E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > TCU for 6FL

03-20-2017, 10:04 AM   #1
GXCars
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 M Sport Coupe

TCU for 6FL

I'm just looking for a definitive answer on this - My car currently has retrofitted CIC with a standard MULF in the boot, I have sitting in my cupboard a TCU 8410 9177754 - 02 which I bought for my last car to do a BT retrofit but never used.

I want 6FL but the MULF does not have a socket for the LVDS cable to connect to the USB port but the TCU I believe does. Does anyone know if its possible to swap the MULF out for the TCU and if it will support both the BT and the 6FL as I've only ever seen these fitted in conjunction with the MULF as technically is for BMW assist which the car doesnt have or the wiring for it

My car has $694 in the boot or the CD changer so I was wondering if there might also be a possibility to fit the TCU and use it to run the 6FL from that location as in theory it should be just CAN/Power and MOST to get it working

Sorry if its a bit complicated I'm just trying to avoid buying a MULF2 if I have a part that might do the job

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 11:05 AM   #2
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by GXCars View Post
I'm just looking for a definitive answer on this - My car currently has retrofitted CIC with a standard MULF in the boot, I have sitting in my cupboard a TCU 8410 9177754 - 02 which I bought for my last car to do a BT retrofit but never used.

I want 6FL but the MULF does not have a socket for the LVDS cable to connect to the USB port but the TCU I believe does. Does anyone know if its possible to swap the MULF out for the TCU and if it will support both the BT and the 6FL as I've only ever seen these fitted in conjunction with the MULF as technically is for BMW assist which the car doesnt have or the wiring for it

My car has $694 in the boot or the CD changer so I was wondering if there might also be a possibility to fit the TCU and use it to run the 6FL from that location as in theory it should be just CAN/Power and MOST to get it working

Sorry if its a bit complicated I'm just trying to avoid buying a MULF2 if I have a part that might do the job

Thanks in advance
You can run TCU and MULF in parallel. But are you sure your TCU has USB???

Also TCU often dies. It's a known problem. If all you want is USB then I'd go MULF2 High route or Dension.

Or why not go for a complete combox retrofit?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 04:23 PM   #3
R99
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 330d F31 Touring

Why not just get a Combox......?

Much better integration and can support USB, plus Apps (if you have the correct firmware) and also Bluetooth audio streaming.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 04:57 PM   #4
GXCars
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 M Sport Coupe

I was just looking at the cheapest path, I'm saving my pennies for a 4 series that will have all this stuff as standard, it was just that I wanted the USB music and the TCU looks like it has the LVDS connector. and it saves me buying a MULF2

I've already retrofitted CIC i drive from scratch (business) and rain sensing wipers and auto lights and the only thing I'm missing is the USB music

I've got to get my CIC firmware updated which is my next job so if anyone knows anyone close to Slough/Uxbridge/Wycombe who can do it at a sensible price let me know as I cant get the map update to work via USB

Maybe then I can think about a combox.....
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 03:58 PM   #5
vorph
Banned
Rep
Drives: F30

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1338611
Appreciate 0