E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > RB TURBOs: SMOKER vs NON-SMOKER

10-10-2018, 08:06 PM   #89
schmick325
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 1M

Update on it:

Both Turbo's were disassembled and found to have no internal damage at all. So the front turbo with the bent blade would likely have been from installation. (thank you Advan) however the rear turbo was a 100% smoker. All the oil seals are in good condition and there is no need to replace them.

Dan from Simply Tuning has been aware of this for some time with Hybrids and has applied a fix for it on my car. I am happy to say there absolutely no trace of any smoke or oil consumption any longer. The horrible turbo howl is long gone too with the blade repair.

Hit him up if you have smokey turbo's
Appreciate 1
DR-JEKL897.50
      10-11-2018, 12:08 PM   #90
Rob@RBTurbo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335I AT, '14 M6 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmick325 View Post
Update on it:

Both Turbo's were disassembled and found to have no internal damage at all. So the front turbo with the bent blade would likely have been from installation. (thank you Advan) however the rear turbo was a 100% smoker. All the oil seals are in good condition and there is no need to replace them.

Dan from Simply Tuning has been aware of this for some time with Hybrids and has applied a fix for it on my car. I am happy to say there absolutely no trace of any smoke or oil consumption any longer. The horrible turbo howl is long gone too with the blade repair.

Hit him up if you have smokey turbo's
Glad you were able to get another professional confirmation to back our analysis, was really thinking they'd say something different as that seems to be the trend with this profession with competitors.

As for the "smokey turbo", you'd be surprised what happens with the dynamics of turbo systems when one turbo is finely working and the other one isn't. Or in short the turbo wouldn't have been a "smokey turbo" if it wasn't installed and operated with another turbo that was heavily damaged in unison.

As for Advan it is pretty shameful to pass it along, not contact us, nothing; through this entire process. Only to hand it off as if all is well and let us take the heat for it. No biggie guys, thanks.

Rob
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 03:22 PM   #91
schmick325
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 1M

Advan have been dismissive of my complaints and told me the car was 'perfect'.

The turbo blade damage was just one of the issues with their work.

I wouldn't be steering any customers to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@RBTurbo View Post
Glad you were able to get another professional confirmation to back our analysis, was really thinking they'd say something different as that seems to be the trend with this profession with competitors.

As for the "smokey turbo", you'd be surprised what happens with the dynamics of turbo systems when one turbo is finely working and the other one isn't. Or in short the turbo wouldn't have been a "smokey turbo" if it wasn't installed and operated with another turbo that was heavily damaged in unison.

As for Advan it is pretty shameful to pass it along, not contact us, nothing; through this entire process. Only to hand it off as if all is well and let us take the heat for it. No biggie guys, thanks.

Rob
Appreciate 1