E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Frustrated cheap n54 water pump thoughts about class action lawsuit?

12-28-2016, 06:23 PM   #23
sk55
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 335xi coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
My 98 Maxima served the same purpose as your VR6. Different technology, original water pump @ 244k blah blah blah

Old style water pumps weep before going bad. Newer electric ones, the owner weeps
ditto here

i got 99 volvo with 250k miles more reliable.

or 2001 audi a4... if i got travel far...lol
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2016, 06:25 PM   #24
sk55
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
What advancements....

We're all owners here, so we all have skin in the game. I doubt anyone here would expect BMW to be #1, #2, or #3 for reliability.

If Germans built reliable cars, who here would not buy a 2006 A8 used, as a daily driver? It's depreciated about $64k over 10 years, and is still a very, very, nice ride. The person who does snag such a car, does understand its reliability. If pigs flew, we'd all be riding in 2008 750's and never encountering any repairs.

Seriously, ABS failure is $4,200 at the dealer, and plagues the E9x. One can't just buy the car and ignore it, one could do 3 water pumps for that.
wow.. never heard about abs failures on the N54... interesting...

but ABS.. u dont need it to drive...
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2016, 06:32 PM   #25
sk55
First Lieutenant
Rep

well

2 options i see...

i emailed a few lawyers see if they get back to me...

option 2:

i am an Electrical Engineer... let me see if i can find a someone to give us an aftermarket solution... we can do some sort of gofundme to start the R&D...

any help would be appreciated... i still have my old water pump... i gonna disect it when i have a chance.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2016, 07:05 PM   #26
sk55
First Lieutenant
Rep

well great news guys i talked to DON one of the owners of

www.meziere.com

https://www.meziere.com/Products/Coo...ic.aspx?page=9

he agreed to research and possible find us a better aftermarket solution for our n54 water pumps.

i plead every pissed of n54 owner... to email don and tell how badly ur pump sucks! so he sees the demand for a reliable water pump for our cars.

donm@meziere.com

blast dons email if you love ur 335i !!!!
obviously more emails... would be helpful!!

donm@meziere.com
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2016, 08:38 PM   #27
Captain comic
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi

Is water pump for 335 different than on 328? Surprisingly mine didn't failed yet, it's 2008, so imho it's probably more mileage related rather than age, but it's just my anecdotal experience
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2016, 09:35 PM   #28
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

Yes its different.
Appreciate 1
      12-28-2016, 09:51 PM   #29
Captain comic
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
Yes its different.
So maybe a stupid question, but just out of curiosity to follow up, have there been any class action on 328 waterpump? I'm only asking because if there haven't - then I think its a moot point for 335 as 328 production was 3 times higher in numbers. I highly doubt lawyers would have missed that opportunity if it was realistically doable. I mean maybe it's better to just direct efforts to source some reliable aftermarket solution instead. Just saying
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 12:25 AM   #30
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

What would be the class action's claim? That some part of the car failed? Or it is a safety issue?
Unless people start getting into accidents because of pump failure, it is difficult to argue safety issue. Not like an airbag.
For failing more than it is supposed to, BMW gives 5 year 50Kmiles warranty. If it fails within that, they repair it. Outside of it, they don't claim anything would last anyway, since they don't warranty.
And because the failure time is so unpredictable, some of them last years and miles, some break early on, one cannot claim that BMW knowingly did not correct a faulty equipment within warranty.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 05:37 AM   #31
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

I replaced mine proactively at 170,000 miles because I had a AC compressor failure and I was already in the neighborhood and knew it was a matter of time. I don't know that this issue is as common as we think because folks don't post when they don't have a problem with a component.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 09:13 AM   #32
sk55
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaseP View Post
What would be the class action's claim? That some part of the car failed? Or it is a safety issue?
Unless people start getting into accidents because of pump failure, it is difficult to argue safety issue. Not like an airbag.
For failing more than it is supposed to, BMW gives 5 year 50Kmiles warranty. If it fails within that, they repair it. Outside of it, they don't claim anything would last anyway, since they don't warranty.
And because the failure time is so unpredictable, some of them last years and miles, some break early on, one cannot claim that BMW knowingly did not correct a faulty equipment within warranty.
Do you expect ur engine to fail at 20k or 40k?

The point is replacement pumps are failing at 20k or 40k. It's not a few it's all over the internet. A water pump is critical component historically lasting at least 100k.

There are no after market options. They suck.

Their class action lawsuit won on sludge issues on Audi. And. Bad engines
On Benz. Benz repaired all the bad engines and extend warranty 125k miles.

This strictly 335i cause 328 water pump is better design and they don't get as hot as 335i.

Issue it's expensive and costly to replace. Imagine ur fellow driver
Going to shop getting it fixed 3x with only 56k miles on the car.

When we're talking oil change 15k range. And ur water pump fails at 20k miles. That's a problem. I mean it's not Ferrari or Aston Martin.

There enough complaints with a google search that it's known issue. I also encountered it on my 2 n54s.

IMO opinion any decent should able to go 50k without breakdown require a tow.

Prior 2006. 330 series. Mechanical water pump no problems getting 100k no tow. That's how reliable bimmer we're.

This is strictly n54 discussion. Because pierburg makes nice pumps for 328
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 10:06 AM   #33
roundle
EXPAT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 VW GTI;18 CX9;11 E91 N52

My 2011 E91's N52 water pump never gave me a problem through the 123K miles of ownership. That said, after 90K, I watched for symptoms like a hawk.

It's worth noting that many cars, including the Honda B-series engines (that powered the Integra GSR/R and S2000) had scheduled water pump replacements at 105K miles. This service, with belts, was over $1K.

Interesting that the N55's replacement has gone back to a mechanical pump for primary cooling and an electronic pump for secondary cooling. Perhaps BMW learned its lesson with electric pumps?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 10:18 AM   #34
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk55 View Post
there a class action on takata

http://www.labaton.com/en/cases/Taka...ass-Action.cfm

i dont think most people understand a class lawsuit (a lawyer can chime in correct me) but all it takes a bunch of documented incidences... the lawyers get paid millions when they win... the bmw or benz owner are happy cause they got their motors fixed or what not.

a little google u'll see their fairly common for autos.
I got $9 check from a GE lightbulb without even asking. And endless subscriptions to identify theft protection. It's the law firms that win through these frivolous suits--we all end up paying i.e. the general public. Imagine driving a Lexus, and having to pay for a BMW owner's water pump. Genius!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 10:56 AM   #35
litxus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaseP View Post
I would think it is a safety issue, as there is no warning at all and it kills the car right away. Very dangerous, depending on the place you are at (imagine passing on two lane road). I was glad mine happened some distance away from construction, which had only one lane and concrete blocks on both sides. Not sure how would I have gotten out of that one if it completely failed there. But you probably right, as if there are no accidents involving this issue and some media coverage, it will be brushed off.

As for BMW knowing the issue, I'm 99% sure they know (it has been a while since first 335i, and you can easily see how many were replaced or how many parts were bought). As any corporation, they don't want to spend any money, unless they are forced to.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 11:08 AM   #36
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by litxus View Post
I would think it is a safety issue, as there is no warning at all and it kills the car right away. Very dangerous, depending on the place you are at (imagine passing on two lane road). I was glad mine happened some distance away from construction, which had only one lane and concrete blocks on both sides. Not sure how would I have gotten out of that one if it completely failed there. But you probably right, as if there are no accidents involving this issue and some media coverage, it will be brushed off.

As for BMW knowing the issue, I'm 99% sure they know (it has been a while since first 335i, and you can easily see how many were replaced or how many parts were bought). As any corporation, they don't want to spend any money, unless they are forced to.
I made some money on the FB IPO. And, am part of a class action. This is our legal system. I gained through the shares, and thanks to people who lost initiating a class action, I might get even more money. It's truly nonsense.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 07:32 PM   #37
Herakles
Captain
Rep
Drives: United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk55 View Post
guys,

first let me start i love my n54... despite its quirks... no other issues.

but what really pisses me off is the cheap plastic VDO continental water pump...

wife n54 failed at 80k.

i just replaced mine at 83k....

i actually tried to use the pierburg wp which is all metal... although electrical connector is the same... the mounting holes are slightly offset.. also the are no mounting holes for the thermostat.

i did a little google check these pumps have been failing like around 50k or less miles for replacements?

just wondering if any one else is interested in filing a class action lawsuit about this. I emailed a lawyer who specalizes in these cases against bmw...

just seeing if there enough interest with n54 owners to do it?

coming from e46... i got a stewart pump with lifetime warranty.

that was 2005...

i goto 98 volvo with water pump with a life of at least 10 years.

2010 i got a new bmw plastic electric pump, probably located the hottest area in the car... with cheap plastic that cracks with vibration? which cost like $500?

if there wp upgrade that cost 2k... that lasted 100k miles i would get it... unfortunately we dont have that option.

i wouldn't complain if this was honda civic... but this a damn bmw.

Get this:
My 2011 335, has only 24K miles- the water pump went a few weeks ago!!!! thankfully, it was covered under the warranty... Absurd.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 03:42 AM   #38
Rolo335i
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

Talking

You could buy a water pump from FCP Euro and it comes with a lifetime warranty. So all you would have to do is take a few hours and install it once it goes out. You save money in the end with the lifetime warranty .
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 07:07 AM   #39
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo335i View Post
You could buy a water pump from FCP Euro and it comes with a lifetime warranty. So all you would have to do is take a few hours and install it once it goes out. You save money in the end with the lifetime warranty .
That is true, and they do honor the warranty.

anyway, say a person feels a water pump should not break at 50k. Or a DSC Hydro pump should not fail at 47k.

These two items at the dealer run approx $6,500, on a 3 Series. How are you arriving at the conclusion that these two parts should not fail and cost that much, and we should sue BMW? What are you comparing these failures to, to conclude they shouldn't have failed?

We all think that German cars offer us prestige, they are well designed, have excellent road manners, and get us women.

think about this, you can buy a 2006 A8 for around $13k, with 78k miles. This car listed for about $80-$83k when new. There's a pretty obvious reason why it costs $13k, or less than a CPO 2014 (not 2014.5) Camry, with 36k.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 07:13 AM   #40
e36power
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
I don't think it could be a lawsuit, I don't even think there's one on Takata and folks are still driving their cars with no resolution. That's way more serious.

540i drivers had lots of issues with water pumps, they just ditched their cars, they didn't sue. Suing is not the answer imho.
This.

I haven't read the whole thread, but I will make this contribution: My 335i has gone through two water pumps in 100k and a whole new cooling system. Then again, every BMW I have ever owned has needed to have its cooling system replaced somewhere around 100k miles. Kind of something you know your going to have to deal with going into it.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 05:19 PM   #41
sk55
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herakles View Post
Get this:
My 2011 335, has only 24K miles- the water pump went a few weeks ago!!!! thankfully, it was covered under the warranty... Absurd.
Exactly my point! They new it sucked in 2007 to 2010.
And the bmw engineer still didn't get 2011.

Yup I think mechanical for primary. And
Electric for secondary for the turbo would be better idea.

That sucks man.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 05:28 PM   #42
sk55
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That is true, and they do honor the warranty.

anyway, say a person feels a water pump should not break at 50k. Or a DSC Hydro pump should not fail at 47k.

These two items at the dealer run approx $6,500, on a 3 Series. How are you arriving at the conclusion that these two parts should not fail and cost that much, and we should sue BMW? What are you comparing these failures to, to conclude they shouldn't have failed?

We all think that German cars offer us prestige, they are well designed, have excellent road manners, and get us women.

think about this, you can buy a 2006 A8 for around $13k, with 78k miles. This car listed for about $80-$83k when new. There's a pretty obvious reason why it costs $13k, or less than a CPO 2014 (not 2014.5) Camry, with 36k.
Well I know Audi suck I got a4.

I comparing to 2005 330xi. Usually as technology get better ur water pump should at least last 100k. I don't care about cost. I care about getting randomly stranded on blind spot. Ending up in multi vehicle pile up.

Ok get me reliable to 60k without worry. I'll take that.
But people are already posting on the thread of failures at 20k.

If ur saying bmw well engineered car. They really dropped the ball
On critical component.

I know u mentioned all thing above prestige etc. but I want to cross 3 different states without my german car failing on me.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 05:30 PM   #43
sk55
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36power View Post
This.

I haven't read the whole thread, but I will make this contribution: My 335i has gone through two water pumps in 100k and a whole new cooling system. Then again, every BMW I have ever owned has needed to have its cooling system replaced somewhere around 100k miles. Kind of something you know your going to have to deal with going into it.
I agree. 100k no problem. 60k fine

But 20k.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 05:50 PM   #44
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain comic View Post
So maybe a stupid question, but just out of curiosity to follow up, have there been any class action on 328 waterpump? I'm only asking because if there haven't - then I think its a moot point for 335 as 328 production was 3 times higher in numbers. I highly doubt lawyers would have missed that opportunity if it was realistically doable. I mean maybe it's better to just direct efforts to source some reliable aftermarket solution instead. Just saying
I would think something like the ABS module problem would be more likely to qualify for a class action lawsuit because it impacts the safety of the vehicle since your DSC and ABS stop working. With the water pump, they can claim that the yellow exclamation point allows you to pull over and call for help.

Although when the pump on my GF's car shit the bed it seemed like a 30 second warning, and we barely got to the shoulder of the highway in time.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 0