E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > DPF not regenerating

10-28-2019, 10:43 AM   #1
Martyn335Ci
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i coupe Crimson Red

DPF not regenerating

Hi guys, i have 2008 e91 325d lci (145kW - old M57 engine).
I got troubles with DPF, 480A and 481A errors showed up.
I´ve checked with carly and find out serious Soot Mass values (around 50g), Ash is not that bad (8.5g - i had DPF on ultrasonic cleaning about 3 yrs ago).
So i refilled the tank, cleared the errors and tried to request the regeneration on highway while maintaing ca 120kmh on 5th gear. However the soot values went down very slowly (smallest figures i´ve seen around 46g) and while i came back to city it went back up immediatelly.
What can be the problem? I´ve checked the coolant temp in carly and it showed 80-84C, so it is probably too low? Bad thermostat? On diagnostic (carly it did not showed any other error then dpf...
Thanks for answers
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 01:05 PM   #2
Captain Buumer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325D

Hey you have the same engine as i do

Thermostat would be first thing to look at suspiciously.

I also had quite low temps around ~ 78 C actually and DPF did not really enjoy doing it's cycles. Also car was screaming 480A and 481A codes at me. I was really confused and tried to do the trick to clear the codes with INPA while driving and hope to trigger a DPF cycle... It never happened.

Replaced both thermostats with OEM (EGR has one too). Read that cheaper ones are hit and miss to get quality one so didn't really want to gamble risking doing same work again and opted for OEM instead. Changing them was not that difficult but still everything is jammed together like a puzzle. Also In my case had one glow plug error that supposedly shouldn't prevent DPF from regenerating. However DPF cycle never begun and ended up replacing glow plug module (that was actually faulty due to it's awkward design by using tiny little wires that draw quite big current which desolder themselves over time).

Poured some DPF additive made by Liqui-Moly.

Went for a ride using ISTA to trigger a DPF regen and oh man the smell was awful that came out. Something similar like grilling 4 week old steak thta was left out by the sun. Temps rose to ~97 C while regen was happening. This got rid of the codes and put the car into normal mode where it can do regens by it's own liking.

Now that i use the additive every fillup regens happen quite rarely even with short trips.

Hope it helps.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 01:13 PM   #3
Martyn335Ci
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i coupe Crimson Red

Thanks for info
Well the temps are suspicous, should be higher but dpf should be regenerating from 75C and i have 80-84 so ut shouldn ´t be it..
I have had all glow plugs including module replaced at last dpf issue about that 3yrs ago and carly did not found other error then dpf so i guess they should be ok? Car starts perfect at any conditions..
Well if i wont find anything else i ´ll start with that thermostat anyway..
Appreciate 0