E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > has anyone installed this Costco H7 in a 335 or E9x?

11-29-2020, 09:41 AM   #1
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

has anyone installed this Costco H7 in a 335 or E9x?

The only replacement I ever got, I paid the dealer $280 for an OE.

I know that I can register using Rheingold and there's even an option (not sure why) to indicate it's not OE.

Specs slightly different than the 720 CCA and 90 ah of the OE--

765 CCA and 80 ah.

The reason I am sold on Costco is our other cars have it, and due to the pandemic somehow my wife's GM had the battery died after 4 days of not being driven, 2 years old. It was so effortless with Costco to get a free replacement--the car had an airbag issue after the battery died, jumped, cleared codes and the battery now tested fine???! But since no explanation on what happened I felt better getting a replacement. Zero problems since with the replacement.

So imagine being being able to bring the BMW on board with the Costco warranty.

Any ideas/advice? I thought the 80 ah isn't the end of the world when registering an aftermarket battery as same specs as OE....if there's a compelling argument then OK pay the dealer parts price....

https://costco.interstatebatteries.c...345&Country=US

edit looks like Protool or Carly would easily change the car to 80 ah and then we could be set for life. The interesting thing about Costco, and I asked the guy at the store, but saw someone mention it online, is that when you get the replacement, the warranty starts all over again. Probably the reason is the fact that the swap is treated as if you returned the old one, got a refund, and bought a new one. Again, Costco FTW....

Last edited by John 070; 11-29-2020 at 10:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 10:28 AM   #2
ewicky
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335xi 4D AT

Where do you live? How do you use your car?

Unless you're in the arctic, I'd go (and did go) with an H5 from Costco. It's the smallest they have (the guy looked at me funny when I asked for an H4). Not insignificant weight reduction, and plenty of CA and RC for a 6 cylinder engine in any reasonable climate. Register with the closest approximation of Ah. Honestly it's the AGM vs FLA criteria that matters more in the registration process than the Ah. It adapts the Ah over time anyways. The AGM vs FLA apparently slighyy changes the charging voltage, which does matter.

I have iDrive and frequently use every every electronic device available in my car, even parked car ventilation and residual heating mode. I do not have comfort access/proximity.

As with any FLA battery, stick it on an old, hot, shop charger once a year or so (like when doing other mechanical work) to give it a little bit of an equalization charge and check the water. Will last 5+ years no problem.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 10:38 AM   #3
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Live in the Phila. suburbs and car does a fair amount of sitting, do feel AGM unnecessary (not convinced there is any benefit and no means as I type of coding, but it kinda sounds like 90 ah that the car is coded as, and 80 ah, is not a big deal, even per the Protool website)....again I've mentioned it I got my battery replaced at 5 y.o. which was kinda dumb, an aunt used her original BMW battery 9+ years...even the dealer told me I didn't need it but I insisted lol Still seems OK but battery is creeping up on 9 y.o. now (I haven't load tested it for whatever reason I do it to every car but the BMW for fear of damaging the IBS or whatever)
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 10:39 AM   #4
Smgs1992
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 335i

Went with a H6 from advanced auto and it’s been fine. Significant weight reduction from the oem H8 i dropped i think 25lbs in weight
07 E92 335i 6MT, MMP inlets, DCI, VRSF 7.5 competition intercooler, VRSF catless downpipes, VRSF chargepipe, 335is clutch, Vader Solutions stage 2 LPFP, MHD stage 2+, Hawk HPS 5.0 pads, R1 Concepts drilled slotted rotors, TSW Nurburgring 19x8 19x9.5
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 10:55 AM   #5
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Costco has Interstates now where I live.

Costco has Interstates now where I live.
I have an Interstate megatron 49/H8 in mine it's been
going on 8 years now . I do put in on a Ctek a couple times
a month overnight.

The thing about an H8 is it has a lot more amp hours and these
cars are battery hogs.
Appreciate 0