E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Detailing 101: Common Question and Answers, What and Where to buy stuff + Technique

11-27-2006, 08:29 PM   #89
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICALL
Thank you for taking the time to put a detailed "How To" post together for us.

My last car was washed once in over 18 months(other than the frequent Florida rainstorms) and that was the day before the lease inspector came to check my car for damage.

I just brought my brand new 335i home and put over 100 miles on it within 24 hours. By the 2nd day the rims were covered in brake dust and the car was filthy. Couldn't resist washing it. I went with a MF sponge that looks like one of those shaggy dogs and meguire's gold car wash(available at Target). It suds nice, but I'll be following your advice going forward. Should I just throw away this stuff or finish it?(Money really not an issue). Is that sponge good or should I just purchase one from one of the sites you mentioned?

Down here in south Florida, we have a severe bug problem. I see you are pretty meticulous when it comes to washing your car(two buckets and spraying off the sponge after each swipe). What would you recommend as the best way to remove these suicide bombers? How bad are those mesh sponges at Target for my brand new paint job?

Thanks again for taking the time to answer these questions.
Hold onto the gold class car wash. I use it and think it is great stuff. As for the wash sponge you are using, put it aside. I'm not a fan of sponges or MF for washing (strands on MF are too short). Get yourself a quality sheepskin wash mitt. Those typically have longer strands and will allow you to wash the car more safely (less chance of introducing swirl marks).

As for the bug problem, you will need to use a quality sealant. I recommend Zaino. This will allow the bug guts to wash off easier.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2006, 08:31 PM   #90
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrringodi
I have alot of spots on my car that do not come off with normal washing I beleive its from the trees it gets all over my windows and paint how do I remove this.
You will need a dedicated tar and bug remover. 3M makes one that is quite strong. It will strip your wax, so reapply after using it. Turtle wax also makes one that is gentler and fairly effective in my experince with it.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2006, 08:41 PM   #91
mrringodi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

Would claying the car help with the tree sap I tried the turtle wax one but it did not help also tried rubbing alcohol but needed to rub hard to get some of it off. I have klasse aio and sg with clay magic lube.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2006, 08:28 AM   #92
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Would claying the car help with the tree sap I tried the turtle wax one but it did not help also tried rubbing alcohol but needed to rub hard to get some of it off. I have klasse aio and sg with clay magic lube.
Depending on how large the spots of sap are, then clay should take care of them as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2006, 11:20 AM   #93
mrringodi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

The spots are very small and there is a lot all over the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2006, 02:05 PM   #94
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The spots are very small and there is a lot all over the car.
Try claying then. That should do the trick!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2006, 02:17 PM   #95
mrringodi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

thanks is it safe to clay often since it seems like there is no way to avoid the tree sap where I live.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2006, 06:34 PM   #96
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
thanks is it safe to clay often since it seems like there is no way to avoid the tree sap where I live.
Clay will not remove any paint, so from that perspective you are free to clay as often as you wish. However, claying will most likely put some fine micromarring in your paint, which if done often enough will accumulate thus leaving your finish looking not so good. Long story short, if you clay every week, be prepared for your paint to look nasty enough that you will need to polish it out to get it looking good agan.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2006, 10:56 PM   #97
mrringodi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

so what do you recommend doing to protect from tree sap if I use klasse aio and sg
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2006, 09:00 AM   #98
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
so what do you recommend doing to protect from tree sap if I use klasse aio and sg
Sap is one of those things that is hard to protect against regardless of the wax or sealant you use. It's hard and sticks on like glue. Honestly, don't park close to trees. Avoiding it is the easiest solution.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2006, 05:12 PM   #99
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500.

really stupid question here. i bought the klasse kit and it came with the all in one, sg, one microfiber towel,2 terry applicators, and 2 poly foam applicators. can i use the same microfiber towel to remove the all in one and the sg or do i need 2 clean microfiber towels? i am going to use your method to remove the sg and will not listen to the directions when they say to wait 20 minutes. thank you for this sticky.

"...I maybe drunk, but you're ugly, and I can sober up..."
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2006, 06:31 PM   #100
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunotheboxer
really stupid question here. i bought the klasse kit and it came with the all in one, sg, one microfiber towel,2 terry applicators, and 2 poly foam applicators. can i use the same microfiber towel to remove the all in one and the sg or do i need 2 clean microfiber towels? i am going to use your method to remove the sg and will not listen to the directions when they say to wait 20 minutes. thank you for this sticky.
Hey Bruno. Glad you like the sticky!

You can go ahead and use the same towle to remove the AIO and SG. You won't have any problems.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2006, 05:54 PM   #101
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500.

thanx mate.

"...I maybe drunk, but you're ugly, and I can sober up..."
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2006, 12:20 PM   #102
bimmer
BMW FOREVER
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335is

DavidN, I am totally new to detailing. I already made some swirls on the paint by washing with sponge . I am quite upset by this fact. Please let me know where in Toronto I can buy Klasse products (I did not see them in Canadian Tire). So far I bought some products form CT but beside simoniz sheepskin premium mitt nothing is worth to mention (turtle wax, Meguiar's quick wax). I read your article form page 1 but I was overwhelmed but all this info. Please, let me know in simple steps what to do and what products to use (use only products available locally). I want safely wash, protect and make the car very shinny as well as get rid of some small swirls that I made by using stupid sponge . Man, I did not know that washing the car could be that complex!

Thank You

Thinking of F80
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2006, 02:08 PM   #103
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer
DavidN, I am totally new to detailing. I already made some swirls on the paint by washing with sponge . I am quite upset by this fact. Please let me know where in Toronto I can buy Klasse products (I did not see them in Canadian Tire). So far I bought some products form CT but beside simoniz sheepskin premium mitt nothing is worth to mention (turtle wax, Meguiar's quick wax). I read your article form page 1 but I was overwhelmed but all this info. Please, let me know in simple steps what to do and what products to use (use only products available locally). I want safely wash, protect and make the car very shinny as well as get rid of some small swirls that I made by using stupid sponge . Man, I did not know that washing the car could be that complex!

Thank You
Hey man;

You're right. There is a lot of info and it can be very overwhelming.

For the swirls you made, you will need a machine to remove them. If you do not want to get a machine, then you can just live with them. But try to minimize any further damage by taking more care when you wash and dry the car.

As for how to fully detail your car with local products:

1. Wash with two sheepskin mitts. One for all parts of the car above the middle of the doors and one for below the middle of the doors. Start washing at the roof of the car and work your way down. Always wash wheels and tires first with their own dedicated wash mitt and bucket/soap. The meguiars gold class car wash at canadian tire is good.

2. Clay your car (optional). The mothers clay kit at Canadian Tire is good.

3. Polish your car. You can use the mequiars step 1 and 2 (in that order) of the three step system to do this. Both products are available at canadian tire. Both products will have some filler to hide the swirls you made.

4. Wax. Go with a pure carnuba paste wax, like mothers california gold which is available at Canadian Tire as well.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2006, 04:08 PM   #104
bimmer
BMW FOREVER
Canada
Rep

Thanx a lot

What should I use to apply clay (did you mean Mothers clay bar system?), mequiars step 1 - cleaner, step 2 - polish and for applying carnuba paste wax?
Some microfiber cloths?

Where in Toronto I can get Klasse products? I heard they are good.

I have seen some products that will remove swirls like Meguiars #9 Swirl Remover 2.0. Are they any good.

What do you think about www.eshine.ca? I have seen some Klasse products.

THX again

Thinking of F80

Last edited by bimmer; 12-19-2006 at 05:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2006, 10:11 AM   #105
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

Follow my claying article for how to clay. Yup, I am talking about the mothers clay bar system. When working by hand apply polishes and waxes with a foam applicator. I like the ones at canadian tire that are blue. You can't get klasse in Toronto at any brick and mortar stores. You will have to order online. I've ordered from echine once and had a good experience. Others like them as well. If you want klasse, they are good local online source. If you decide to use klasse, then just go wash, clay, AIO, SG. You can skip the meguiars steps 1 and 2 products and the mothers wax. AIO and SG will take their place.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2006, 05:55 PM   #106
bimmer
BMW FOREVER
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidN
Follow my claying article for how to clay. Yup, I am talking about the mothers clay bar system. When working by hand apply polishes and waxes with a foam applicator. I like the ones at canadian tire that are blue. You can't get klasse in Toronto at any brick and mortar stores. You will have to order online. I've ordered from echine once and had a good experience. Others like them as well. If you want klasse, they are good local online source. If you decide to use klasse, then just go wash, clay, AIO, SG. You can skip the meguiars steps 1 and 2 products and the mothers wax. AIO and SG will take their place.
Man, you are THE BEST - THANKS!

One more thing: which swirls remover would you recommend? I will be trying to do it by hand. Any tips should I follow?

Thinking of F80
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2006, 03:21 PM   #107
bimmer
BMW FOREVER
Canada
Rep

DavidN, are MicroTex's Chenille mitt (blue /green), MicroTex's cleaning towels and MicroTex's professional detailing cloths from Canadian Tire any good? They seems very soft. BTW, they are microfiber. Also is mequiars step 1 and 2 plus carnuba wax as good as Klasse AIO and SG? Will Klasse products give me better results?

Sorry to bother you again.

THX

Thinking of F80

Last edited by bimmer; 12-21-2006 at 04:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2006, 09:25 AM   #108
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer
Man, you are THE BEST - THANKS!

One more thing: which swirls remover would you recommend? I will be trying to do it by hand. Any tips should I follow?

If you are not going to buy a machine, then don't bother buying a swirl remover. Swirls can only be removed with a machine. If you are planning to buy a machine (specifically a PC), then you can pickup a bottle of Poorboys SSR 2.5 from eshine.

I've never used the micro tex towels, but I have used the washmitt and was not impressed. MF washmitts do not have a deep enough pile. They WILL drag dirt accross your paint and scratch the finish. Stick to using the sheepskin mitt from CT. They are much better.

Klasse AIO and SG are much better than the meguiars step 1 and 2 and the mothers wax. Klasse is sunthetic and will hold up much better than a pure carnuba wax. I would go with klasse if I had to choose between the two.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2006, 12:18 PM   #109
bimmer
BMW FOREVER
Canada
Rep

Thanks again, that's all what I need to know. Big thanks

Thinking of F80
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2006, 05:27 PM   #110