E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E90 steering noise?

09-30-2016, 10:34 PM   #1
sy2767
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2013 x5

E90 steering noise?

My car started making an odd sound today, when in park I turn the steering wheel back and forth it will randomly make a loud noise like something cracking/popping. Any ideas? Its a 2011 335 Xdrive with 76xxx kms, and its just my luck that my warrenty just expired....
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2016, 03:54 AM   #2
frenchi
Lieutenant
France
Rep
Drives: F30 340i M Performance

Check and tighten your steering rack bolts...next will be lower steering shaft
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2016, 04:40 AM   #3
F22_Raptor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

Low on fluid? Leakage of PS fluid?
      10-01-2016, 07:28 AM   #4
sy2767
Major
No_Country
Rep

Zero leaks but now that I think about it the car also seems to handle differently at Hwy speeds, squishy is the best way I can describe it.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2016, 10:27 AM   #5
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sy2767
Zero leaks but now that I think about it the car also seems to handle differently at Hwy speeds, squishy is the best way I can describe it.
At 76k, it could be lots things. Strut bearings could be starting to go.

The suspension (shocks & struts) is most likely on its last leg.

I'd look at your tie rods. Lemforder is the OEM provider. Can get them for $60.00 each unless you want to pay the BMW tax, then their $120 each.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2016, 10:24 AM   #6
sy2767
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post

I'd look at your tie rods. Lemforder is the OEM provider. Can get them for $60.00 each unless you want to pay the BMW tax, then their $120 each.

My brother in law (red seal mech) and i checked out the entire car and everything is tight and solid with zero fluid leaks. Checked the front subframe bolts and torqued them to 80ftlbs, 2 of them needed to be tightened to that spec while the others just clicked the wrench. Have not heard anything since but I'm starting to thing its the upper strut bearings.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2016, 10:49 AM   #7
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sy2767
Quote:

My brother in law (red seal mech) and i checked out the entire car and everything is tight and solid with zero fluid leaks. Checked the front subframe bolts and torqued them to 80ftlbs, 2 of them needed to be tightened to that spec while the others just clicked the wrench. Have not heard anything since but I'm starting to thing its the upper strut bearings.
Well, like I sort of alluded to, when you get past 75k your suspension is on borrowed time. Certainly past 100k it's gone.

Easiest way to check it is to pull a shock from the rear and compress it to the ground. If it's real easy to compress and it doesn't come back, it's gone.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2016, 11:04 AM   #8
sy2767
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Well, like I sort of alluded to, when you get past 75k your suspension is on borrowed time. Certainly past 100k it's gone.

Easiest way to check it is to pull a shock from the rear and compress it to the ground. If it's real easy to compress and it doesn't come back, it's gone.
My shocks are fine, i know when a shock is shot and its not the case here, my car only has 47000 miles
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2016, 01:48 PM   #9
branmace
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

You should avoid turning your wheels at all, while standing still. Your power steering pump barely delivers any fluid to the steering column. Also, if you have 75K+ miles you should flush your power steering fluid and replace it. You may have moisture present in the fluid, too, that make it squeak and resistant while turning your steering wheel at low speeds and standing still.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2016, 08:28 PM   #10
sy2767
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by branmace View Post
You should avoid turning your wheels at all, while standing still. Your power steering pump barely delivers any fluid to the steering column. Also, if you have 75K+ miles you should flush your power steering fluid and replace it. You may have moisture present in the fluid, too, that make it squeak and resistant while turning your steering wheel at low speeds and standing still.
My car has 76xxx kms, not 75xxx miles. Thanks for the suggestion, I'm sure a fluid flush would be beneficial.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2016, 01:35 AM   #11
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by sy2767 View Post
My car started making an odd sound today, when in park I turn the steering wheel back and forth it will randomly make a loud noise like something cracking/popping. Any ideas? Its a 2011 335 Xdrive with 76xxx kms, and its just my luck that my warrenty just expired....
From following the posts at the forum and some from my experience one of these can be the culprit, not excluding something else :

- The lower steering shaft to steering column connection got a bit loosened. This has happened to me, and it was most obvious driving slowly on bumpy roads and turning the wheel. The bumps cause the lower shaft to jump up and down when it is loosened a bit from the steering column. You can test this by grabbing the lower steering shaft (easily accessible on XI by moving the power steering fluid reservoir to aside and moving to see if there is any play. Mine was loose on the steering column connection side, and had audible and visible play tested that way. There is one bolt that tightens and locks the upper steering shaft u-joint to the steering column, it was a bit loose. Used blue locktite (factory ones also come with blue locktie) and tightened good fixed it. If it comes back I will also add some epoxy around the bolt. It goes through a half round groove on the steering column shaft plan to fill there not to allow play, but it didn't come back yet.

- You can have same play at the steering lower shaft and steering rack connection. There is another u-joint there and the lower shaft is connected to it with one bolt just as upper u-joint to steering column. The u-joint there I believe is connected to the rack input also with a similar bolt. Any play there may do the same. But I also noticed there is some natural and expected play (backlash for better term? ) inside the rack, between the input pinion and the rack teeth. This should be ok.

- But the play inside the rack may have become too much due to wear. Some reported there is a nut on the rack when tightened adjusts this play and so cures it.

- The u-joints on the top and bottom of the lower steering shaft themselves may have worn out, and may have play or sticking while turning.

- Some reported the steering rack bolts that secure it to the subframe had gotten loose, simple tightening it fixed it.

- Tie rods and front strut tower mount (worn bearings or loosened top nuts) have been mentioned here already.
Appreciate 3
lab_rat394.50
e90yyc2424.00
      10-15-2019, 02:40 PM   #12
sdhzlgl
Sri Lanka
Rep
Drives: Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchi View Post
Check and tighten your steering rack bolts...next will be lower steering shaft
Thank you for your suggestion. The abnormal noise of the steering engine that bothered me for a month has finally been solved. Thank you very much.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 07:01 AM   #13
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaseP View Post
From following the posts at the forum and some from my experience one of these can be the culprit, not excluding something else :

- The lower steering shaft to steering column connection got a bit loosened. This has happened to me, and it was most obvious driving slowly on bumpy roads and turning the wheel. The bumps cause the lower shaft to jump up and down when it is loosened a bit from the steering column. You can test this by grabbing the lower steering shaft (easily accessible on XI by moving the power steering fluid reservoir to aside and moving to see if there is any play. Mine was loose on the steering column connection side, and had audible and visible play tested that way. There is one bolt that tightens and locks the upper steering shaft u-joint to the steering column, it was a bit loose. Used blue locktite (factory ones also come with blue locktie) and tightened good fixed it. If it comes back I will also add some epoxy around the bolt. It goes through a half round groove on the steering column shaft plan to fill there not to allow play, but it didn't come back yet.

- You can have same play at the steering lower shaft and steering rack connection. There is another u-joint there and the lower shaft is connected to it with one bolt just as upper u-joint to steering column. The u-joint there I believe is connected to the rack input also with a similar bolt. Any play there may do the same. But I also noticed there is some natural and expected play (backlash for better term? ) inside the rack, between the input pinion and the rack teeth. This should be ok.

- But the play inside the rack may have become too much due to wear. Some reported there is a nut on the rack when tightened adjusts this play and so cures it.

- The u-joints on the top and bottom of the lower steering shaft themselves may have worn out, and may have play or sticking while turning.

- Some reported the steering rack bolts that secure it to the subframe had gotten loose, simple tightening it fixed it.

- Tie rods and front strut tower mount (worn bearings or loosened top nuts) have been mentioned here already.
Great info! My 07' E93 335i does the same "pop" type noise when turning at slow speeds. The suspension is all new, and it's still doing it. But I never checked that u-joint on the steering shaft.....I'm guessing that might be the problem.
2007 335i, BMS DCI, BMS Chargepipe w/Tial BOV, ARM Catless Downpipes, silicone inlets, Bilstein B12 Prokit Suspension, Whiteline subframe bushings, Front/Rear M3 control arms, G-Plus FMIC, Stage 2 LPFP, Custom E40 tune by Justin (V8Bait), xHP stage 3 transmission flash, RB Two Turbos....10.90 @ 128mph
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 04:13 PM   #14
Nando_e90
Second Lieutenant
El Salvador
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i

My 06 330i has steering issue when driving over bad roads. It moves from side to side alone. Also, in traffic on decent roads, if there is a bump or a pothole at low speed, it turns to the left or to the right itself, sometimes almost 45 degrees.

I've done everything suggested here but problem is still there. I've recorded a video today on a very bad and old road so you can see what I am talking about. Recorded it at very low speed and without holding the steering. Here is the link to the videos (2):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JU7...ew?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SH5...ew?usp=sharing

This is not new. I've search a lot on the forum and have done almost everything (I think). Adjusted Rack bolt some months ago because was loose, so got a little better, but didn't solve it. Checked and re-tighten the 2 U-joint torx bolts on the steering column. Also checked the rack bolts to the subframte and were ok.
Front suspension it's all good. A year ago replaced (all with Lemforder):
- sway bar links
- sway bar bushings
- complete tie rods assembly
- both front control arms.

6 months ago, replaced
- 4 shocks with oem sachs, and new mounts, front and rear.
- Replaced the bushing of the control arms because wanted the solid rubber Meyle HD.

Tires are still in good shape, are non-rft Dunlop Direzza DZ102 with 15k miles, 225/45 R17 front and 245/40 R17 rear.

Alligment is ok. They checked it a week ago.

So, I think that the rack is maybe the problem and need replacement, but I hope you might have something to suggest. Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 04:46 PM   #15
relative4
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi E90 MT stage 1+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cala View Post
My 06 330i has steering issue when driving over bad roads. It moves from side to side alone. Also, in traffic on decent roads, if there is a bump or a pothole at low speed, it turns to the left or to the right itself, sometimes almost 45 degrees.

I've done everything suggested here but problem is still there. I've recorded a video today on a very bad and old road so you can see what I am talking about. Recorded it at very low speed and without holding the steering. Here is the link to the videos (2):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JU7...ew?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SH5...ew?usp=sharing

This is not new. I've search a lot on the forum and have done almost everything (I think). Adjusted Rack bolt some months ago because was loose, so got a little better, but didn't solve it. Checked and re-tighten the 2 U-joint torx bolts on the steering column. Also checked the rack bolts to the subframte and were ok.
Front suspension it's all good. A year ago replaced (all with Lemforder):
- sway bar links
- sway bar bushings
- complete tie rods assembly
- both front control arms.

6 months ago, replaced
- 4 shocks with oem sachs, and new mounts, front and rear.
- Replaced the bushing of the control arms because wanted the solid rubber Meyle HD.

Tires are still in good shape, are non-rft Dunlop Direzza DZ102 with 15k miles, 225/45 R17 front and 245/40 R17 rear.

Alligment is ok. They checked it a week ago.

So, I think that the rack is maybe the problem and need replacement, but I hope you might have something to suggest. Thanks in advance.
How many sets of tires have you had this problem with? What types?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 04:55 PM   #16
Nando_e90
Second Lieutenant
El Salvador
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by relative4 View Post
How many sets of tires have you had this problem with? What types?
This ones are the only ones I have had so far. Installed them when bought the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 05:10 PM   #17
relative4
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi E90 MT stage 1+

Bad tires are the most frequent cause of tramlining. Put on some Continentals or other good tires, should take care of it.
And FFR, please start a new thread rather than threadjacking.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 10:56 PM   #18
Nando_e90
Second Lieutenant
El Salvador
Rep

I know that my tires are not the best ones, but I think that this bad steering behavior goes beyond tires. But I might try with new tires, at least fronts.

About starting a new thread, no problem. Didn't know. Just thought that was better to use an existing one.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 11:48 PM   #19
pjb515
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 328i

I had the same noise (Based on original poster's description), it was just low on steering fluid. Felt like an idiot for not checking! All good now.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 02:34 AM   #20
Angelcma
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW e90

was this ever solved? i have similar issues
Appreciate 0