E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Catless DP's and exhaust wrap

09-12-2012, 07:04 PM   #1
Zebra99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is E93

Garage List
Catless DP's and exhaust wrap

Hey guys,

Hope this isn't a stupid question, but I was curious to know if anyone has any experience in wrapping the DP's with heat wrap? Almost looks like tensor bandage roll to wrap around the exhaust.

I figure with all the heat that this engine produces the exhaust wrap would only help if covering the whole DP section.

Can anyone chime in here? I'm getting them put on Saturday and would like to buy some wrap prior to install.

Also, I'm in Mississauga area so does anyone know any good vendors here or GTA that have this kind of product and is it worth it?

Thx!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 07:21 PM   #2
Bimmer305
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra99 View Post
Hey guys,

Hope this isn't a stupid question, but I was curious to know if anyone has any experience in wrapping the DP's with heat wrap? Almost looks like tensor bandage roll to wrap around the exhaust.

I figure with all the heat that this engine produces the exhaust wrap would only help if covering the whole DP section.

Can anyone chime in here? I'm getting them put on Saturday and would like to buy some wrap prior to install.

Also, I'm in Mississauga area so does anyone know any good vendors here or GTA that have this kind of product and is it worth it?

Thx!
Don't take my word for it, but;

Someone asked that same question and someone replied that the wrapping of the downpipes will hold moisture and make the welds on the downpipes fail with time.

I don't know how true that may be.

Edit:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=563511&highlight=downpipes+wrap
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=474535&highlight=downpipes+wrap

Last edited by Bimmer305; 09-12-2012 at 07:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 07:59 PM   #3
Zebra99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is E93

Garage List
Man that sux...what about first wrapping the welds in high grade aluminum furnace tape (seal it all nice) and then using the wrap?

Sounds retarded, but in my vast and optimistic imagination it seems to work lol
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 08:04 PM   #4
ajm8127
Private
Rep
Drives: '07 335i

I bought a set of headers once and even though they were stainless, wrapping them would void the warranty. Ceramic coating was the suggestion of the guy who ran the company I bought them from.

Stainless steel is not oxidation proof, and with the heat present in an exhaust, the oxidation process is accelerated.

So take what you want away from that; if long term longevity is not high on the priority lost, then maybe wrapping is an option for you.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 11:50 PM   #5
Dr. G
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black e92 335i

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra99 View Post
Man that sux...what about first wrapping the welds in high grade aluminum furnace tape (seal it all nice) and then using the wrap?

Sounds retarded, but in my vast and optimistic imagination it seems to work lol
There are ways you could make the exhaust wrap work, but it requires a bit more effort to make sure that you don't let moisture damage the SS-303 (I think that's what most ppl here use for their dp's).

Most people just wrap it and forget it, you should at least hit it with some silicone spray paint thats made for high temps. The exhaust will help cure/bake the paint as well. If it were me doing it, I would probably coat them in something that can protect against corrosion and handle high heat before anything though. Not sure if por15 would work for this application, but if it does I would hit it with por15, then some VHT header paint, then wet wrap them, let them dry and then finally hit them with some high temp silicone. Seems like a bit too much effort though.

Ceramic coating would be a much easier and headache free route and probably works better too.
JB4 / OSS Angel Eyes / Downpipes / F1-Racewerks FMIC / Custom Meth Kit / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS BOV / BMS Meth Elbow / BMW Performance Exhaust / Carbon Fiber Inlay Quad Tips / 19" Miro 111 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Sides / VRS CSL Trunk / Mtech Rear / DD CF Quad Finned Diffuser / LCI Tails / BBK / Smoked Reflectors / F1 Euphoria LED Interior / License LED's / GT 5000k Corners / 5000k HID Fogs / Air Scoops / LED Turn Signals / FK Silverline Coilovers / HPA endlinks / Vibrant Resonators / Osram CBI 5000k D1S
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 12:08 AM   #6
135Hoser
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: '16 m4 zcp

I had mine ceramic coated. All the benefits of exhaust wrap, none of the down sides.

There might even be someone in your city who can do it.

My STi was done with exhaust wrap, and the wrap failed inside of a year, and left everything in HORRIBLE condition. All the bolts are covered in a lot of rust, the up pipe looks like trash and yeah.

Also installing exhaust wrap is annoying. Far better to drop it off at someones shop and get it back looking like pure sex.
Appreciate 0