E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > WTF now ?!

06-25-2011, 09:21 AM   #1
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: A metal box with a roundel

WTF now ?!

Got SES light all if a sudden when cold starting my car....car idles like shit and started spewing white smoke and it smelled like burned gasoline.....

Here are the codes:

10700 multiple cylinder misfire?
10701 cylinder 1 misfire
10702 cylinder 2 misfire
10927 fuel pump plausibility

I've never had white smoke associated with misfires before. Is there something else to the smoke?

please chime in.

TIA

'08 AW E90 335i
PROcede V5 | BMS DCI | RR DPs | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | Stett CP | Vanguard | PSS10
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2011, 09:35 AM   #2
N54bimmer
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 n54

How many miles on spark plugs and injectors?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2011, 11:32 AM   #3
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Four thousand or so miles in the injectors, and the plugs are two weeks old.....so IDK. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54bimmer View Post
How many miles on spark plugs and injectors?

'08 AW E90 335i
PROcede V5 | BMS DCI | RR DPs | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | Stett CP | Vanguard | PSS10
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2011, 11:40 AM   #4
Naptime
#Hashtag
Rep
Drives: around in circles

Any mods?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2011, 12:29 PM   #5
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

FBO

Changed both VANOS solenoid two weeks ago too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naptime View Post
Any mods?

'08 AW E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2011, 05:28 PM   #6
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Video inside

Ok, so I decided to record a clip of what I was experiencing......See for yourselves. I just changed the plugs 2 wks ago and same with VANOS solenoids.

Two days ago, it was spewing thick white smoke out of the exhaust, and then the car started having REALLY rough idles......

The garage smelled heavily of gasoline when I turned off the car....I'm fully catless, but it smelled WAY worse than that, and I can definitely tell the difference.

Please let me know what you guys think is wrong with my car.

TIA

'08 AW E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2011, 05:44 PM   #7
NiVeDh
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i, '99 E36 M3

Garage List
If I had to guess, HPFP and/or injectors are going.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2011, 07:26 PM   #8
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Ya, that's what it seem like to me. But I don't remember having misfires when I had my previous hpfp malfunction......huh.

I hope it's the hpfp........

'08 AW E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2011, 07:41 PM   #9
N54bimmer
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 n54

take off all mods and go to dealer. I am 95% sure its the hpfp...the way it was it was begging for more fuel...yeah your pump is dead!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2011, 10:59 PM   #10
s2k_335i
This is it!!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: FBO 335i without meth

Replace pump?
      06-27-2011, 12:21 AM   #11
gian335
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 335

injectors!!!!! thats exactly how mine ran, when 5 out of the 6 injectors failed, it would barely run and ended up shutting down, thick white smoke, that just stunk up my whole garage kinda smelling like coolant. your plugs are probably fouled aswell due to the bad injectors

if your getting white smoke, its not fuel pump, its injectors trust...
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 12:26 AM   #12
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstmx_ryder View Post
Four thousand or so miles in the injectors, and the plugs are two weeks old.....so IDK. lol
^injectors r new and failed after 4K?? what is going on there..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 12:50 AM   #13
blacknbean
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6MT

i would atleast take out the procede. then go from there.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 01:07 AM   #14
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Well the car's out of warranty, so should I just tow it to the dealers or an indy shop to see if it's the hpfp?

Here's the thing, if I tow it to the dealers and it is hpfp related, then it's covered. But if it's not, at least I'll know what's wrong with it, but I'll have to tow it back to the indy shop to get it repaired.....

But if I tow it to the indy shop, it'll cost less to find out what's wrong with it. If it's the hpfp, I'll have to tow it back to the dealers. If it's something else, obviously I'll just leave it there and get it repaired....

So what do you guys think?

'08 AW E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 01:44 AM   #15
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Yea i say remove ur piggy first and see how the car runs
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 01:56 AM   #16
Sparky66
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335 E92 Coupe. Jet Black.

My car ran just like in that video when the pump died...........don't you guys have an extended 10 year warranty on the pump
      06-27-2011, 06:42 AM   #17
JacksonHandy
Clearing the Way
Germany
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Ok, so I decided to record a clip of what I was experiencing......See for yourselves. I just changed the plugs 2 wks ago and same with VANOS solenoids.

Two days ago, it was spewing thick white smoke out of the exhaust, and then the car started having REALLY rough idles......

The garage smelled heavily of gasoline when I turned off the car....I'm fully catless, but it smelled WAY worse than that, and I can definitely tell the difference.

Please let me know what you guys think is wrong with my car.

TIA
I just had my HPFP replaced under recall, and have been experiencing an unstable idle just like yours. I have no mods on right now other than an SSK. I'm going to the dealer tomorrow to see if it will replicate. I hope its not an injector and new pump thing. Car ran like a champ before they changed it!

Also, my turbos whine like a mofo, loud as hell, so I'm going to show that to them too.

SCTW!

Mods? Maybe, Maybe not.....
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 07:13 AM   #18
C4sF80M3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 F80 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Got SES light all if a sudden when cold starting my car....car idles like shit and started spewing white smoke and it smelled like burned gasoline.....

Here are the codes:

10700 multiple cylinder misfire?
10701 cylinder 1 misfire
10702 cylinder 2 misfire
10927 fuel pump plausibility

I've never had white smoke associated with misfires before. Is there something else to the smoke?

please chime in.

TIA
Did it smell like burnt gasoline or unburnt gasoline? It sounds like you're not getting proper ignition from all cylinders. I would check the plugs and make sure the coil packs are working properly. You can disconnect them individually while the car is running to see which disconnects cause a change in engine running, and which ones that do not. The ones that do not are your problem cylinders. Based on the codes, you should probably just check the first two cylinders. Pull the plugs to see if they are wet instead of dry. You can try swapping coil packs around to see if the problem moves to a different cylinder.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 09:46 AM   #19
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky66 View Post
My car ran just like in that video when the pump died...........don't you guys have an extended 10 year warranty on the pump
Yes we do! I'm hoping that's the issue.........God I love owning bimmers, wouldn't have it any other way lol......

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonHandy View Post
I just had my HPFP replaced under recall, and have been experiencing an unstable idle just like yours. I have no mods on right now other than an SSK. I'm going to the dealer tomorrow to see if it will replicate. I hope its not an injector and new pump thing. Car ran like a champ before they changed it!

Also, my turbos whine like a mofo, loud as hell, so I'm going to show that to them too.
But did your car spew thick white smoke prior to it having rough idle? Mine did.......That's what I thought was strange. Before when I had hpfp failure, it just had long long cranks and idle rough, and that's about it. But this time is a little different, that's why I'm concerned.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4s335i View Post
Did it smell like burnt gasoline or unburnt gasoline? It sounds like you're not getting proper ignition from all cylinders. I would check the plugs and make sure the coil packs are working properly. You can disconnect them individually while the car is running to see which disconnects cause a change in engine running, and which ones that do not. The ones that do not are your problem cylinders. Based on the codes, you should probably just check the first two cylinders. Pull the plugs to see if they are wet instead of dry. You can try swapping coil packs around to see if the problem moves to a different cylinder.
Actually, it smelled like unburned gasoline.....What does that mean?

Ya I think I'm going to check the coils and plugs on the cylinders that was misfiring.

As far as checking your coils, you said I can unplug one at a time to see if that cylinder/coil is affecting idle? Wouldn't that throw a code?

What does it mean if the plugs are dry or wet?

Also, should I just tow it to the dealers banking on the fact that it's a hpfp issue. Or should I tow it to an indy shop that worked on my car to have them make sure that hpfp is the problem. I just don't want to tow it to the dealers and find out that it's the injectors or something that's not related to hpfp. Because then, I'd have to pay for them for the time for diagnosing my car. Tow it back to the indy shop and have the injectors installed there......Just trying to find the most cost efficient way to approach this.

TIA

'08 AW E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 09:54 AM   #20
awd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 16 M4

Unburned gas should be spark. The gas is not getting burned. I would check spark first.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 09:57 AM   #21
faded67
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 AW 335i Sedan

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
I believe the HPFP is warranteed to 100K miles/Ten years so if its the HPFP you should be good.

Quote:
Well the car's out of warranty, so should I just tow it to the dealers or an indy shop to see if it's the hpfp?

Here's the thing, if I tow it to the dealers and it is hpfp related, then it's covered. But if it's not, at least I'll know what's wrong with it, but I'll have to tow it back to the indy shop to get it repaired.....

But if I tow it to the indy shop, it'll cost less to find out what's wrong with it. If it's the hpfp, I'll have to tow it back to the dealers. If it's something else, obviously I'll just leave it there and get it repaired....

So what do you guys think?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 10:20 AM   #22
C4sF80M3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 F80 M3 ZCP

Quote:

Actually, it smelled like unburned gasoline.....What does that mean?

Ya I think I'm going to check the coils and plugs on the cylinders that was misfiring.

As far as checking your coils, you said I can unplug one at a time to see if that cylinder/coil is affecting idle? Wouldn't that throw a code?

What does it mean if the plugs are dry or wet?

Also, should I just tow it to the dealers banking on the fact that it's a hpfp issue. Or should I tow it to an indy shop that worked on my car to have them make sure that hpfp is the problem. I just don't want to tow it to the dealers and find out that it's the injectors or something that's not related to hpfp. Because then, I'd have to pay for them for the time for diagnosing my car. Tow it back to the indy shop and have the injectors installed there......Just trying to find the most cost efficient way to approach this.

TIA
Unburned gas means that either too much fuel is being sprayed and it can't be consumed, or that not all of the cylinders are firing and the unburnt fuel is just coming out of the tail pipe. I'm guess the latter is the case and that is usually caused by bad spark plugs or a bad coil pack.

Wet plugs means that the plug is not firing. Dry means that it's working correctly, or not getting fuel. But given your description I would say that dry means that cylinder is fine.
Appreciate 0