E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Help! slight leak in engine/bay

07-05-2013, 01:28 PM   #1
Tugy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 Coupe M sport 330D

Exclamation Help! slight leak in engine/bay

hello i need some help with a slight engine leak i have, i dont know if its a oil or diesel leak. am going to show a few pictures i took, i hope some knowledged bmw owners can help with my problem, i dont want to take it to a garage and be ripped off, i just bought a new socket set recently too so i wouldnt mind listening to some friendly advice. thanks in advance.

E92 330D engine

here is a pick on the right side of the engine at the bottom, this was the first orignal place i noticed the leak.

here is a image of the leak deep inside the engine, a shot from the right side where the oil filter is. look in the center.

again the leak is obviouse and its pretty sticky in there.

another shot from behind the oil filter, take a close look

look where the flash light is, just under that theres more signs of oil or diesel leak. what could this be?

this issue was present when i first bought the car a year ago, but recently after a dpf removal and a remap, i think it has put a bit more pressure on that old leak i had which was considered minor before the remap. but i think its got worst since then.

any suggestions and advice is appreciated. thanks alot
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2013, 05:36 AM   #2
Tugy
Private First Class
Rep

Any help or suggestion would be appreciated
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2013, 11:15 AM   #3
Bartman619
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

....Looks like a leaky valve cover gasket to me. There's a DIY on the DIY section, but it's for N54/52 engines.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2013, 11:57 AM   #4
Tugy
Private First Class
Rep

so you suggestion to change maybe the cover gasket, how much do they roughly cost by the way?

all help appreciated
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 11:25 AM   #5
Tugy
Private First Class
Rep

bump for advice
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 05:58 PM   #6
elephantine
Rep
Drives: 2005 e90 330d

hmm seems a bit less info on 330ds on here so far... I have a e90 330d and I have similar oil deposits on the cables under the inlet 'fold. I unbolted the inlet recently to change all 6 glow plugs, and I have to say I found a little of what i think is diesel leaking through the swirl flaps off the manifold and onto the cables... this is a well documented prob if you search the issue on e46 330d's... they have improved swirl flap design but they still leak diesel and there is still a general recommendaiton to remove swirl flaps and fit blanking plugs - again e46 330d advice... there is a small opinion on forums that doing this affects throttle response, I cant comment yet as I left my swirl flaps in for now (I am on 112k miles, so only just breaking in :-D ).

This isnt to say it isnt a gasket leak mind you, there are individual orange coloured gaskets for each intake branch on the inlet, and one of mine seemed to have a little oil residue round the outside and looked a little swollen... thinik they are cheap to replace so best to do them if you are running higher mileage like mine :-)

When i did the glow plug change I cleaned as best i could, but stilll have similar oily deposits as in your pics... If I get time I will go back and clean properly :-D (mine is a daily driver so time a bit limited...)
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 05:59 PM   #7
elephantine
Rep

link to an e90 reported issue like this...

https://www.bmwland.co.uk/forums/vie...3659&p=1108087
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 06:09 PM   #8
elephantine
Rep

Here is a sample of the orange gaskets and replacement blanking plugs for the inlet manifold:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-swirl-...item1c4c31ab9e

Be aware the often 2 sizes of swirl flap blanking plates are quoted for e90 330d... you need to check what size you need... (mine looked like larger of the 2 sizes but as I say I didnt go for replacement yet)

I am by no means advocating buying parts off ebay! get BMW original if you can, as always, buyer beware ;-). Pics give you an idea what to look for though...

the swirl flap replacement may be a pain in the ass... but by the time you get the inlet manifold off you will have toughened up so it will seem like a walk in the park :-D

Let us know how you get on with it :-)

Phil
Appreciate 0