android Auto
4) Andoid phone mirroring link
5) Support after-sale rearview and DVR
6) USB playback (music, video)
7) EQ adjustable, best sound quality
8) The original car line is plug and play, no cutting, continuous line, no damage
This amazing kit adds full CarPlay functionality to your existing CIC, NBT, EVO while retaining all the original NBT functionality. The CarPlay system supports button and steering wheel controls and integrates with console or glove box USB.
Whether your CIC, NBT, and EVO systems come with navigation, phone modules, or Bluetooth, Apple Maps, Spotify, making/receiving calls, or replying to texts with Siri, the system fully supports Apple systems and telephony capabilities.

Carputech has a special offer for e90post members until April 10, 2024.
Please use coupon code: BMW40 to get $40 off on our website: https://www.carputech.com
Appreciate 0