E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Center Armrest restoration, reupholster, replacement opinions?

08-29-2022, 08:27 AM   #1
MrSteak
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' 335i Coupe (6-speed)

Center Armrest restoration, reupholster, replacement opinions?

I see people just replacing the entire armrest or upgrading to the split design, but those are $250-$400+ options. Been looking for used replacements, but I haven't seen a clean Coral Red one.

Anyone here have any luck restoring, repainting, or reupholstering their armrest? Or another route I haven't thought of?

I've seen a few YouTube videos of people using leather "paint", but I'd be worried that painting the piece I rest my elbow on daily is a bad idea.
      09-05-2022, 07:00 PM   #2
MrSteak
Captain
United_States
Rep

Update....
  1. Contacted some local auto upholstery shop, was quoted $250-275 to re-upholster the armrest.
  2. Saw a seller on eBay called J-F-Customs selling leather armrest covers. Apparently you just glue it on top of your current armrest. Not enough info, or actual reviews of people doing this to justify an order.

I'll continue looking for used armrests online. Unless anyone responds with something better.
      09-06-2022, 07:54 PM   #3
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

There's a company called Master's Smart Repairs in North Carolina that specializes in restoring BMW interiors. Their prices are reasonable and they do great work. Might be worth hitting them up for a quote!

Otherwise, I think a used one is your best bet. I've seen some ebay covers and they never match well or look good in my experience.
Appreciate 2
      09-06-2022, 09:45 PM   #4
MrSteak
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyzee125 View Post
There's a company called Master's Smart Repairs in North Carolina that specializes in restoring BMW interiors. Their prices are reasonable and they do great work. Might be worth hitting them up for a quote!

Otherwise, I think a used one is your best bet. I've seen some ebay covers and they never match well or look good in my experience.
Thanks. Definitely going to get a quote from Master's.

Otherwise, I'll keep on searching for a decent used replacement. Coral Red is a tough color to track down (especially in good shape).
      09-10-2022, 10:29 AM   #5
TooMuchSawce
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 320d LCI

I had some fading along the seam of the drivers side seat (where you tend to slide in and out of the seat when entering/leaving). I bought a red leather dye from eBay which surprisingly did the trick. I also used it on the armrest where there was some colour fading going on. Simply get a cloth and apply it in a circular motion. Let it dry then buff off. Seemed to have done the trick and best of all is that you can't tell it's been dyed as it blends in perfectly. Perhaps give that a go?
Appreciate 1
MrSteak82.50
      09-11-2022, 12:25 AM   #6
MrSteak
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooMuchSawce View Post
I had some fading along the seam of the drivers side seat (where you tend to slide in and out of the seat when entering/leaving). I bought a red leather dye from eBay which surprisingly did the trick. I also used it on the armrest where there was some colour fading going on. Simply get a cloth and apply it in a circular motion. Let it dry then buff off. Seemed to have done the trick and best of all is that you can't tell it's been dyed as it blends in perfectly. Perhaps give that a go?
Is the dye transferring to your clothing or skin (if they're in prolonged contact)? I've seen some people make dye look good on door panels, and low traction areas.

That's my only concern with the armrest. My car is a manual, and I'm usually resting my elbow on the armrest, so I'd be nervous that the dye would just end up on my elbow after a few trips.
      09-11-2022, 03:07 AM   #7
TooMuchSawce
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 320d LCI

As far as I’m aware, I’ve never had any transfer onto my clothes, and I used to wear white shirts due to work. I only usually rest my elbow on the armrest too, so I think you’ll be fine.

The instructions state that you should wait at least 24hrs after applying it so it has time to soak in etc. I gave it a final buff the following day, and had no residual dye left on the cloth.

Do note, that certain cleaning products (predominantly high strength detergents) can sometimes agitate the dye, so if your giving your car a thorough clean, try and stay away from any high strength cleaners (at least on the dyed areas). Although I doubt you’d want to clean leather with that kind of stuff anyway lol. Water and other mild leather cleaning products don’t seem to remove it though
Appreciate 1
MrSteak82.50