E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > $198.00 2.5" Downpipes - INSTALLED

01-22-2010, 12:06 PM   #67
D.yi
Major
Rep
Drives: SB e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklocust View Post
I think for comparison purposes, these should dyno around the same as the VKs since the diameter is in fact 2.5"

Really not bad for the price but I would personally invest in the premium brands since I'm keeping the car for a while. For the lease folks, it totally makes sense!
is 7 hp worth 500 dollars? if these hold up in the durability department and produce vk number these sound like a great deal. i personally dont think 7 hp is worth 500 dollars. unless you are building a straight up stripped out race car. so for the price of 7 hp i can get a front mount...
      01-22-2010, 12:09 PM   #68
Jonny550
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.yi View Post
is 7 hp worth 500 dollars? if these hold up in the durability department and produce vk number these sound like a great deal. i personally dont think 7 hp is worth 500 dollars. unless you are building a straight up stripped out race car. so for the price of 7 hp i can get a front mount...
well said good sir.

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 12:13 PM   #69
Jonny550
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar design View Post
I hope that was a joke.
why are you posting comments in this thread and every other vendor is not maybe becuase they know to stay away from it cause they know these are going make them lose some type of business and are thinking what to do next did you notice how your the only downpipe vendor that posted in this thread and all the other ones did not. Man you confuse me, No offense but you got to find something else to do.

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 12:15 PM   #70
wazup773
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335xi Sedan

Mad props for doing this! Post a video I really want to know how this sounds!! Such a amazing price
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 12:17 PM   #71
Chefcg1
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

I'm very glad someone pulled the trigger and tried these out. I probably would have if they had been an option before I was involved with tthe VK GB. I'm very much considering the ebay exhaust.
2008 335i coupe AW 6AT, RB Turbos, PROcede 2.5 V5, Alpina Flash, Injen Intake, VK MW DP . Helix IC, Vishnu PnP Meth(M10 nozzel), M3 sides, OEM Aero Lip, VMR V710 Midnight Blue, LUX H8, HID Fogs, M3 front bits, D2 Coilovers, Whiteline Rear Bushing inserts, Custom M3 Steering Wheel, Cyba scoops, M2 Performance Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 12:32 PM   #72
iBoost
Retired e90post Member
Rep
Drives: real slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon335iFL View Post
why are you posting comments in this thread and every other vendor is not maybe becuase they know to stay away from it cause they know these are going make them lose some type of business and are thinking what to do next did you notice how your the only downpipe vendor that posted in this thread and all the other ones did not. Man you confuse me, No offense but you got to find something else to do.

we want audio now!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 12:43 PM   #73
thefireant
Just browsing for now...
Rep
Drives: 2006 Pontiac GTO

These look very promising. Even if it is 7whp less then the other pipes it is worth it to me. IM sure a FMIC or STETT CAI will add a bit more then 7whp to make up for it.

Cannot wait to here these paired with the ebay exhaust.

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 01:02 PM   #74
Vince@ V K Motorwerks
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 01 Black 911 Turbo, 09 X5

Although I cant attest to the quality of these downpipes, They are probably as good as any other downpipe with the same design in the market place. Contrary to what some Vendor's want you to believe, there is only so much R&D and science you can put into a pipe. I sell ours at $300 cause if something happens we will simply swap your old ones out for a new set. Honestly, there is always going to be a spectrum of quality for any component in the market place. YOU as the customer have to look past the marketing BS, use a little logic and figure out where you would like to spend YOUR money. Some people want a downpipe to do only what it is designed to do, move hot gases away from the engine without the restriction of the stock cats. Others want to have the best quality, maximum hp giving, or just most expensive downpipes.

A downpipe is not going to cause a catastrophic failure like a bad intercooler, oil cooler, tune, or ebay turbo. Sorry for the rant, I’m just tired of the BS.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 01:13 PM   #75
jblackwell
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince@ V K Motorwerks View Post
Sorry for the rant, I’m just tired of the BS.
That was not a rant, no need for an apology.
      01-22-2010, 01:29 PM   #76
AlpineG05
hi
Rep
Drives: Alpine White G05

though the quality is not like my ar dps, they should work out just fine for you. some people just have different taste that's all.
      01-22-2010, 01:31 PM   #77
blisstik
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92

Good point. 7hp isn't really worth $500 dollars but durability is. I'm just assuming for $200, these won't last long but you'll never know and I'm not going to wait a year or so to see how they're doing.

So... my point is, it's quite a gamble if you plan to keep your car for a long time. For leasers, different story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.yi View Post
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 01:41 PM   #78
Scimitar335i
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

AR Design..no one is is doubting the quality of your downpipes this just gives us better options. Spend less on a DP and get a better IC or vice versa. Not everyone will be flocking to get these particular DPs as your product's reputation has spoken for itself. Its safe to say you hold the standard for DP quality and performance.

I guess we don't have to call these ebay DPs anymore. Hello Raceland downpipes!!!
      01-22-2010, 01:50 PM   #79
Htown09
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklocust View Post
Good point. 7hp isn't really worth $500 dollars but durability is. I'm just assuming for $200, these won't last long but you'll never know and I'm not going to wait a year or so to see how they're doing.

So... my point is, it's quite a gamble if you plan to keep your car for a long time. For leasers, different story.

People don't realize they speak with their credit card.

Does AR design use Chinese labor in their products?
Does VK use them?
I know Raceland does for sure, I talked to the owner.

Let's see, Chinese workers can be paid as little as 9 cents an hour with no labor law's protecting them.

You buy products made by them YOU are saying that is fine by you

And before some Einstein chimes in with "What about BMW, buy American" BMW workers work in a state of the art facility and get paid well. It's not about that, it's about looking after people that are being exploited and doing something about it.

Sorry for the it's sometimes we don't think about where things come from we just see the price tag and want to try them out. No harm in that just have to think a little deeper. I know it's hard for some people and they just get but it's true.

Now, who is going to go undercover and find the Chinese person making these downpipes and find out their living and working conditions and report back to us.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 02:04 PM   #80
RambleJ
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown09 View Post

Does VK use them?

Let's see, Chinese workers can be paid as little as 9 cents an hour with no labor law's protecting them.

And before some Einstein chimes in with "What about BMW, buy American" BMW workers work in a state of the art facility and get paid well. It's not about that, it's about looking after people that are being exploited and doing something about it.

Sorry for the it's sometimes we don't think about where things come from we just see the price tag and want to try them out. No harm in that just have to think a little deeper. I know it's hard for some people and they just get but it's true.

Now, who is going to go undercover and find the Chinese person making these downpipes and find out their living and working conditions and report back to us.
Might as well go and throw out all your Nike's too while your at it.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 02:19 PM   #81
._.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

so every time I consider buying a product I need to research the name and address of every person who may have come in contact with it? Come on.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 02:58 PM   #82
zke36
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Montego 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown09 View Post

Does VK use them?

Your talking about literally 95% of the stuff that you own.
I dont endorse the cheap overseas labor but if your about promoting the world and US economy your much better buying the $100 Chinese pipes, giving $100 to AR design or another US company as a donation, and another $200 donation to china which at 9 cents is 1,000 labor hours of salary. You also save $300, everyone wins.

Porsche 935DP
'07 Montego E92 335i
BMS CAI - PROcede V4

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 03:30 PM   #83
possible335i2008
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Although I cant attest to the quality of these downpipes, They are probably as good as any other downpipe with the same design in the market place. Contrary to what some Vendor's want you to believe, there is only so much R&D and science you can put into a pipe. I sell ours at $300 cause if something happens we will simply swap your old ones out for a new set. Honestly, there is always going to be a spectrum of quality for any component in the market place. YOU as the customer have to look past the marketing BS, use a little logic and figure out where you would like to spend YOUR money. Some people want a downpipe to do only what it is designed to do, move hot gases away from the engine without the restriction of the stock cats. Others want to have the best quality, maximum hp giving, or just most expensive downpipes.

A downpipe is not going to cause a catastrophic failure like a bad intercooler, oil cooler, tune, or ebay turbo. Sorry for the rant, I’m just tired of the BS.
FINALLY! Some common sense and something you don't see from anyone selling stuff the TRUTH..these pipes are probably just as good as anything else out there if you are looking to ring out every HP possible then a 3 inch setup is cool but cmon 700 dollars... and durability as an issue may be a little bit over-the-top..I mean plenty of eBay parts do the job so big ups to VK I wish ur intercooler group buy was still on I would be in
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 03:57 PM   #84
dmurray14
The Stig
United_States
Rep
Drives: Quickly

Quote:

Thanks for the straight talk. I think I'll buy a set of your DPs just because I didn't have to sit here and listen to you BS me about weld quality, longevity, etc. A little honesty is nice.
      01-22-2010, 04:03 PM   #85
RambleJ
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmurray14 View Post
Thanks for the straight talk. I think I'll buy a set of your DPs just because I didn't have to sit here and listen to you BS me about weld quality, longevity, etc. A little honesty is nice.
+1 Props to VK!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 04:13 PM   #86
Vince@ V K Motorwerks
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 01 Black 911 Turbo, 09 X5

Thanks guys. I wasnt really doing it to get props. Im here to offer alternative options. I have about 6 sets in stock left so if you want I'll give them away for $199+shipping. However, I will not give only a 1 year warrenty on them.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 04:33 PM   #87
._.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Thanks guys. I wasnt really doing it to get props. Im here to offer alternative options. I have about 6 sets in stock left so if you want I'll give them away for $199+shipping. However, I will not give only a 1 year warrenty on them.
Im in
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 04:43 PM   #88
IL X5 M60i
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40

Quote:
These fit an XI?
Appreciate 0