E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > E90 Juddering, white smoke, DPF Delete ? please help

02-03-2020, 04:48 AM   #1
Dontworry
Rep
Drives: 2010 320i Business edition

E90 Juddering, white smoke, DPF Delete ? please help

Hi All,

I have a Bmw 318D 2011, N47 engine.

my car would randomly come up with Engine fault - Full engine power no longer available. Possible to continue journey. Drive moderately. Have the problem checked by the nearest BMW Service.

if im driving and this error comes up my car would start to judder, and the more i accelerate the more the car judders and comes to as stop and my car would stall with loads of white smoke, i would try start the car a good 5-10 times and it would start and stall with white smoke. then i manage to start it and drive off, this can happen randomly

Past History, DPF was removed with DPF delete map and the car was also remapped, this was done 3 years ago.... last year timing chain went and had the engine rebuilt since then i been getting this issue, the company is liquidated so i cant go back to them,

ive had the Garage and RAC tell me that it looks like your car is doing the DPF regen because the status is set to active, he mentioned if the Map was done correctly it will stay inactive, not sure if this is true,

do you think when the engine got rebuilt they put the car back to stock via ECU, hence to fix the issue i need to do DPF delete ?

please see error codes below,

4390 - Boost temperature sensor, signal too high/low, open circuit / circuit malfunction

497D - Pressure sensors,plausibility under after run: Exhaust gas pressure before the turbo charger not reasonable in relation to ambient pressure,

4B81 - Exhaust feedback quantity regulation, control deviation,

483D - Function throttle actuator

4D96 - Exhasust back pressure sensor before the turbine, zone

Many thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 11:18 AM   #2
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

ask jason,bw chiptune,,and if they have reset the ecu then it will of deleted any tuning/deletion of egr/dpf etc..dont drive till you have expert advice,,could be dumping diesel into engine as it will be trying to do a regen and using the fuel.but it goes into engine as has nowhere to go
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 05:09 AM   #3
Dontworry
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasa bmw View Post
ask jason,bw chiptune,,and if they have reset the ecu then it will of deleted any tuning/deletion of egr/dpf etc..dont drive till you have expert advice,,could be dumping diesel into engine as it will be trying to do a regen and using the fuel.but it goes into engine as has nowhere to go
Thank you for your reply,

Is Jason on this forum, i really need to get this sorted, if i leave my car running for 15 mins i would get the engine fault, do you think it could be the DPF ?

I Know RAC confirmed that your Exhaust temp was raising as if its doing a regen, another Garage showed the Regen is active,

Last edited by Dontworry; 02-05-2020 at 05:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 07:57 AM   #4
Silver Streek
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325d E91

As rasa pointed out, if they have reset the ECU it would have wiped the remap and the removal of the DPF regen feature. So your car will getting confused when its trying to do a regen without a DPF fitted.

Yeah you need to get it to a decent mapper such as BWChiptune and have the map investigated then tweaked to remove the regen action. Or put a DPF back on and save the rest of us the stink created by cars that have no DPF 😂.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 08:44 AM   #5
dragerboy
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330D

I had my DPF re-fitted. Was about 3 hours labour at a local garage. Probably your best bet if it is trying to regen.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 10:56 AM   #6
Dontworry
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Streek View Post
As rasa pointed out, if they have reset the ECU it would have wiped the remap and the removal of the DPF regen feature. So your car will getting confused when its trying to do a regen without a DPF fitted.

Yeah you need to get it to a decent mapper such as BWChiptune and have the map investigated then tweaked to remove the regen action. Or put a DPF back on and save the rest of us the stink created by cars that have no DPF 😂.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragerboy View Post
I had my DPF re-fitted. Was about 3 hours labour at a local garage. Probably your best bet if it is trying to regen.
Hi, thanks for your responses,

but wouldnt my DPF light still come up, how comes you put the DPF back on, was you also experiencing the same issues
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 11:33 AM   #7
Silver Streek
Lieutenant
Rep

Dontworry you can still get good power with a DPF fitted if you have it mapped. If a mapper tells you that you need the dpf removed to make good power then you need to find a decent tuner. There's no real drawback of having a DPF fitted. Less worry you might fail the mot and no smoke coming from your car. If your car is well serviced and everything works as it should, the DPF should not give you any trouble even with shorter journey's.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 04:04 PM   #8
therealdb1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Graphite E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dontworry View Post
how comes you put the DPF back on
A good reason is that it is illegal to run a diesel in the UK without a DPF fitted!

As others have said, if you regen properly and find a good tuner there is no need to remove it in the first place and you can potentially save yourself grief later. It is sometimes the case that you need to temporarily refit the DPF to pass the MOT depending on how cleanly your engine runs anyway.

I suspect those that took out their DPF's were trying to gain bhp on the cheap rather than doing the above.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 10:42 PM   #9
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

Quote:
Thank you for your reply,

Is Jason on this forum, i really need to get this sorted, if i leave my car running for 15 mins i would get the engine fault, do you think it could be the DPF ?

I Know RAC confirmed that your Exhaust temp was raising as if its doing a regen, another Garage showed the Regen is active,
he is on this forum,,but he aint a sponsor on this forum,,he is a busuness also,,so telling you how to fix it may not happen,,but if you can,,just contact him,,facebook/bimmerforum etc,,tell him kenny said to contact you..he is a really nice guy and the best in the business..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 04:25 AM   #10
Dontworry
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasa bmw View Post
he is on this forum,,but he aint a sponsor on this forum,,he is a busuness also,,so telling you how to fix it may not happen,,but if you can,,just contact him,,facebook/bimmerforum etc,,tell him kenny said to contact you..he is a really nice guy and the best in the business..
Yeah Ive spoken to him hes given me an option to either post the ECU or bring the car in,

im not sure if the ECU will be enough to determine this issue, or i have to bring the car in and leave it there, what do you recon ?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 07:49 AM   #11
Silver Streek
Lieutenant
Rep

Why dont you pop down to see him, he can then see exactly what is going on with the car and let you know what your options are.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 09:43 AM   #12
Dontworry
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Streek View Post
Why dont you pop down to see him, he can then see exactly what is going on with the car and let you know what your options are.
Im not local thats the thing, plus i have to book it in, thats why i was thinking shall i post the ECU instead
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 11:00 AM   #13
Silver Streek
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Im not local thats the thing, plus i have to book it in, thats why i was thinking shall i post the ECU instead
Ahh ok makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 04:59 AM   #14
Dontworry
Rep

Dropped the car off last night at bw chiptune,

will keep everyone posted with the results,
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 08:40 AM   #15
rasa bmw
Colonel