E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > IHKA fault after recall 320d lci.

03-08-2019, 05:58 AM   #1
tragictramp
Registered
Rep
Drives: E91 320D 184 MSPORT

Thumbs down IHKA fault after recall 320d lci.

After Having the Power cable and Heater cable recall, my car returned from bmw sytner newport, with the fans restricted to around 50% power output and a fault code via carista of e72e, they had also damaged my passenger air vent so it doesnt close.

They deny that any of their work could have caused or be anyway related to the fault code/lack of power from the blower and want to charge me for any diagnosis work even though the problem arose as soon as i left the workshop.

I strictly dont went them touching my car again, Sometimes if i disconnect the IHKA interface and plug it back in i get full power, but this seems to stop after a day maximum.

I have a replacement IHKA module, which appeared to be the same but if i install this i get full power but the air con function doesnt work and always warm air.

Is their anything specific i should look out for, I have ISTA+ running but even with resetting the modules trying all of the tests i cant get this fixed.

Hope someone can help,

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 07:37 AM   #2
mata
Registered
Rep
Drives: e90 m3 lci manual

Hi tragictramp. A couple of weeks ago I had the same two recalls done on my 2010 E90 M3. When i droke the car last week after being away with work ive found that the blower fan now doesn't work. I took the car back to them (Haliwell Jones Wilmslow) yesterday and am waiting for someone to call me back about replacing my IHKA panel which has been identified as broken - which i'm refusing to pay for as this clearly isn't a coincidence. My blower doesn't work at all BTW. Have you got anywhere?

Ive just registered with the forum to be able to reply to you, looks like this was your first post too.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 10:16 AM   #3
Sir_Dave
Asset Finance Broker
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e91 335i

They dont go anywhere near the IHKA panel when doing the heater cable recall, so i cant see how the would be the route cause of the issue. They simply chop off the plug that goes into the heater blower and re-wire it into a new plug and re-fit. If the fan doesnt work, its more likely that they havent carried out the re-wire of that pliug correctly id imagine.

There is some further info on a possible reset of the IHKA here: http://bmwcoders.com/forum/bmw-codin...rol-unit-2963/

This may also be an issue relating to battery cable/removal rather than heater cable fix - the cars are well known to have NFRM issues on battery disconnection, so possibly linked.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 06:17 AM   #4
mata
Registered
Rep
Drives: e90 m3 lci manual

So time for a follow up from me for the benefit of those that might happen upon this with a similar issue.

My car was on the shop for 4 weeks whilst BMW and I argued the toss over who was going to pay to fix the broken heater, with delays due to me being away, decision making and then let’s availability. The best offer came in the form of A new heater panel being supplied for free but not fitted as the software initialisation would wipe my remap, but get this, I would still have to pay for it to be fitted. Anyway I eventually agreed to this and after a further delay while the part came on the slow boat from Germany it was discovered that the panel wasn’t broken at all. Quite simply the replacement plug was pinned incorrectly by the tech who did the recall and this was then missed by two further techs.

Something I found when I collected the car four weeks later was a battery discharge warning (not especially surprising) but this did result in the fan not working at full speed until later. This is something I’ve read about before and might explain why the OP of this thread hasn’t been back!!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 08:29 AM   #5
Sir_Dave
Asset Finance Broker
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e91 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mata View Post
Quite simply the replacement plug was pinned incorrectly by the tech who did the recall and this was then missed by two further techs.
Whilst very frustrating, this is fairly unsurprising for the muppets at BMW

Pleased that i got the diagnoses right though lol.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 03:39 PM   #6
BladeR1der666
Rep
Drives: F30 330D LUXURY

Guys, on my car, I've lost all fans, now all fuses are OK, bought new fan resistor to rule that out, I've got no 12v feed to plug on resistor, I do have an earth and a 4v switched feed.... Could my ihka panel be faulty? It lights up so looks wise is OK but... Doesn't mean it may not be faulty.... I have no access to any fiag programs as I'm new to bmw
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 04:58 PM   #7
J0K3R5
Lieutenant
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: BMW

I ended getting a new fan motor + fan control, after it got screwed up after the recall.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 10:16 PM   #8
BladeR1der666
Rep

I put 12v to motor and it worked
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 12:30 PM   #9
BladeR1der666
Rep

Got a replacement ihka panel today, plugged in, nope still no interior fan
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 03:34 PM   #10
N5GKP
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 325i M Sport

I had a fault a while back with a E91 320D having what they seemed to think was an IHKA panel / heated seat issue after the blower cable QE was carried out, through various trawling of wiring diagrams and testing of god knows how many different plugs/wires/components I concluded that the JBE control unit actually had an internal defect which was causing a fault on a different system in the vehicle that was having a knock on effect with the IHKA.

I don't know if that makes sense (I'm tired I apologise!), I can't remember a huge amount about the fault as it was a few months and many hundreds of cars ago, but that could be a possible avenue to investigate?