E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Ebay turbos vs Pure

07-13-2020, 07:20 PM   #1
gavin_0108
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335xi 6MT

Ebay turbos vs Pure

Hey all,

I've been seriously considering bigger twins for my 2009 335i. I've got basically 3 choices in mind and wanted your take. My goal is ~600whp, probably more in the future, will be using it as a daily driver. Also I'm xdrive.

Pure stage 2 hi-flow: Solid turbos, good for 600whp but can make quite a bit more so you can run them at lower boost, reliable, relatively early spool (stock-like. However the Canadian dollar is sh*t right now. It would cost me just shy of $6000 for a set which is absolutely absurd considering I paid $10k for the car. That doesnt include install, inlets, or the lpfp that I also want to do.

Pure 600's: Similar the the pure stage 2's, would still be roughly $4000cad however 600whp is starting to push them, and if I ever wanted a little more juice, it would require quite a bit of work. Also low-end torque and xdrive is kind of a no bueno for me haha.

Ebay viv-autoparts 19t's. These things are $1100cad shipped to my front door, with lots of spare cash to get them rebalanced, and to also adjust the wastegate. People have been making more then 600whp with the 17t's, so I imagine the 19t's are going to be able to get high 600's low 700's pushing them, probably more. The only thing is they're relatively new, and I cant seem to find anything regarding the reliability of the ebay turbo's.

What's your input?
Thanks

thanks
-Gavin
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 07:34 PM   #2
Tyc0
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 335i

I recently made a very similar thread with a goal of 500whp and almost every single person pointed me over to Rob at Rbturbo. My reply was that his stuff is very expensive just like pure and I was trying to be as budget as possible. Anyway I emailed him and this was his reply

$1,999 RB Twos (~TD04L-11 Blade Turbine with 15T Billet Compressor)
$300 Core Charge (fully refundable) for all BMW N54 vehicle models
$275 RB High Flow Silicone OEM Style Inlets
$175 RB Basic Install Gasket Kit
$35 RB PCV Valve
$35 RB PCV Screw-On Cap
$35 OEM Vent Hose
$50 Shipping via Fedex Ground to USA

Comes out to 2300 after core charge if I pay via bank wire or check. Keep in mind this is EVERYTHING you need. So I'd shoot him an email if I were you, he's very helpful and will work with you on pricing and get you exactly what you want.

One last thing, I called all the turbo shops around me asking about balancing the China ones, they all said they don't balance China turbos due to warranty purposes.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 07:35 PM   #3
srey
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i 6mt

This won't be popular with some, but I'd vote ebay turbos. These cars are so cheap now that it isn't worth it in my mind to spend more than half the value of the car for Pures or RBs. I'm still undecided whether I'm going to get upgraded turbos, but if I do it will be the ebay ones. I also do all my own wrenching and have another vehicle I can drive if my 335i is on jackstands for a while. If it was my only ride I wouldn't upgrade the turbos.

*Edit* I guess Rob can do it significantly cheaper than Pure. I just cited him because his product is solid and reliable on this platform.

Last edited by srey; 07-13-2020 at 07:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 07:44 PM   #4
Tyc0
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by srey View Post
This won't be popular with some, but I'd vote ebay turbos. These cars are so cheap now that it isn't worth it in my mind to spend more than half the value of the car for Pures or RBs. I'm still undecided whether I'm going to get upgraded turbos, but if I do it will be the ebay ones. I also do all my own wrenching and have another vehicle I can drive if my 335i is on jackstands for a while. If it was my only ride I wouldn't upgrade the turbos.

*Edit* I guess Rob can do it significantly cheaper than Pure. I just cited him because his product is solid and reliable on this platform.
I had the same thought process as you, why put 3-4 into a car that I paid less than ten for. But then I emailed Rob
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 08:43 PM   #5
BM3Rrrr
Davy Jones, Giant Squid
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a Pirate Ship

07-13-2020, 08:49 PM   #6
N54_e90
Don
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 335xi Family Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyc0 View Post
I recently made a very similar thread with a goal of 500whp and almost every single person pointed me over to Rob at Rbturbo. My reply was that his stuff is very expensive just like pure and I was trying to be as budget as possible. Anyway I emailed him and this was his reply

$35 RB PCV Valve
$35 RB PCV Screw-On Cap
$35 OEM Vent Hose

Comes out to 2300 after core charge if I pay via bank wire or check. Keep in mind this is EVERYTHING you need. So I'd shoot him an email if I were you, he's very helpful and will work with you on pricing and get you exactly what you want.

One last thing, I called all the turbo shops around me asking about balancing the China ones, they all said they don't balance China turbos due to warranty purposes.
These are still USA prices. For OP he is Canadian and would still cost a shit ton. OP, I'm in Toronto and probably going to go with the vivs turbos in the near future. Check out Zero to 60 on youtube they put out some power.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 09:08 PM   #7
CALWATERBOY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin_0108 View Post
I've been seriously considering bigger twins for my 2009 335i. I've got basically 3 choices in mind and wanted your take. My goal is ~600whp, probably more in the future, will be using it as a daily driver. Also I'm xdrive.

More to the point, what torque are you targeting?

Big turbos are only the beginning of parts you'll need....
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 09:30 PM   #8
blaster3500
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335i

Anything over 600whp on a stock housing turbo is starting the play with fire and will have lots of back pressure. If you are doing the labor and have a lot of time I can see rolling the dice on the eBay turbos. That being said replacing the turbos on these cars is not fun especially without a lift.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 10:48 PM   #9
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

You guys who look at the cost of expensive mods in relation to today's value of the car are doing it wrong. It's not like these cars and mods are an investment that'll ever bring some kind of profit in the end. What if you paid twice, or more, for the car? How and why would that influence you to buy better quality parts for it? It's still the same car and you want the same results from your mods. Consider what's worth more, a relatively inexpensive car with reliable parts that gets to be enjoyed regularly, or an inexpensive car with cheap parts that keep breaking rendering the car useless until more time and money is spent on it? I'm not saying those eBay turbos are junk and will break(although I have my suspicions), but why take the chance? What happens if you run into issues 6 months down the road when that eBay seller has closed up shop? What if they're still around but void your warranty because you had a 3rd party balance them? How much does it cost to balance a pair of turbos? It just doesn't make sense to me. I get that some of these parts are expensive and a cheaper solution can be enticing, but it's rarely truly worth it in the end.
Appreciate 3
Tyc0147.00
Smgs1992721.00
      07-13-2020, 11:10 PM   #10
srey
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilime75 View Post
You guys who look at the cost of expensive mods in relation to today's value of the car are doing it wrong. It's not like these cars and mods are an investment that'll ever bring some kind of profit in the end. What if you paid twice, or more, for the car? How and why would that influence you to buy better quality parts for it? It's still the same car and you want the same results from your mods. Consider what's worth more, a relatively inexpensive car with reliable parts that gets to be enjoyed regularly, or an inexpensive car with cheap parts that keep breaking rendering the car useless until more time and money is spent on it? I'm not saying those eBay turbos are junk and will break(although I have my suspicions), but why take the chance? What happens if you run into issues 6 months down the road when that eBay seller has closed up shop? What if they're still around but void your warranty because you had a 3rd party balance them? How much does it cost to balance a pair of turbos? It just doesn't make sense to me. I get that some of these parts are expensive and a cheaper solution can be enticing, but it's rarely truly worth it in the end.
I understand your sentiment, but don't agree with the black/white rhetoric regarding parts. I've rolled the dice on some inexpensive ebay stuff on this platform and have had successes and failures with them. And even the "reliable" and genuine parts fail. It's not hard to find stories of all the name brand turbo vendors denying warranties citing improper install or failure to replace some peripheral component allegedly leading to the failure. Ultimately, when you start modding your car to the level of upgraded turbos and custom tunes all expectations of reliability are out the window.

Of course it's not an investment. If paying 3x more is worth your peace of mind that's cool. I would never judge someone for erring on the side of caution with their mods. I don't like the attitude (not saying this is what you're doing) on some of the bmw forums that if you're treating your car with anything but oem and top tier components you are beneath them. Consider this. If i do the work myself, I can go through three sets of eBay turbos for the price of one set of pures before install costs. The pures probably perform better, but the ebay turbskies are proven power makers and have an acceptable track record of reliability per the whatsapp group I'm on where several guys have been running them for over 10k miles now. I know that's anecdotal, but it's enough that I'm willing to roll the dice in hopes of saving a couple thousand bucks. If i were paying someone to do that i might reconsider, but maybe not. Then again, if i were not the type that loves to wrench I wouldn't own an n54.

I think there's room enough in the n54 world for cheap parts. If I were all about that purist enthusiast stuff and dropping mad coin I would be driving a Cayman S or 996 911.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 11:36 PM   #11
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep

My comments most certainly didn't come from a "higher than thou" mindset, I'm not some uppity prick who thinks only the best of the best is necessary. My point was that it shouldn't matter what the car is worth as a basis on how much to spend on parts, except maybe if you're looking to off load it soon.

Yes, there will always be outliers even with the brands that are generally known to be reliable...but, in most cases those brands have a history and will typically back their product if an issues arises. Your examples of sometimes warranties being denied reminds me of all of the discussions about DAW, a brand I would consider on par with any other fly by night eBay vendor...but I'm sure if you dig enough you'd find some disgruntled customers of Pure and RB...

Anyway, the OP asked for opinions, so I gave mine. My 335i is one of 3 cars that I own, so it isn't a big deal if it's down for a while. At the same time, I bought it to drive it and enjoy it, not to have it sit broken because I chose to cheap out on critical parts.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 06:04 AM   #12
Rule1977
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 BMW 335I E90

Quote:

$35 RB PCV Valve
$35 RB PCV Screw-On Cap
$35 OEM Vent Hose

RB is the way to go.. he makes the best turbos for this platform IMO. For anyone trying to compare all the EBay turbos to RB Turbos or Pure.. there isn't any comparison to be made. Both of these companies are leaps and bounds better than anything on EBay and you will get what you pay for.
NRW CARBON COWL FILTERS - TIAL BOV
VRSF 7.5 RACE FMIC - VRSF INLETS - VRSF OUTLETS - VRSF DOWNPIPES
BMS PEDAL TUNER - VTT DUAL CATCH CANS
3.5 BAR TMAP - NGK 97506 PLUGS
H@R SPRINGS - NRW V1 PADDLES
PFS STAGE 3 LPFP - PFS V2 PORT INJECTION
MOSSELMAN OIL THERMOSTAT
MISHIMOTO 25 ROW OIL COOLER
SPOOL PERFORMANCE ETHANOL ANALYZER
MISHIMOTO 15 ROW TRANSMISSION COOLER
ZIMMERMAN DRILLED ROTORS - EBC REDSTUFF PADS
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 07:45 AM   #13
gavin_0108
Canada
Rep

Quote:

$35 RB PCV Valve
$35 RB PCV Screw-On Cap
$35 OEM Vent Hose

Thanks man, I'll definitely take a look at RB turbos and maybe some other options. The only thing is that the RB twos arent much bigger than oem, so if I ever wanted more power I'd have to do the turbos again. I'd rather run bigger turbos at lower boost if that makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 07:47 AM   #14
gavin_0108
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazythedon View Post
These are still USA prices. For OP he is Canadian and would still cost a shit ton. OP, I'm in Toronto and probably going to go with the vivs turbos in the near future. Check out Zero to 60 on youtube they put out some power.
I've been following them on youtube actually. Have you found any long term reviews of the ebay turbos? The guys on facebook swear by them, but the most I've seen is 20k miles so far.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 07:47 AM   #15
Rule1977
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

$35 RB PCV Valve
$35 RB PCV Screw-On Cap
$35 OEM Vent Hose

Thanks man, I'll definitely take a look at RB turbos and maybe some other options. The only thing is that the RB twos arent much bigger than oem, so if I ever wanted more power I'd have to do the turbos again. I'd rather run bigger turbos at lower boost if that makes sense.
RB Twos are quite a bit bigger than oem. Oem are 10t and the two's are 15t. You could look at the Twos Plus which are 17t.
MOSSELMAN OIL THERMOSTAT
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 07:53 AM   #16
gavin_0108
Canada
Rep

Quote:
My comments most certainly didn't come from a "higher than thou" mindset, I'm not some uppity prick who thinks only the best of the best is necessary. My point was that it shouldn't matter what the car is worth as a basis on how much to spend on parts, except maybe if you're looking to off load it soon.

Yes, there will always be outliers even with the brands that are generally known to be reliable...but, in most cases those brands have a history and will typically back their product if an issues arises. Your examples of sometimes warranties being denied reminds me of all of the discussions about DAW, a brand I would consider on par with any other fly by night eBay vendor...but I'm sure if you dig enough you'd find some disgruntled customers of Pure and RB...

Anyway, the OP asked for opinions, so I gave mine. My 335i is one of 3 cars that I own, so it isn't a big deal if it's down for a while. At the same time, I bought it to drive it and enjoy it, not to have it sit broken because I chose to cheap out on critical parts.
All I was saying is spending $6000 on just a set of turbos is a little out of budget, considering that doesnt include any other parts. It would cost me to close to $10k after install, lpfp, inlets outlets, and other maintenance. I would do the work myself but I dont have anywhere to do it, plus the shop I go to warranties their work and is really good to me.

I've been trying to find some long term reviews of the ebay turbos but havent really been able to find anything.

Nonetheless, if let's say they are reliable and people arent having issues with the ebay turbos, why would you spend more money on a set of turbos when theres a much cheaper and just as reliable option?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 07:58 AM   #17
Jeef
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E92 335i

if you want a true td04 upgrade go with RB turbo. if you don't care what you are buying or putting on the car, go with another brand. Not even pure is on the same level as RB.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 07:58 AM   #18
gavin_0108
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rule1977 View Post
RB Twos are quite a bit bigger than oem. Oem are 10t and the two's are 15t. You could look at the Twos Plus which are 17t.
Oh lol, I thought oem was 13t. Thanks man
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 08:04 AM   #19
Rule1977
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeef View Post
if you want a true td04 upgrade go with RB turbo. if you don't care what you are buying or putting on the car, go with another brand. Not even pure is on the same level as RB.
Agree 100%
MOSSELMAN OIL THERMOSTAT
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 08:08 AM   #20
Rule1977
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

All I was saying is spending $6000 on just a set of turbos is a little out of budget, considering that doesnt include any other parts. It would cost me to close to $10k after install, lpfp, inlets outlets, and other maintenance. I would do the work myself but I dont have anywhere to do it, plus the shop I go to warranties their work and is really good to me.

I've been trying to find some long term reviews of the ebay turbos but havent really been able to find anything.

Nonetheless, if let's say they are reliable and people arent having issues with the ebay turbos, why would you spend more money on a set of turbos when theres a much cheaper and just as reliable option?
This
Attached Images

MOSSELMAN OIL THERMOSTAT
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 09:00 AM   #21
Smgs1992
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 335i

Its not worth the risk imo why take a gamble on something that is gonna cost several grand?
Go with pure or RB
07 E92 335i 6MT, MMP inlets, DCI, VRSF 7.5 competition intercooler, VRSF catless downpipes, VRSF chargepipe, 335is clutch, Vader Solutions stage 2 LPFP, MHD stage 2+, Hawk HPS 5.0 pads, R1 Concepts drilled slotted rotors, TSW Nurburgring 19x8 19x9.5
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 09:10 AM   #22
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

I agree with you, $6k is a lot of money...but, all of those supporting mods have to be done regardless of which turbos you go with, so that cost remains the same. Same thing for the labor, which is my point because if you're paying for labor there's a higher likelihood you'll be paying for it again if the unproven turbos take a shit. I'm not trying to convince you here, it's your car and money, just brining up points that people don't often consider when price shopping.
Appreciate 0