E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Viper SRT or CPO McLaren 12C Coupe?

04-11-2016, 03:37 AM   #23
scoobysaurus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
No kidding.

Question, when you sit in each, which one fits better? Driving position? Which engine note do you like better: RIGHT NOW?
The Viper is insanely loud inside and out but has a very noisy Diesel engine note until you get up to 4K rpm - that's when it starts sounding like a proper V10 sports car.

The McLaren is loud too, especially with the optional sports exhaust that this particular car has. The note keeps getting better with higher rpm. But there's something about the sound that feels weird compared to the Italia, it's almost like the difference between the AMG 6.2 and AMG 5.5 Biturbo. Both are loud and aggressive but one sounds more raw and the other sounds loud but somewhat muffled. FWIW the S85 (with Eisenmann exhaust) sounds better than both the McLaren and the Viper.

The McLaren's seating position is as good as it gets in a sports car. Visibility is great compared to other cars I've driven such as the 458, Aventador and SLS. Materials are top class and the car seems to be well put together. The Viper's interior is very good too, surprisingly, and the materials aren't exactly on par with the McLaren but I was impressed with the fit and finish. (to be fair, I'm comparing the base Viper to the top of the line 12C. GTS would be a better comparison) the best part about the viper is the stick shift and the shifter itself feels great but the clutch pedal travel is too much for my liking.

Overall I guess I'd have more fun and thrills driving the Viper but I'd feel happier in the McLaren. It's a touch choice and I really appreciate all of you helping out! The votes are split almost 50/50 and my mind is also 50/50 so I'll see who gives me the best deal or discount and go with that. Besides, as many of you already said, whatever I get, I can always get the other one later. It's a win-win
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 08:37 AM   #24
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

OP: Put it this way, when are you going to be able to buy a big V10 up front with a manual transmission again? After this year, possibly never again.

The McLaren and all the other exotics with their flappy paddle gearboxes will be around for a long-long time.

Based on what you're saying, you're more interested in the Viper because it does have the manual gearbox. TBH, I can see it holding value or actually going up once they're out of production. Look at the prices of used manual Ferrari's and Lambo's.

My vote initially was for the McLaren. I've driven a 650S Spyder and it's incredible in every way. But in the end, I'd be happier with a manual gearbox (it's said that driving a manual is 38% more involving).

After reading all your posts, you'll be more happy you got the Viper.
Appreciate 1
      04-12-2016, 08:53 AM   #25
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeWarrior View Post
I'm going with the Viper.

The 12-C looks dated to the 650S
This. The 12C looked dated to me from day one and looked more like a Hyundai supercar than a McLaren. Blegh.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 09:57 AM   #26
atxgt3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 E92, 17 X5M, 15 Huracan

I have many friends with Vipers and I drove one of them (a brand new Gen V), and it just felt raw and unrefined, and to be honest it didn't feel quick. I personally didn't like the Viper. I think it looks amazing and exotic, I prefer the looks over the McLaren, but I just didn't enjoy being in it and driving it.

A friend has a McLaren 12C and although I think it looks a bit dated, I still think it's a more cohesive design than the 650S. The performance is insane. I've driven on twisty back roads with me in my 991 GT3 and my friend in his 12C, and either he has a death wish, I am a wuss, or his car just makes him feel that confident, because I did not feel confident going as fast as he did around some corners. But again.. It looks a bit dated in my eyes. He's also had some minor issues with it, we'll see how it holds up over time.

Is a Huracan an option or still too expensive? That's probably going to be my next car if I like it when I drive it. It's got the looks and the performance. The two cars that excite me the most right now are the 991 GT3 (and RS) and the Huracan.
Appreciate 1
      04-12-2016, 12:18 PM   #27
M3ZING
Banned
Rep
Drives: Audi RS6 C7

Just buy them both. You only live once.
Appreciate 1
      04-12-2016, 03:33 PM   #28
ezndo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 E93

Be careful with the Viper Gen 5's.....a failed recall R28 means you're looking at a replacement engine from Dodge....mainly affects 2013-2014 but some 2015's, I think the 2016's are not affected. In any event, speaks to poor QC from Dodge.
Appreciate 1
      04-12-2016, 11:36 PM   #29
BloomRunsDubs
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobysaurus View Post

Since the prices were on the higher side, many people suggested that I should look at other brands as well before making my decision. I found a 2013 Gallardo LP560-4 in great condition and under warranty for $98k but I can't help but think that it looks rather outdated especially after the debut of the Huracan. That's when I started looking at McLarens and apparently the dealer is selling "McLaren Qualified" 2012 12C Coupes for around $121k, with 2 years, unlimited mileage warranty, 2 years of free service, and 1 year of free insurance.
Please post the link to the 98k Gallardo and Ill buy it right now. That has to be a salvage car theres no way a 2013 Gallardo in good condition is selling for less then 125k. Just no way, unless it has 75k miles. The Lambo is a WAY better car than both of those cars.

2009 to 2013 Gallardos look timeless, at least to me, maybe im biased but me buying a Mclaren over a Lamborghini, that would be one cold day in hell.

Im also assuming its pretty hot over there so you wouldn't want the Viper. The exhaust comes out right under the rear of the doors and it gets extremely hot. Definitely wont help the cabin temperature

EDIT: Didn't realize you were from Dubai. My bad. Still cant believe a 2013 Gallardo is only 98k USD over there. DAMN. Ill keep waiting I guess lol.

Last edited by BloomRunsDubs; 04-12-2016 at 11:42 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-14-2016, 03:48 PM   #30
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloomRunsDubs
Quote:

Since the prices were on the higher side, many people suggested that I should look at other brands as well before making my decision. I found a 2013 Gallardo LP560-4 in great condition and under warranty for $98k but I can't help but think that it looks rather outdated especially after the debut of the Huracan. That's when I started looking at McLarens and apparently the dealer is selling "McLaren Qualified" 2012 12C Coupes for around $121k, with 2 years, unlimited mileage warranty, 2 years of free service, and 1 year of free insurance.
Please post the link to the 98k Gallardo and Ill buy it right now. That has to be a salvage car theres no way a 2013 Gallardo in good condition is selling for less then 125k. Just no way, unless it has 75k miles. The Lambo is a WAY better car than both of those cars.

2009 to 2013 Gallardos look timeless, at least to me, maybe im biased but me buying a Mclaren over a Lamborghini, that would be one cold day in hell.

Im also assuming its pretty hot over there so you wouldn't want the Viper. The exhaust comes out right under the rear of the doors and it gets extremely hot. Definitely wont help the cabin temperature

EDIT: Didn't realize you were from Dubai. My bad. Still cant believe a 2013 Gallardo is only 98k USD over there. DAMN. Ill keep waiting I guess lol.
Be careful if you're looking at stuff in that realm pre owned. They are often due for a HUGE and VERY EXPENSIVE service which is why folks get out of them and they take a big hit. Typically between 20-30k if memory serves. I'm talking tens of thousands in some cases.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 07:54 PM   #31
BloomRunsDubs
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Be careful if you're looking at stuff in that realm pre owned. They are often due for a HUGE and VERY EXPENSIVE service which is why folks get out of them and they take a big hit. Typically between 20-30k if memory serves. I'm talking tens of thousands in some cases.
Gallardos are actually pretty reliable. Its essentially the same car as the R8 V10 so parts are interchangeable. Not so sure about the Mclaren

Some of those prices are so high because of Dealership tax. If you have your maintenance done by an independent shop that knows what they are doing it costs the same to maintain a Gallardo as it would taking your BMW to the BMW dealership for service
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2016, 06:07 AM   #32
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloomRunsDubs
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Gallardos are actually pretty reliable. Its essentially the same car as the R8 V10 so parts are interchangeable. Not so sure about the Mclaren

Some of those prices are so high because of Dealership tax. If you have your maintenance done by an independent shop that knows what they are doing it costs the same to maintain a Gallardo as it would taking your BMW to the BMW dealership for service
Yeah Lambo a bad example since they dig into the VW parts bin. I know for others though it can get very expensive very quickly. Looked at a Maserati which isn't even in the league we are talking and my memory is a little fuzzy but think the 25k service was almost $20k.
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2016, 10:56 AM   #33
scoobysaurus
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM330i View Post
OP: Put it this way, when are you going to be able to buy a big V10 up front with a manual transmission again? After this year, possibly never again.

The McLaren and all the other exotics with their flappy paddle gearboxes will be around for a long-long time.

Based on what you're saying, you're more interested in the Viper because it does have the manual gearbox. TBH, I can see it holding value or actually going up once they're out of production. Look at the prices of used manual Ferrari's and Lambo's.

My vote initially was for the McLaren. I've driven a 650S Spyder and it's incredible in every way. But in the end, I'd be happier with a manual gearbox (it's said that driving a manual is 38% more involving).

After reading all your posts, you'll be more happy you got the Viper.
You're right. #TeamViper wins this one The McLaren folks didn't give me a very attractive trade-in price for my AMG so I backed out of it. I put a deposit down on a 2016 Viper scheduled to be delivered this September. It's a red SRT with black interior and chrome rattler wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
This. The 12C looked dated to me from day one and looked more like a Hyundai supercar than a McLaren. Blegh.
I'm one of those that finds the 12C more attractive than the 650S. Heck even the 570S looks better to me than the 650S. Slapping a P1's face on a 12C's body just didn't work IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxgt3 View Post
I have many friends with Vipers and I drove one of them (a brand new Gen V), and it just felt raw and unrefined, and to be honest it didn't feel quick. I personally didn't like the Viper. I think it looks amazing and exotic, I prefer the looks over the McLaren, but I just didn't enjoy being in it and driving it.

A friend has a McLaren 12C and although I think it looks a bit dated, I still think it's a more cohesive design than the 650S. The performance is insane. I've driven on twisty back roads with me in my 991 GT3 and my friend in his 12C, and either he has a death wish, I am a wuss, or his car just makes him feel that confident, because I did not feel confident going as fast as he did around some corners. But again.. It looks a bit dated in my eyes. He's also had some minor issues with it, we'll see how it holds up over time.

Is a Huracan an option or still too expensive? That's probably going to be my next car if I like it when I drive it. It's got the looks and the performance. The two cars that excite me the most right now are the 991 GT3 (and RS) and the Huracan.
The best part about this 12C was that it had 2 years of bumper to bumper warranty and 2 years free service so I'd spend virtually nothing on the car except fuel and oil. As for the Huracan, it's actually on my list but not just yet as it hasn't depreciated as much as I'd like. I'll consider it again in 2 years when I'll have to choose between the Lambo and the 570S/650S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ZING View Post
Just buy them both. You only live once.
I wish! I could possibly stretch my budget and get a Huracan but I don't think it's wise considering that I have to get a new DD next year. Having said that, now that I've decided to go with the Viper, I don't plan on selling it for a very long time! Whichever super car I get next (McLaren or Huracan) is going to share the garage with the snake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezndo View Post
Be careful with the Viper Gen 5's.....a failed recall R28 means you're looking at a replacement engine from Dodge....mainly affects 2013-2014 but some 2015's, I think the 2016's are not affected. In any event, speaks to poor QC from Dodge.
I'm ordering a brand new 2016 so I'm hoping it's trouble free. Thanks for the heads up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloomRunsDubs View Post

The car I was looking at is sold, but here's an LP550-2 under warranty with no accidents and 35k km (22k miles) for $89,900! (1USD= 3.67AED):
https://dubai.dubizzle.com/motors/us...NQ%3D%3D&pos=0

The thing is that V10 Lamborghinis and V8 Ferraris are a dime a dozen here, so McLarens look more exotic and special on the streets. But I understand what you mean - the Gallardo probably has the most timeless design for a supercar. It still looks good today but there's just way too many on the streets here.

As for the Viper being too hot, the AC seemed to work fine and I'm hardly ever going to drive it in the middle of the afternoon so it's not really a problem. The best part about the Viper (and Aston Martins/Porsche 911s/M-cars) here is that only genuine car guys seem to buy them, while F-cars/Lambos/McLarens/AMGs are unfortunately relegated to valet parkings and instagram accounts.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2016, 11:50 AM   #34
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

Excellent choice on the Viper. I've driven both extensively and have an ACR on order.

The Viper is really bulletproof. If you get the chance, visit the Bondurant school in Arizona. I just did a 4 day GP Racing school there and it was honestly one of the best things I've done in my life. You learn, train, and race in Viper TA 2.0 for 3 days and on the 4th, you get to race in Formula Mazdas. I've definitely explored the limits of myself and the Viper. Just can't wait for the ACR which is a totally different monster.
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2016, 12:10 PM   #35
scoobysaurus
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
Excellent choice on the Viper. I've driven both extensively and have an ACR on order.

The Viper is really bulletproof. If you get the chance, visit the Bondurant school in Arizona. I just did a 4 day GP Racing school there and it was honestly one of the best things I've done in my life. You learn, train, and race in Viper TA 2.0 for 3 days and on the 4th, you get to race in Formula Mazdas. I've definitely explored the limits of myself and the Viper. Just can't wait for the ACR which is a totally different monster.
Thanks! And that's awesome! I kinda wanted to get an ACR too but it's rather impractical for me, so I guess I'll be content with an SRT.

As for the racing school, I'll probably be going to the US for Wrestlemania next year so I'll consider going there as well (if the Viper isn't discontinued by then )
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2016, 12:50 PM   #36
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:

The car I was looking at is sold, but here's an LP550-2 under warranty with no accidents and 35k km (22k miles) for $89,900! (1USD= 3.67AED):
https://dubai.dubizzle.com/motors/us...NQ%3D%3D&pos=0
So there was someone that bought the 550-2 but didnt go for the manual?!?
Thats a rather big fail
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2016, 01:10 PM   #37
scoobysaurus
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
So there was someone that bought the 550-2 but didnt go for the manual?!?
Thats a rather big fail
I agree. Unfortunately most people buy such cars to show off (at least here), and couldn't care less about how it drives. Manual sports cars such as Vipers, GT4's and manual R8's have really good resale values here because they're very rare and bought almost exclusively by enthusiasts. With the new DCT cars, enthusiasts are also moving away from manuals. The slow death of the manual was a big factor in me choosing the Viper over the McLaren. Enjoy them while they last!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2016, 05:26 PM   #38
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

but then why opt for the rwd?
I can only imagine choosing rwd on a lambo if you want a more daunting and intense ride, and imho only a manual (probably the last gated manual!) can compliment that.

I also think that was the cheapest packeage you could get for the gallardo, can you imagine? Look at what the new 911r has to cost! (which follows basically the same idea), and for a lambo that's much rarer than for a Porsche.
Lamborghini was very early in switching completely over to 4wd and also were pretty early with paddleshifting (egear, I dont mean slushbox like tiptronic)
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 1
      04-18-2016, 02:37 PM   #39
TSM330i
United_States
Rep

Also regarding the Gallardo and operating costs. It is still an exotic and will cost anywhere from $1 - $2 per mile driven.
Just Google Gallardo running costs and you'll get a ton of information on running costs.
While they're running and don't need any maintenance, they are very reliable and a great car. Once you have to take it to the dealership for any type of maintenance or repairs - be prepared to pay.

Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 08:02 PM   #40
BloomRunsDubs
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM330i View Post
Also regarding the Gallardo and operating costs. It is still an exotic and will cost anywhere from $1 - $2 per mile driven.
Just Google Gallardo running costs and you'll get a ton of information on running costs.
While they're running and don't need any maintenance, they are very reliable and a great car. Once you have to take it to the dealership for any type of maintenance or repairs - be prepared to pay.

Im pretty sure he takes his to the Lambo dealer. I would never make that mistake.. lol

Only for warranty work do I take my cars to the dealer
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2016, 02:53 PM   #41
Shock6822
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i

Do you want the car more as a 'daily driver' or something to beat around in? You'll have your answer, as the McLaren is a better DD, and the Viper may be a bit more visceral in a sense.
Appreciate 1
      04-20-2016, 02:30 PM   #42
scoobysaurus
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shock6822 View Post
Do you want the car more as a 'daily driver' or something to beat around in? You'll have your answer, as the McLaren is a better DD, and the Viper may be a bit more visceral in a sense.
I have 3 daily drivers already and the SL63 as my weekend car. Once the new 'weekend' car is here, I'll probably sell my BMW and use the AMG more as a DD than a weekend car.

Also an update regarding the decision: I've already booked a Viper but the folks at McLaren called me and said they are going to try and offer an even better deal if I'm interested. I'm confused again but I'll see how "good" the deal is before making up my mind 100%. The McLaren dealership seems to be pretty desperate to sell their cars.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 10:26 AM   #43
TSM330i
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have 3 daily drivers already and the SL63 as my weekend car. Once the new 'weekend' car is here, I'll probably sell my BMW and use the AMG more as a DD than a weekend car.

Also an update regarding the decision: I've already booked a Viper but the folks at McLaren called me and said they are going to try and offer an even better deal if I'm interested. I'm confused again but I'll see how "good" the deal is before making up my mind 100%. The McLaren dealership seems to be pretty desperate to sell their cars.
Don't swayed by the "deal." You'll end up disappointed if you get the McLaren. Go with what you really want and no matter what, you'll be happy.
Appreciate 1