E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > KV V3 Problem

03-24-2012, 03:13 PM   #265
jrdnlc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328i

I found the problem to this. The KW's come with nuts for the endlink simply dont use those use the OEM nuts. The ones KW's send will get loose because they dont lock like the oem one does. No more sound after I replaced mine with oem.

Heres a picture to compare. OEM nut is black one.

Thank me later
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 06:22 PM   #266
ExpensiveTaste
Poor Kid with Dreams
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 07 E90 335xi

I used the factory nuts and mine squeaks....

'07 BSM 335xi JB4, DCI, CX Racing I/C, ER Chargepipe, Meth, KW V3 - Pending Sale
'95 Mustang GTS 347ci Ported TFS TW Heads,Custom Cam,Victor 5.0 IM,Tubular Front Suspension,Full Exhaust,Big and Littles
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 07:15 PM   #267
sA x sKy
Sameet
Bangladesh
Rep
Drives: AY/B M4 '15

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
I'm using factory nuts as well..I'm going to have the parts lubricated on Monday, hopefully that'll fix it. I mean seriously..these were JUST rebuilt...
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 02:00 PM   #268
Slav_Squat
Rep
Drives: '00 S4/ '13 X5 Diesel

Garage List
2000 Audi S4  [0.00]
Hate to bring such an old thread back to life but did anyone hear anything from KW.

Just picked up a E90 335XI with KW V3, and I have the dreaded chirp on sharp imperfections on the road. If they are smooth rarely a noise...

Replaced sway bar bushing but it wasn't that. I had some coil binding so I installed silencers but still there as well.

Strut mounts are a little rough and was thinking replacing those but found this thread and rather ask before just throwing parts and money at the problem.

Thanks in advance.
      09-25-2019, 09:46 PM   #269
roller84
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i & E60 550i

Garage List
2018 BMW M5  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ob3R View Post
Hate to bring such an old thread back to life but did anyone hear anything from KW.

Just picked up a E90 335XI with KW V3, and I have the dreaded chirp on sharp imperfections on the road. If they are smooth rarely a noise...

Replaced sway bar bushing but it wasn't that. I had some coil binding so I installed silencers but still there as well.

Strut mounts are a little rough and was thinking replacing those but found this thread and rather ask before just throwing parts and money at the problem.

Thanks in advance.
I recently had my second set of V3's rebuilt and installed on the car and they still chirp a lot. It drives me nuts that I can't get rid of this noise.
Pure S2 Turbos | Vargas Outlets | RB Inlets | OEM SS Kit & Performance Steering Wheel| LCI Rear Conversion | Euro Xenons | RD Sport Quad Exhaust | Spearco Intercooler | Cobb V3 | MORR VS7 | KW V3 | H&R Sways | Mtech Bodykit | Vorsteiner CF Hood, CSL Trunk & Front Lip | Quaife LSD | Rotora BBK | GruppeM Intake | Forge UK DV | AR Design Catted DP's
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 07:54 AM   #270
Angel67
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi

I have the chirp. Mostly right side. This did not occur when i first installed (v3 on 2008 335 xi). This started after i reinstalled and did three other things: (1) replaced the strut mounts with brand new ones (so probably not that but who knows), (2) replaced the metal top hats (black) with aluminum top hats, and (3) put in torrington bearings between the spring and the seat. This weekend i removed the torrington bearings and the chirp is still there.

This leads me to think it might be the aluminum top hats. I have examined these and the metal ones and they are not exactly the same shape. The aluminum ones are a bit wider at the bottom and at the top where the rubber spring bushing sits, which prevents the bushing from properly wrapping around the spring. Also, the aluminum ones have a built in washer where the shaft meets the top hat, while the metal ones don't have this and KW supplies a washer.

Since the coil springs are conical, i wonder if the coil is coming into contact with the lower part of the top hat, or whether its just that the rubber bushing isn't properly isolating the spring from the top hat. It could also be that the washer on the aluminum top hats is fixed and so does not rotate, causing friction at high speed compression.

My plan is to swap the top hats back to the metal ones and and use the KW supllied washer and see if that fixes the problem. I will report back when done but this could take a while. This might also explain why the problem is hit and miss, since some cars will have metal top hats and others will have the aluminum ones ...

The V3 kit instructions contemplate either the metal or aluminum top hats, which is why they supply the washer for the metal ones and say not to use it if using the aluminum top hats.

My ask - Can people who have the chirp and people who don't have the chirp please chime in on whether they have the metal (black) or aluminum top hats?
Appreciate 1
deputy2.00
      09-15-2020, 06:54 PM   #271
Angel67
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

So I swapped the aluminum top hats back to the black metal ones. So far, the squeek seems to be gone. I have driven down some of the bumpiest streets and all good so far. There's one particular bump where it used to almost always squeek and I have gone over twice and no squeek.

Also, when we took off the aluminum top hats, we found scuffs on them on the top side where they would be hovering close to the strut mount. The scuffs look like they were caused by the top of the top hat coming into contact with the heads of the three screws that hold the strut mount to the strut tower (you see the nuts on these screws under the hood at the strut towers). Scuffs are round, exactly the same radius as the heads of those screws. I have pics but not sure how to load tbem in this post. Will figure that out tomorrow ...

This makes a bit of sense because when i measured the aluminum top hats their tops sit about 10 mm higher (closer to the strut mounts) than the metal ones, which is also why some people use these to lower the car. But they seem to hit the heads of the screws of the strut mounts on very harsh compressions.

Also, speaking of harsh, I'm finding that the front end is very noticeably less harsh on the road. I think the rubber bushing sits better in the metal too hats and better isolates tbe spring.

Anyway, hopefully this permanently solves the problem and the puzzle. We'll see.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
deputy2.00
      09-15-2020, 07:02 PM   #272
Angel67
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

The scuffs are located at the high point of the top plates. Both sides - left and right - were scuffed but mostly right, and the noise was mostly on the right. If you look carefully you see the shape is the same as the heads of the screws in the strut mount. I have a spare strut mount and will see tomorrow if i can measure the clearance between the screws and the top of the top plate at the high point...
Appreciate 1
deputy2.00
      09-15-2020, 08:32 PM   #273
Angel67
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Actually, i just put an aluminum top hat into a strut mount and i don't think it's possible to have contact between the strut mount and the top hat. Too much space. But still there seems to be a big improvement. May be size and shape relative to rubber bushing, or the washer. We'll see if the noise comes back ...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 06:41 AM   #274
Angel67
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Actually, given the amount of deflection in the rubber bushing in the strut mount, it may be possible for there to be contact. I have to do some testing.

Can people chime in on whether they have aluminum or black metal top hats?
Appreciate 1
deputy2.00
      09-17-2020, 05:34 PM   #275
Angel67
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

I have done some more work on this.

The clearance between the heads of the screws in the strut mount and the top of the aluminum top hats is 7mm without the washers. Add another 5 mm or so for the washers, makes 12 mm of clearance, without any load. The strut mounts have a rubber bushing that is bonded to and holds the metal cylinder through which the shaft of the strut passes and onto which a bolt is fastened at the top to hold the shaft. The top edge of the cylinder is about 9 mm below the top edge of the strut mount, without any load.

Under load (static load), in my car, the top edge of the cylinder is level with the top edge of the strut mount - so the bushing has deflected by about 9mm. That leaves 3mm of clearance between the head of the screws in the strut mount and the top of the top hats. On compression with a sharp or harsh bump, if the rubber bushing deflects an additional 3mm, there will be contact with the top of the top hat, and it will chirp.

I am now convinced that this is the problem (at least in my car). This explains the scuffs in the top hat, which perfectly match the shape of the heads of tbe screws, and the math works, and my problem has not recurred for two days now even though I keep hitting bumps trying to make it recur. As far as I'm concerned, problem solved, and not a KW problem. And otherwise I love my KWs...

Pics below.
Attached Images

Last edited by Angel67; 09-17-2020 at 05:55 PM..
Appreciate 1
deputy2.00
      10-15-2020, 11:33 AM   #276
deputy
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel67 View Post
I have done some more work on this.

The clearance between the heads of the screws in the strut mount and the top of the aluminum top hats is 7mm without the washers. Add another 5 mm or so for the washers, makes 12 mm of clearance, without any load. The strut mounts have a rubber bushing that is bonded to and holds the metal cylinder through which the shaft of the strut passes and onto which a bolt is fastened at the top to hold the shaft. The top edge of the cylinder is about 9 mm below the top edge of the strut mount, without any load.

Under load (static load), in my car, the top edge of the cylinder is level with the top edge of the strut mount - so the bushing has deflected by about 9mm. That leaves 3mm of clearance between the head of the screws in the strut mount and the top of the top hats. On compression with a sharp or harsh bump, if the rubber bushing deflects an additional 3mm, there will be contact with the top of the top hat, and it will chirp.

I am now convinced that this is the problem (at least in my car). This explains the scuffs in the top hat, which perfectly match the shape of the heads of tbe screws, and the math works, and my problem has not recurred for two days now even though I keep hitting bumps trying to make it recur. As far as I'm concerned, problem solved, and not a KW problem. And otherwise I love my KWs...

Pics below.
Awesome investigation Angel67!

Has the chirping returned since swapping top-hats?? I've been putting up with the chirping for about 50,000 miles and this seems to be a simple enough fix.

I've also been considering the HPA Swift spring upgrade for the V3's, which looks like it eliminates the tophats. Hopefully that will solve the chirping in my case.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 12:56 PM   #277
Raptor04
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

I have used HPA machined kw front spring perches for sale in the FS section if interested. These allow use of any 60mm metric coilover springs with KW front struts. struts.
      10-19-2020, 03:24 PM   #278
Angel67
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Sadly, the chirp is back. Still happy I changed the top hats because they were definitely coming into contact with the strut mount, which can't be good for the strut towers. Will investigate further....
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 03:31 PM   #279
Angel67
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor04 View Post
I have used HPA machined kw front spring perches for sale in the FS section if interested. These allow use of any 60mm metric coilover springs with KW front struts. struts.
But if the problem is the strut this won't help...

What I have noticed:

1. Temperature matters. Definitely chirps more when cold.

2. Never chips when I hit a bump with no drop in pavement. That is, if there is no depression in the pavement and it's just a bump, no chirp. Only chirps if the pavement drops suddenly and then is followed by a bump - like a pot hole.

3. Never chirps or makes any noise on "low speed" movement. Only on sudden drop/bump - suggesting it's the "high speed" valving, which is not adjustable. That said, I don't know if this might be affected if you play with the "low speed" compression or rebound adjustments. I will try. Problem is I like my adjustments where they are. And in theory this should not affect it but you never know.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2022, 09:27 PM   #280
angusugna
Registered
Rep
Drives: e36 M3

Hate to be the one bringing this back to life. Did anyone ever find the culprit? KW have been about as useful as a screen door on a submarine and this chirp makes me not even want to get in my car.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2023, 04:14 PM   #281
It'sNotTurboTime
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 128i

Coming from the 1addicts side, found this thread searching reliability information. I've been researching what coilovers I'd like to save up for and landed on the ST XTA as a great budget starter that can easily be upgraded to stiffer springs in the future if needed.

I notice people have this issue in V2s as well. Have there been reports of this issue with ST coilovers? Particularly with the clubsport camber plates? (I thought I finally had this suspension business figured out and I could move onto researching other things. But now I'm worried).

*Edit* Is this the stand experience people get for customer service with KW? Or are they usually better?

Last edited by It'sNotTurboTime; 08-09-2023 at 04:16 PM.. Reason: further clarification questions
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2023, 05:31 PM   #282
Angel67
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

My problem has been solved by swapping out the struts for a new set of V3 struts. I have not had the slightest chirp since then. KW was more than helpful in my case. Call them...
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2023, 10:11 AM   #283
Peter Morrin
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90(sedan) 328xi

In response to Its Not Turbo Time;

I have the ST adjustable kit from KW. No chirps and excellent control for daily driver on Canadian roads in all weather. The problem is the rear shocks which start leaking prematurely. I am about to replace the rear ST shocks with KW V3 adjustable shocks purchased second hand. Not yet able to comment on this combination, but the ST suspension is excellent in my opinion and a lot less money than the KW V1 or 3. I am not sure the stainless bodies hold up that much better than the painted steel, although they should. I am going to coat everything in Green Rust Check and see how it holds up.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2023, 10:36 AM   #284
Angel67
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

I am also on Canadian roads - in montreal, where the bumps and potholes can be severe. The V3s are just great. Mine is an xi so KW does not offer an electronic damper adjustment option (DDC?), but that option is (or was) available for the rear wheel drive models. Great to have I would think...
Appreciate 0