E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Stupid mistake...or not?!

02-13-2012, 08:59 AM   #23
kaishang
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
What's wrong with fuel from supermarkets?
It tends to make you buy 5 litre tubs of ice-cream while you are there, and that makes you fat.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 10:07 AM   #24
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy coupe View Post
...Many of them contained branded petrol....
What did the other tankers contain then?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 10:57 AM   #25
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaishang View Post
It tends to make you buy 5 litre tubs of ice-cream while you are there, and that makes you fat.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 11:00 AM   #26
nicktyler
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i (sadly gone)

Garage List
I thought Tesco Momentum was supposed to be good?

I only had my car a few weeks but put 3 tanks of V-power and then started using Momentum as the Shell garage is a good 15 miles away and that makes it pretty time consuming and expensive.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 11:04 AM   #27
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Makes me laugh, all this Supermarket fuel is rubbish. My Sister used to work for a major supermarket as a garage manager. She used to have to sign in two tankers a day, sometimes three.
Many of them contained branded petrol as Tesco fuel buyer would often get a phone call from one of the major brands, who had over supply and wanted to shift it. Due to company policy Tesco more often than not wanted it delivered in Tesco marked tankers. But if they were really up against it. They would allow the branded takers on site.

Why do our cars run better on shell or BP Fuel?
And why are they sluggish and jerky on supermarket fuels?

I dont know from where tesco / asda/ sainsburry get their fuel, but I can tell from my experience that my fuel pump died as I used to fill it from local Asda as it was close to my place. The Indi took out the tank and showd me the amount of sand and impurities sitting in the car. He had to take out all the fuel and clean the tank.

Never went there again. Sometime if I am running too low on fuel, and there is no nearby shell or BP station, I fill up with super market fuel, but after that my car become sluggish. Moreover I get less mpg brim to brim (Fuelly.com) from supermarket fuel.

Both ways, it works poorly. Why should I risk my car if the difference is only couple of pence / pounds per tank?

Thats what I think and you may not have to agree with me completely, but I learnt it hardway.

Last edited by makkan00; 02-13-2012 at 12:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 11:13 AM   #28
nicktyler
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
To be fair I have been having a bad missfire problem. Had all the sparks and plugs changed and it is not gone completly. Maybe it is the Momentum. I just can't beleive it can make that much difference.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 11:54 AM   #29
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicktyler View Post
To be fair I have been having a bad missfire problem. Had all the sparks and plugs changed and it is not gone completly. Maybe it is the Momentum. I just can't beleive it can make that much difference.
I read your other post? What sort of code did it register on your car?
Also did the indi asked you to change the plugs, as there was a code for it or just rough guess?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 12:02 PM   #30
G82Dude
-
Rep
Drives: M4CMxD

Well, it is an internal combustion engine, so no more issues with ignition on than with it off...?

And what's with all the c*ap about turning off mobile phones?!?!

Last edited by G82Dude; 02-13-2012 at 02:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 02:12 PM   #31
nicktyler
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
I read your other post? What sort of code did it register on your car?
Also did the indi asked you to change the plugs, as there was a code for it or just rough guess?
I'm not sure the exact code but I can ask. They just said it was coils or plugs related code and I asked them to change them all. Also from what I have read here it was the right symptoms and route to go. To be fair it fixed it but I'm not sure if fully fixed. Maybe it was just a random missfire for a mile and won't happen again. Or maybe not.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 02:33 PM   #32
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I'm not sure the exact code but I can ask. They just said it was coils or plugs related code and I asked them to change them all. Also from what I have read here it was the right symptoms and route to go. To be fair it fixed it but I'm not sure if fully fixed. Maybe it was just a random missfire for a mile and won't happen again. Or maybe not.
Try BG44K and see it that helps to start with.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 03:43 PM   #33
nicktyler
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
I used that in my RX8 but I thought you weren't supposed to use additives in the 335i? I started a thread the other day about it and got told not to. Also it says not to on the fuel flap.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 03:45 PM   #34
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Makes me laugh, all this Supermarket fuel is rubbish. My Sister used to work for a major supermarket as a garage manager. She used to have to sign in two tankers a day, sometimes three.
Many of them contained branded petrol as Tesco fuel buyer would often get a phone call from one of the major brands, who had over supply and wanted to shift it. Due to company policy Tesco more often than not wanted it delivered in Tesco marked tankers. But if they were really up against it. They would allow the branded takers on site.
They all come from the same sort of base fuel anyway, just different additives mixed at the depot.

But what's written on the side of the tanker has nothing to do with what's inside the tanker. They have 5 or 6 separate chambers with diesel, petrol, different grades etc stored separately.

More likely a 'tesco' tanker will contain tesco fuels, but a 'shell' marked tanker will be filled with tesco fuel at the depot if that is on the round for that tanker.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 04:16 PM   #35
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I used that in my RX8 but I thought you weren't supposed to use additives in the 335i? I started a thread the other day about it and got told not to. Also it says not to on the fuel flap.
Nick I would be very interested to know the reason. Can you please post the link?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 05:50 PM   #36
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

Probably the generic arse covering by BMW.
To be fair you do not know, as a manufacturer, what some ejit will pour into a tank five or ten years after you design an engine.

Better just advise against it, wholesale, and as stated it's even in the manual and on the filler flaps.

The issue is generally going to be seals and gaskets.
Seals in the HPFP and parts inside the injector may be susceptible to 'foreign' chemicals outside the design scope for example.
      02-14-2012, 03:37 AM   #37
nicktyler
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
Nick I would be very interested to know the reason. Can you please post the link?
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=644847

Heres the link.

Is there anywhere that stocks BG44K? Is it something you can get in Halfords? Also how do you use it?

Last time a friend in the RX8 club did it for me and as far as I can remember put some in through the intake and some in the tank. the result was massive amounts of smoke (briefly) and improved compression so it def worked in that instance.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 06:20 AM   #38
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=644847

Heres the link.

Is there anywhere that stocks BG44K? Is it something you can get in Halfords? Also how do you use it?

Last time a friend in the RX8 club did it for me and as far as I can remember put some in through the intake and some in the tank. the result was massive amounts of smoke (briefly) and improved compression so it def worked in that instance.
Thanks Nick for the link.
Here is the intro link
http://www.powerenhancer.co.uk/news/...for-petrol/30/
You can buy it online too.
Last time, I bought it from Kwik fit, who chraged me 25 pounds for it. I must admit that it improved the smoothness of the car.

I am going to use it in my e90 soon.
Appreciate 0