E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Airbag and Seatbelt Warning Lights

10-20-2013, 07:00 AM   #1
fishfun83
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i Sedan

Airbag and Seatbelt Warning Lights

I have a 2007 BMW 328i Sedan. I recently replaced both the alternator and the battery and used my BT Tool to register the new battery. When I finished the job and registered the battery, when I went to take it for a test drive, the LARGE airbag warning light came on as well as the small airbag and seatbelt light on the dash. After driving for about a minute, all the dash warning lights went off EXCEPT for the small seatbelt light. I put the car back on the BT Tool and I am reading faults 93D1 and 93C3.

Over the last week, every time I drive the car, at some point, the warning lights come on and go back off EXCEPT for the seatbelt light. I have read about the problems with the seat mat but I thought BMW got this issue resolved with the 2007 model and have a hard time believing that the mat would decide to go bad just as I finished replacing the alternator and battery.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should check?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 07:03 AM   #2
mistryn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

Is there anything jammed under the front drivers/passenger seat?

Mine went off but there was a bottle of watter jammed between the the cable connector and the floor so when the seat was adjusted it would tug on the cables and it may have been loose and the 9c code would come up

It still comes up now and then again but I be keeping a eye on this thread to see what the solution is
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 07:06 AM   #3
fishfun83
Rep

I did check under the seat and found a few papers stuffed under there but nothing major. I have checked the connector and it seems to be OK.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 06:39 AM   #4
fishfun83
Rep

I am continuing to have issues with the airbag and seatbelt warning lights coming on. When I drive by myself, with no one in the passenger seat, the lights DO NOT come on. Since my last post, I have removed the battery negative cable, checked all of the connections to and from the battery and verified that all of the connectors are good under the passenger seat.

Any ideas or suggestions will be welcomed. Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 08:52 AM   #5
Red_Bean_Bun
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92

Scan for codes to eliminate speculation ......
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 08:00 PM   #6
fishfun83
Rep

I am reading faults 93D1 and 93C3
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 05:08 AM   #7
fishfun83
Rep

I have now continued to have the problem for over 2 weeks. A little has changed though. Now, sometimes, all the warning indicator lights go off and stay off through several start/stop cycles. Then, all of a sudden, when I crank up, they are back again. This only happens when someone is in the passenger seat.

PLEASE HELP!!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2015, 01:41 PM   #8
Kjaakars
Rep
Drives: BMW 08 e90

Hello. I have 2008 BMW 320 (e90). My problem was similar with seatbelt and airbag light when someone sit in passenger seat.. Dealer didnt go for a recall mat sensor so i found another solution, to buy a bypass emulator, to keep the computer to think that seat is always occupied. Everything worked fine, until someone was sitting there, in moment when noone was there - seatbelt light is on and that stupid noise to put on seatbelt.. I found a code to remove that seatbelt chime (SBR_BEIFAHRER_1 and set it to nicht_aktiv in ABG module with NCS Expert..) Okey, the sound is now gone, but the light is still on while noone is there. I dont want to always put in passenger seatbelt while im driving alone to get rid of the seatbelt light, so i wanted to ask is there some kind a code to disable that seatbelt light? Every help would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 01:29 AM   #9
bajandrifter
YouTuber @SALVAGE NATION
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 325I LCI E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfun83 View Post
I have now continued to have the problem for over 2 weeks. A little has changed though. Now, sometimes, all the warning indicator lights go off and stay off through several start/stop cycles. Then, all of a sudden, when I crank up, they are back again. This only happens when someone is in the passenger seat.

PLEASE HELP!!
100% passenger seat occupancy sensor. ive done a few cars with this, your options are.
replace the seat occupancy sensor (its hard as its a mat like peice that covers the seat under the fabric.

code out the occupancy sensor

or buy one of thesehttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E90-E6...item2eca9f48c1

thats it
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 02:34 AM   #10
NEFARIOUS
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi (TRADED IN)

Garage List
Try tightening the connections... In my Solara it was a common issue for the front passenger seat's airbag lines to come loose and I'd have to tighten the connection every time I had to let someone into the back. In fact, it was so bad that I was almost going to solder the connections together instead.
::THE MACHETE::
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 10:57 AM   #11
Fooljam
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 5 series

Coding out the occupancy is best if you do not want to spend money on a new mat.
Not only it will still deploy but you won't get a seatbelt warning/gong.
When doing so the mat also needs to be physically disconnected, otherwise it won't work.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 12:57 PM   #12
bajandrifter
YouTuber @SALVAGE NATION
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 325I LCI E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fooljam View Post
Coding out the occupancy is best if you do not want to spend money on a new mat.
When doing so the mat also needs to be physically disconnected, otherwise it won't work.
yep!!! EXACTLY as i said ive done a few and had the same symptoms. i always give my costumers the option to fix or delete them, and most of the time i just delete them with coding and cuttin the wire under the seat.

on my own e92 i just coded out the battery cut off as it was faulty and causing errors to pop up.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 12:15 AM   #13
Kjaakars
Rep
Drives: BMW 08 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fooljam View Post
Can you give some kind a DIY or guide thru the process to code out the occupancy?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 08:53 AM   #14
Bmw4lifejoc
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 09:10 PM   #15
sparkedon
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

So, just to make sure I understand, he replaced the buckle and that fixed the problem? Or did he also do something else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw4lifejoc View Post
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 12:13 PM   #16
haßliebe61
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 535xi Touring

Be sure to use a proper scan tool to read the specific code. There are a lot of sensors/connectors which can turn on this light. I read a lot of forums recently for my airbag code with people suggesting it must be the occupancy mat or battery safety cable. The code was specifically for a driver headrest restraint problem. After pinning out the connector under the seat up to the active headrest connector, there was an open in the circuit. Ran new wiring and fixed the issue for $15.
Appreciate 0