E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Removing all 4 callipers: plug lines?

06-27-2020, 03:37 AM   #1
bobbytomorow
Greatest Internet Poster
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 2.5

Removing all 4 callipers: plug lines?

Over the next couple of weeks my next project will be installing new rotors, pads and sensors all around. I thought that while doing this it would be a good time to also completely remove the callipers to clean with a rotary tool and paint them (satin black), do a CDV delete and finally a brake fluid flush.

I've changed a ton of rotors and pads before on different cars but I've never done a brake fluid flush nor have I ever removed callipers from the brake lines. So I what I want to know is what is the best way to go about this project/what order should I go in? Further when I take the callipers off from the brake lines should I plug the brake lines with something like a golf tees or clamps? I ask because I've heard that it was bad to let all of the brake fluid out.

My current plan:

1)remove old pads, rotors, sensors
2)remove all 4 callipers
3)plug or clamp brake lines?
4)clean + paint callipers
5)unplug/unclamp lines one at a time and reinstall newly painted callipers
6)install new brakes
7)perform CDV delete
8)do a brake / clutch fluid flush

A)Does that process seem sound? and if so I still don't know what to plug or clamp the lines with
B)Should I invest in a brake bleeder kit like this one?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 11:08 PM   #2
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbytomorow View Post
Over the next couple of weeks my next project will be installing new rotors, pads and sensors all around. I thought that while doing this it would be a good time to also completely remove the callipers to clean with a rotary tool and paint them (satin black), do a CDV delete and finally a brake fluid flush.

I've changed a ton of rotors and pads before on different cars but I've never done a brake fluid flush nor have I ever removed callipers from the brake lines. So I what I want to know is what is the best way to go about this project/what order should I go in? Further when I take the callipers off from the brake lines should I plug the brake lines with something like a golf tees or clamps? I ask because I've heard that it was bad to let all of the brake fluid out.

My current plan:

1)remove old pads, rotors, sensors
2)remove all 4 callipers
3)plug or clamp brake lines?
4)clean + paint callipers
5)unplug/unclamp lines one at a time and reinstall newly painted callipers
6)install new brakes
7)perform CDV delete
8)do a brake / clutch fluid flush

A)Does that process seem sound? and if so I still don't know what to plug or clamp the lines with
B)Should I invest in a brake bleeder kit like this one?
I'd use an air powered die grinder & a dremmel with wire brush to get it clean.

You might want to figure out who you know that has a sand blaster. That's the only way to 100% clean the calipers and holders.

I'd use a high temp etching, primer first & then use 800 grit sand paper, on the primed surface. Then use G2 epoxy paint. Last, I'd seal the paint with 3 coats of high temp clear coat.
Appreciate 1
feuer4275.50
      07-04-2020, 06:41 AM   #3
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

Erect a jackstand against the seat and brake pedal to hold the pedal down. That will close off the master cylinder feed port and you will lose very little fluid. You will have to release the pressure at the calipers by opening and catching the fluid from any front and rear caliper.
Appreciate 1
      07-04-2020, 07:18 PM   #4
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

put clamps on the soft lines.
https://www.harborfreight.com/4-piec...set-65116.html

and now is a good time to replace them as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 01:36 AM   #5
bobbytomorow
Greatest Internet Poster
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 2.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by juld0zer View Post
Erect a jackstand against the seat and brake pedal to hold the pedal down. That will close off the master cylinder feed port and you will lose very little fluid. You will have to release the pressure at the calipers by opening and catching the fluid from any front and rear caliper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsjames View Post
put clamps on the soft lines.
https://www.harborfreight.com/4-piec...set-65116.html

and now is a good time to replace them as well.

Thanks for the suggestions fellas, exactly the kind of tips I was looking for!
Appreciate 0