E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Code p0340

11-11-2019, 06:17 PM   #1
e90wtff
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i 2008 M Sport

Code p0340

Need help understanding
Need to know where the wire connection goes from camshaft position sensor a intake
Need to know how to replace ?
Need to know where to buy the part that needs to be replaced. Thank you any help!
      11-11-2019, 07:58 PM   #2
BM3Rrrr
Davy Jones, Giant Squid
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a Pirate Ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90wtff View Post
Need help understanding
Need to know where the wire connection goes from camshaft position sensor a intake
Need to know where to buy the part that needs to be replaced. Thank you any help!
Need to use google
I did and found all your answers in 5 minutes
      11-11-2019, 08:01 PM   #3
marvinstockman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

And Youtube for DIY.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 10:00 PM   #4
e90wtff
Registered
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM3Rrrr View Post
Quote:
Need help understanding
Need to use google
I did and found all your answers in 5 minutes
Still can't find anything for e90
      11-12-2019, 04:38 PM   #5
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Need help understanding
Welcome to the Forum!

Google & YouTube have their benefits: DIAGNOSTICS is NOT one of those if you are trying to determine WHAT is causing a particular Fault Code. ALSO, the BEST source for wiring and electrical component location on your vehicle is TIS Online Service Manual:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/

Understanding:
The VANOS system is supposed to monitor Cam Timing, and adjust Cam Timing to optimum "Advance" positions based upon Inputs to the DME such as Engine Temp, RPM, Load, etc. The best way to "understand" how a particular system such as VANOS and its various components (Cam Sensors, VANOS Solenoids, and VANOS Units which mechanically make the timing adjustment by oil pressure application to the Units via the Solenoids) is to study the "Functional Description" of the system in Bentley or TIS Service Manuals. Links to BOTH of those references are found in the attached "E9x References" pdf.

Wiring:
I would suggest taking an hour or two to learn how to navigate TIS, particularly the Electrical Component part of the Service Manual. Here is the "Valve Gear" Schematic for your 2008 328i:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...sensor/vOpiTYU

You can get MORE information on the Intake ("A") Camshaft Sensor, B6214a, by clicking on its BLUE Component ID#, and you can then see the "Installation Location" as linked below:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e90-328i-lim/SLoqvgY

If you click on Connector X6214 in the Schematic, you can see "Connector View":
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...i-lim/Cjp8ftvv

Knowing WHAT & HOW to Replace:
Generally, P0340 indicates SOME type of issue with the signal from the Intake Camshaft Position Sensor, as received by the DME (Engine Control Module). Definitions of that code are found in Bentley and also in BMW Fault Code Lookup. Here are the respective Definitions:
P0340 | 2AAO | Camshaft Position Sensor 'A' Circuit (Bank 1 or Single Sensor)
N52 | P0340 | 2AA0 | DME: Camshaft sensor, inlet, signal | MSV80

If you have INPA or ISTA, or a Scan Tool Capable of reading Parameters or INPUTS to the DME as Live Data, you could observe the Intake Camshaft Signal in real time as the engine runs. Since you haven't indicated WHAT Scan Tool you are using, and since you give the P-code (P0340) rather than the "Hex-code" (2AA0), I presume you do NOT have that capability.

So we need to know WHAT symptoms the vehicle is exhibiting:
1) Will it start, or just Starter Cranking and NO fire or engine startup? If Crankshaft Position Sensor signals are lacking or implausible, the DME CANNOT time spark and injector pulse, 'cuz it doesn't know, simply based upon the Crankshaft Sensor Signal, if a particular cylinder is on Compression Stroke or Exhaust Stroke (Camshaft turns ONLY one Revolution per TWO Crankshaft Revolutions). I'm NOT sure which Camshaft signal is used by the DME for ignition timing, or if it is programmed to start on JUST ONE cam signal. ANYONE tested this?
2) IF the engine will start, what symptoms does it have? Rough idle, rough running at ALL engine speeds, intermittent roughness, etc.?

I personally don't believe in just throwing parts at an issue, and I have taken the time to download, install & learn how to use INPA. However, if you don't have that Diagnostic capability at the moment, in this case, replacing the Intake Camshaft Sensor MAY be quicker and cheaper than obtaining and learning how to use INPA or ISTA, or taking it to a shop who may HAVE that Software (but perhaps NOT the skill to use it correctly) and who will charge you a "Diagnostic Fee" in excess of the part cost.

I am NOT aware of any simple test with a DMM (multiimeter) that might disclose a fault in the Sensor itself, but you might try comparing Resistance/ Ohms across pins 2 & 3 of the two sensors, and let us know if you find a BIG difference. You of course CAN check the wiring from Pins #2 & #3 to the DME Connector X60007, for continuity or short to ground (Ignition OFF). Also test Voltage or lack of 12V+ at the Orange Wire, Pin #1, of Connector X6214a with Ignition ON.

Since you are in Phoenix, Autohaus AZ is your neighbor and has any parts you need, and Camshaft Sensors are reasonable per this list:
https://www.autohausaz.com/catalog/k...ition%20sensor

Please let us know what you find,
George
Attached Images
File Type: pdf E9x References.pdf (218.0 KB, 49 views)
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 07:03 AM   #6
e90wtff
Registered
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Quote:
Need help understanding
Welcome to the Forum!

Google & YouTube have their benefits: DIAGNOSTICS is NOT one of those if you are trying to determine WHAT is causing a particular Fault Code. ALSO, the BEST source for wiring and electrical component location on your vehicle is TIS Online Service Manual:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/

Understanding:
The VANOS system is supposed to monitor Cam Timing, and adjust Cam Timing to optimum "Advance" positions based upon Inputs to the DME such as Engine Temp, RPM, Load, etc. The best way to "understand" how a particular system such as VANOS and its various components (Cam Sensors, VANOS Solenoids, and VANOS Units which mechanically make the timing adjustment by oil pressure application to the Units via the Solenoids) is to study the "Functional Description" of the system in Bentley or TIS Service Manuals. Links to BOTH of those references are found in the attached "E9x References" pdf.

Wiring:
I would suggest taking an hour or two to learn how to navigate TIS, particularly the Electrical Component part of the Service Manual. Here is the "Valve Gear" Schematic for your 2008 328i:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...sensor/vOpiTYU

You can get MORE information on the Intake ("A") Camshaft Sensor, [COLOR="blue"]B6214a[/COLOR], by clicking on its [COLOR="Blue"]BLUE [/COLOR]Component ID#, and you can then see the "Installation Location" as linked below:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e90-328i-lim/SLoqvgY

If you click on Connector [COLOR="blue"]X6214[/COLOR] in the Schematic, you can see "Connector View":
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...i-lim/Cjp8ftvv

Knowing WHAT & HOW to Replace:
Generally, P0340 indicates SOME type of issue with the signal from the Intake Camshaft Position Sensor, as received by the DME (Engine Control Module). Definitions of that code are found in Bentley and also in BMW Fault Code Lookup. Here are the respective Definitions:
P0340 | 2AAO | Camshaft Position Sensor 'A' Circuit (Bank 1 or Single Sensor)
N52 | P0340 | 2AA0 | DME: Camshaft sensor, inlet, signal | MSV80

If you have INPA or ISTA, or a Scan Tool Capable of reading Parameters or INPUTS to the DME as Live Data, you could observe the Intake Camshaft Signal in real time as the engine runs. Since you haven't indicated WHAT Scan Tool you are using, and since you give the P-code (P0340) rather than the "Hex-code" (2AA0), I presume you do NOT have that capability.

So we need to know WHAT symptoms the vehicle is exhibiting:
1) Will it start, or just Starter Cranking and NO fire or engine startup? If Crankshaft Position Sensor signals are lacking or implausible, the DME CANNOT time spark and injector pulse, 'cuz it doesn't know, simply based upon the Crankshaft Sensor Signal, if a particular cylinder is on Compression Stroke or Exhaust Stroke (Camshaft turns ONLY one Revolution per TWO Crankshaft Revolutions). I'm NOT sure which Camshaft signal is used by the DME for ignition timing, or if it is programmed to start on JUST ONE cam signal. [COLOR="Red"]ANYONE[/COLOR] tested this?
2) IF the engine will start, what symptoms does it have? Rough idle, rough running at ALL engine speeds, intermittent roughness, etc.?

I personally don't believe in just throwing parts at an issue, and I have taken the time to download, install & learn how to use INPA. However, if you don't have that Diagnostic capability at the moment, in this case, replacing the Intake Camshaft Sensor MAY be quicker and cheaper than obtaining and learning how to use INPA or ISTA, or taking it to a shop who may HAVE that Software (but perhaps NOT the skill to use it correctly) and who will charge you a "Diagnostic Fee" in excess of the part cost.

I am NOT aware of any simple test with a DMM (multiimeter) that might disclose a fault in the Sensor itself, but you might try comparing Resistance/ Ohms across pins 2 & 3 of the two sensors, and let us know if you find a BIG difference. You of course CAN check the wiring from Pins #2 & #3 to the DME Connector X60007, for continuity or short to ground (Ignition OFF). Also test Voltage or lack of 12V+ at the Orange Wire, Pin #1, of Connector X6214a with Ignition ON.

Since you are in Phoenix, Autohaus AZ is your neighbor and has any parts you need, and Camshaft Sensors are reasonable per this list:
https://www.autohausaz.com/catalog/k...ition%20sensor

Please let us know what you find,
George
Thank you so much !