E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > N54 Limp Mode - No Codes- Oil Temp only ~250

03-16-2015, 06:15 PM   #1
Pheret
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 335 6mt

N54 Limp Mode - No Codes- Oil Temp only ~250

The car:
2007 335i 6MT
83,XXX Miles
Dual Cone Intake- otherwise stock

The short: Car goes into limp mode after hard driving, no other lights, no engine codes able to be pulled, oil temp never above 250, wtf?

The Long:
Got the car ~1 month ago, sat through the snowy/salty days.
A week or two ago when the weather was nice I took my new-to-me 335 out for some spirited driving. In the Dayton area there is a tunnel off US35. I did a few passes through there and around some of the tight corners for probably 30 minutes or so. Love the car. As I'm getting back onto 35 spiritedly to head to Kroger in Beavercreek my car goes into limp mode with no other lights. I drive carefully to Kroger and shut it down, popped the hood and checked for any obvious issues to no avail. Ran into Kroger for some things, when I came out limp mode was gone. I went across the street to O'Reilly Auto and had them pull codes, oh which there were none.

No issues since.

Saturday I'm out getting parts as I'm working on my friends car for him, we stop at a drive through for some very unhealthy food, as I pull out spiritedly I get limp mode again. At the next red light I shut it off and start it back up, no more limp mode. Had the codes checked today at my old work, no codes. On my way home I drive it kind of hard, trying to recreate limp mode and succeeded, looked down and my oil temp is only at 250, never above.

Other known issues:
None that I've noticed other than an LED tail light out and under-sized wheels/tires (225/45/17 squared, buhhhh).

Scouring the internet everyone says to pull codes. I've tried, albeit with not so awesome scanners. My co-worker is supposed to bring in his super duper awesome sauce scanner tomorrow, we'll see. Until then I'm leaning towards 3 things: HPFP, Oil temp (though it shouldn't be a problem until ~290-300), or Water temp which I just learned to check, BRB.

I know limp mode is a problem, as is cooling on these engines, without codes I'm at a loss. I have a 3mo/3000mi warranty that came with the car that I'm about to call in, was just hoping to get opinions/codes before I did.

Any thoughts? Whomp whomp
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 06:34 PM   #2
TrAcK TRaP
bOrN To DiE
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

don't drive it hard
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 07:39 PM   #3
Pheret
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54CherryHill View Post
don't drive it hard
But turbo....

I read up how to check the water temp, after getting the limp mode again my coolant never got above 105-106* C. From my understanding it shouldn't be an issue until like 120 and I didn't reach those temps when it happened, just once I first started the car. It was around 97 went limp mode occurred.

I will note that this time while the light was on the performance wasn't nearly as restricted. With previous lights I couldn't build boost, or at least wouldn't get any blown off sound.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 07:50 PM   #4
TrAcK TRaP
bOrN To DiE
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheret View Post
But turbo....

I read up how to check the water temp, after getting the limp mode again my coolant never got above 105-106* C. From my understanding it shouldn't be an issue until like 120 and I didn't reach those temps when it happened, just once I first started the car. It was around 97 went limp mode occurred.

I will note that this time while the light was on the performance wasn't nearly as restricted. With previous lights I couldn't build boost, or at least wouldn't get any blown off sound.
and your only mod is dual cone intake?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 07:59 PM   #5
Pheret
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54CherryHill View Post
and your only mod is dual cone intake?
Yup. P.O. put undersized wheels/tires on it, waiting for proper ones in the mail then planned on jb4, DP, IC ect ect ect. So far it's just the DCI.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 08:18 PM   #6
TrAcK TRaP
bOrN To DiE
United_States
Rep

change your spark plugs with coils b4 you do everything else.. Also you should consider walnut blasting at that mile if you never did it. Otherwise you'll get misfires after mentioned mods..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 09:09 PM   #7
jon_335
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Since you say you weren't able to build boost, I'm wondering if maybe the charge pipe might not be fully seated. I had that happen to me after doing some work on my car.

2007 BMW 335i | Garner, North Carolina
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 06:36 AM   #8
Pheret
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_335 View Post
Since you say you weren't able to build boost, I'm wondering if maybe the charge pipe might not be fully seated. I had that happen to me after doing some work on my car.
The lack of boost only came once limp mode kicked on.

I noticed the vacuum hoses at the diverter valves looked frayed and felt weak. I replaced those. Couldn't get limp again last night but wasn't trying too hard. 3 in one day was plenty.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 11:37 AM   #9
robthewrench
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 335i

Pull codes with a BMW specific code reader like INPA, Bav Tech tool, etc....

I'm assuming you're pulling codes with generic OBDII reader. This will typically only get you emissions related codes that are required to be able to be read by any OBDII readers. I bet there is more specific information to be had....
Appreciate 0