E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 2008 328i Vibration under acceleration

05-21-2018, 06:04 PM   #1
thormx11
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328I

2008 328i Vibration under acceleration

Sorry for the long first post but..

I just purchased my first BMW. It is a 2008 328I e90 with 156k miles. I am a mechanic, but never really worked on foreign cars. I got a deal on the car, as the previous owners mechanic told them the car needed a new differential, at the cost of $4800. They then just parked the car in the garage for 4-5 years.

The car runs & drives great when cold, it had new Bridgestone tires mounted & balanced right before it was parked (I believe the issue was present before the new tires) but after 5-10 minutes of driving, the car starts to get a vibration under normal acceleration. If you give it heavy throttle it doesn't seem to vibrate. The vibration seems to be in the body, although you can slightly feel it in the wheel it seems. Maybe that is because the body is shaking so bad that it also vibrates the wheel. It shifts great, and the vibration seems to continue through all the gears. It is like you are driving on the rumble strips.

I have searched lots of forums online, and this seems to be kind of a common issue. None of the stories I have read had anyone say the differential was the problem, most seemed to be the rubber driveshaft coupler (guibo) or the axles. The first thing I did was changed the differential fluid. The old fluid looked pretty good, no metal shavings or burnt smell. I then filled it back up with Mobil 1 75w90 fluid. No change to the vibration (was fine while the car was cold, but after a few minutes of driving it came back.) Then I changed the guibo out with a Dorman replacement from Advance Auto. The old one had some very small cracks if you bent it with your hands, but was not frayed or badly cracked as most people described. After that, it kind of feels like the vibration got a little better, but is still very noticeable. I only drove the car about 20 minutes after changing it.

I also cut a clamp off the right rear inner axle boot to look at the grease, but there was no signs of water/moisture like people have described in the forums I have read.

I have raised the car on a hoist while in our shop, but cannot replicate the vibration in the air. The differential does make some noise, but I really can't get the vibration to happen in the air.

I am starting to think it may be the differential, but would like to make sure before spending the time and money on one. I can get a used differential with a 6 month warranty for about $300 delivered, not sure what kind of work is involved in changing it though.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 07:11 PM   #2
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

Is it xDrive?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 07:21 PM   #3
thormx11
Rep

Sorry, is that the AWD? This is just a base model 328i, RWD.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 09:47 PM   #4
m3jala
Captain
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2013 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thormx11 View Post
Sorry, is that the AWD? This is just a base model 328i, RWD.
I had a differential go due to an oil leak in my previous car and the car had vibration. However for me it was constant and it was related to the speed of the car. It would start to be noticeable above 40mph. I know you are looking for input on other possible areas before spending on a new unit but wanted to throw my experience in there.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 08:54 AM   #5
thormx11
Rep

There are no leaks coming from the differential, and its not a constant vibration. It seems to be related more to RPMs instead of actual speed, it seems to happen mostly between about 1500-2500 RPMs, in any gear at any speed. The RPMs don't seem to drop/fluctuate when it happens, which makes me believe its not a coil or plug making it misfire.

My guess is that an oil/grease somewhere is warming up and breaking down, which would explain why it is fine cold and only happens after a few minutes of driving.
Appreciate 1
      05-22-2018, 11:01 AM   #6
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

Differentials are so cheap on these cars I would just swap one in if you think that’s the culprit. I’ve bought 2 differentials in great shape off eBay for like $200 delivered so far. And it’s an easy swap takes maybe 2 hours tops.

Also maybe the tires are bad have you tried rotating the tires to see if the vibration moves?

Seems to me it needs to be either driveline (driveshaft out of balance, guibo, or differential) or tire issues since you said it was parked right after new tires. Presumably the vibration started around when new tires installed.

Also if it coincides with engine rpm more than wheel speed have a look into the flywheel leaking. Research that on google.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 11:38 AM   #7
Bimmer Pleaser
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: nothing

I had a similar problem with 2010 328i. Car would start vibrating during torque demand at speed. In other words, if you punched at 0 car would take off with no problem but if you applied moderately on gas at about 50mph car start vibrating as if transmission gears were grinding.

My problem was solved by a simple tranny oil change which is not recommended by BMW and I think that’s nonsense.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 05:00 PM   #8
thormx11
Rep

Transmission fluid was another thing I was thinking about. I don't believe it is tire related, as the issue started before the new tires were installed. Also, it does not feel like the tires have flat spots from sitting (the car was driven just a handful of times while it was parked for a few years) as this vibration feels totally different than flat spots or unbalanced tires. I also don't believe that it is a driveshaft balance issue since it is fine when it is cold, and only starts after the car warms up.

I am thinking to change the transmission fluid first and see if that helps, if not then I will plan on a differential I guess.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 11:43 AM   #9
frenchi
Lieutenant
France
Rep
Drives: F30 340i M Performance

Take a look at realoem with your Vin if you have a GM transimission then it is almost sure your torque converter.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 01:22 PM   #10
thormx11
Rep

It does have the GM transmission. I was kind of thinking a problem with the TC but wouldn't it set a code most likely?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2018, 04:12 AM   #11
frenchi
Lieutenant
France
Rep
Drives: F30 340i M Performance

TC doesn't set up a code,only solenoids did
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 08:02 AM   #12
ImABimmerNow
Rep
Drives: E90 328XI

Hey man did you ever resolve this? My 07 328 is doing the same thing you described. I'm hoping it's the coils, that seems to cause similar symptoms but just like you, is hate to buy parts and do maintenance for nothing
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2018, 10:07 AM   #13
iTrent
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImABimmerNow View Post
Hey man did you ever resolve this? My 07 328 is doing the same thing you described. I'm hoping it's the coils, that seems to cause similar symptoms but just like you, is hate to buy parts and do maintenance for nothing
I currently own an 08' 135i and have this same issue. I have had it before December of 2017 and never got around to it. Took it to BMW, paid for them to look at it, and I got a hard "I don't know". They stated engine coils/spark plugs or transmission issue maybe. Turns out its not the engine coils/spark plugs, we replaced every single one and the issue is still there. I'll add that when I am accelerating, my RPMs seem to do a ticking motion instead of gliding upward. BUT this doesn't rule out a misfire on your vehicle, your situation could have that.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2018, 10:10 AM   #14
ImABimmerNow
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTrent View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImABimmerNow View Post
I currently own an 08' 135i and have this same issue. I have had it before December of 2017 and never got around to it. Took it to BMW, paid for them to look at it, and I got a hard "I don't know". They stated engine coils/spark plugs or transmission issue maybe. Turns out its not the engine coils/spark plugs, we replaced every single one and the issue is still there. I'll add that when I am accelerating, my RPMs seem to do a ticking motion instead of gliding upward.
I've done a lot of research and it's either the plugs/coils, drive shaft u mounts, transfer case, or a wheel balance/alignment issue
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2018, 06:07 PM   #15
Bimmer Pleaser
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: nothing

I think vibration under load all the time may be engine/transmission related. But if it happens only during torque demand at non zero speeds (attempting to accelerate during coasting) it is probably the tranny. If it happens at certain speeds (regardless of torque) then it is probably tires.

Just my thoughts
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 01:16 PM   #16
spenn6367
Registered
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 w/ 250K miles

I had the same problem and thought my tires were out of balance. I took the car to the tire shop, asked them to balance my tires and also check for bent rims (since I inherited the car from a friend). Bingo! I was told I had two bent rims, they put them in the rear, and the car drives 50% better.

I will get the rims fixed and report back.

Have your tires balanced and/or rims checked to see if they're bent.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 02:35 PM   #17
ImABimmerNow
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenn6367 View Post
I had the same problem and thought my tires were out of balance. I took the car to the tire shop, asked them to balance my tires and also check for bent rims (since I inherited the car from a friend). Bingo! I was told I had two bent rims, they put them in the rear, and the car drives 50% better.

I will get the rims fixed and report back.

Have your tires balanced and/or rims checked to see if they're bent.
What were your vibes like? Just at certain speeds at all times? Only when accelerating?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 05:08 PM   #18
Tre'
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 328i Touring

Sounds like the same issue I've had for a while. It seems to be getting worse though. Like you said, the car drives fine for a few miles and then begins to vibrate upon acceleration. Really noticeable after coasting such as accelerating after coasting through a turn. It also gets bad when I sit in a lot of stop and go traffic. Lately, on long drives, it will start vibrating and eventually throw a check engine light for a misfire. The funny thing about that is, I can turn the car off or drive at a steady speed for a few miles and the check engine light will go off.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 10:06 PM   #19
iam5amiam
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i

did anyone ever find the culprit or the solution? i recently purchased a 09' 328i w 44kmi and unfortunately it just began doing the same thing. the car is an automatic, spotless, w 1 original owner and looks and feels like new. the motor is strong, no skipping knocking ect.. the trans seems solid, shifting smoothly(aside from this). everything seems to be fine other than the annoying shake/ vibration i just discovered today. i never felt it while test driving the car. the longer you driving it/ teh hotter everything gets, the more noticeable it becomes. it almost feels like the cars driving over those ridges generally off the outer lanes of the interstate.
Appears to only happen while accelerating from full stop/low speeds - begins when shifting into 2nd, on and off through 3d, and sometimes into 4th. i have discovered that it is not nearly as noticeable if im using the bump shift to manually shift gears, only shaking for a second or 2 between 2d-3d or 3d- 4th if at all. the problem feels more mechanical/computer related rather than alignment/driveshaft to me, possibly the trans control module, solenoid, fluid/filter, something along those lines but honestly i have no idea. im just hoping i didnt get ripped off, please help! any information would be greatly appreciated. thanks for reading
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 10:57 AM   #20
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Perhaps something called the "Vibration Absorber" in the Rear Diff Mount would be something to check out for starters?

Here's the RealOEM page for that part (#7, Vibration Absorber) and TIS procedure for replacement:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=33_1319
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...-drive/Oeqc7wY

Please let us know what you find,
George
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 02:46 PM   #21
LUIZ_1312
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 328i E90

Garage List
2009 328i  [0.00]
Exclamation Omg same here!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iam5amiam View Post
did anyone ever find the culprit or the solution? i recently purchased a 09' 328i w 44kmi and unfortunately it just began doing the same thing. the car is an automatic, spotless, w 1 original owner and looks and feels like new. the motor is strong, no skipping knocking ect.. the trans seems solid, shifting smoothly(aside from this). everything seems to be fine other than the annoying shake/ vibration i just discovered today. i never felt it while test driving the car. the longer you driving it/ teh hotter everything gets, the more noticeable it becomes. it almost feels like the cars driving over those ridges generally off the outer lanes of the interstate.
Appears to only happen while accelerating from full stop/low speeds - begins when shifting into 2nd, on and off through 3d, and sometimes into 4th. i have discovered that it is not nearly as noticeable if im using the bump shift to manually shift gears, only shaking for a second or 2 between 2d-3d or 3d- 4th if at all. the problem feels more mechanical/computer related rather than alignment/driveshaft to me, possibly the trans control module, solenoid, fluid/filter, something along those lines but honestly i have no idea. im just hoping i didnt get ripped off, please help! any information would be greatly appreciated. thanks for reading
YO i have the same rpoblem with my 09 328i, ive checked the quibo and center supports already and there in good condition, i havent gone for an wheel aliagment, but i highly doubt its that. could u let me know if you found out wat it was plz,
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 01:32 AM   #22
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUIZ_1312 View Post
YO i have the same rpoblem with my 09 328i, ive checked the quibo and center supports already and there in good condition, i havent gone for an wheel aliagment, but i highly doubt its that. could u let me know if you found out wat it was plz,

Vibration just under acceleration is almost always an issue with the drivetrain, such as a worn flex disc (giubo), worn center support bearing, worn u-joints, or worn axles. How exactly did you check the giubo and center support bearing? Was it just visual? To properly check the center support bearing and see if the rubber is still good, you'd have to remove the exhaust. While you're in there it might be worth removing the driveshaft completely too and confirming that the u-joints are still good and are not sloppy or binding.

Efthreeoh had an old post I found while searching driveline issues; if I remember correctly he ended up replacing the driveshaft and still had the vibration, later finding out that it was the dual mass flywheel causing the issue. But that's only for the manual transmission.
Appreciate 0