E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Raj's 335i - The Build (Updated Pics)

02-13-2015, 06:03 PM   #111
gaza01
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Loving this more and more Raj!!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 02:39 AM   #112
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Nice find.

But there's no way you'll feel any benefits via the 5 kg weight saving, or the lower centre of gravity, which from memory i think lowers it by 2".

Cosmetically it will look nice and for £80 its a bargain. But just don't expect any performance benefits.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 04:11 AM   #113
'V'
Captain
Rep
Drives: ~Carbon black F36

Cool mod, and a absolute BARGIN at £80. Hopefully you'll be posting oics of the install

Quick question, the runners on the roof are they CF too or body coloured or black???

Car's lookin ace, another great build thread

Last edited by 'V'; 02-14-2015 at 04:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 04:39 AM   #114
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D Pre-LCI | E63 M6 V10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17 View Post
Nice find.

But there's no way you'll feel any benefits via the 5 kg weight saving, or the lower centre of gravity, which from memory i think lowers it by 2".

Cosmetically it will look nice and for £80 its a bargain. But just don't expect any performance benefits.
Nonsense. Adds 60bhp
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 04:48 AM   #115
richk84
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: e93 330i

I think it will look really good with the colour of your car, will stand out more than a darker car
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 07:49 AM   #116
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaza01 View Post
Loving this more and more Raj!!!!
Cheers Shaun. Trying to keep up with you boys LOL.

Quote:
Nice find.

It's a visual and performance addition. The slightly lower centre of gravity and the slightly less weight high up will help when tracking the car. Ive taken the majority of my cars on track (Donnington, Silverstone, Spa, The Ring, etc) so the befits are there for sure.

On the road yes no real benefit by itself but when combined with all the other mods then it's a different story personally speaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'V' View Post
Cool mod, and a absolute BARGIN at £80. Hopefully you'll be posting oics of the install

Quick question, the runners on the roof are they CF too or body coloured or black???

Car's lookin ace, another great build thread
I shall certainly get pics of the work on the repair and the fitting. I'd like them for my benefit too lol. The runners are just gloss black like the shadowline trim. So my plan is to get mine resprayed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWBimmer View Post
Nonsense. Adds 60bhp
And the rest lol. At least 80bhp lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richk84 View Post
I think it will look really good with the colour of your car, will stand out more than a darker car
I agree it will stand out against the silver as opposed to black etc.
      02-14-2015, 08:10 AM   #117
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Combined with the other mods? What other ones? Are you shedding weight elsewhere on the car? The whole exercise of shedding weight is pointless unless you start shedding proper amounts, such as the interior. A 5kg loss is nothing.

Just because you've been to some trackdays before doesn't mean you'll feel a performance benefit from a 5kg loss. Are you seriously saying a CF roof will improve your car's performance enough for you to even realise?

Marketing at its best.

It's not all bad though mate for £80 i would probably do it too as it looks sweet, but i would expect ZERO performance benefits, whether on road or track, and no matter how much i tuned my engine. 5kg is 5kg.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 12:58 PM   #118
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep

I've owned the car for 2 months so at present the weight loss is minimal (and this will be the first of many mods around improving the cars track ability). I appreciate you may have done every mod to your car in one go but I haven't and can't. Hence asking what other mods is a bit pointless at present. Long term plans are to do CF boot and bonnet and other bits but who knows.
      02-14-2015, 02:07 PM   #119
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajB View Post
I've owned the car for 2 months so at present the weight loss is minimal (and this will be the first of many mods around improving the cars track ability). I appreciate you may have done every mod to your car in one go but I haven't and can't. Hence asking what other mods is a bit pointless at present. Long term plans are to do CF boot and bonnet and other bits but who knows.
Nope not done every mod, never mind every mod in one go, too expensive., its never ending! I am also doing things in steps, but weight loss isn't one of them...

Its not really pointless asking about your other mods as you said you'd see improvements "combined with all the other mods". I was just wondering what other mods you meant. If it's a CF bonnet and boot, you still won't notice the weight loss benefit. You really have to go in hard and extreme to notice weight loss on a car such as yours/ours. As in strip the car, take the seats out, soundproofing, pretty much everything. Which isn't a great idea for a daily driver. But if that's your plan, which i doubt as it would ruin a nice daily driver, to strip everything out and try and get a minimum weight, then fair do's.

As already said, 5kg is nothing, combined with other mods or not. You would have to go into real extreme scenarios for this to work.

For example in Formula 1 every kilo is important. Every additional 10kg of weight on an F1 car is worth on average 3/10ths of a second per lap over a season. So 5kg would be 0.150 seconds a lap, and that's an F1 car which has around 880bhp/ton! Which is at least 4 times as much as a mildly tuned 335 (based on 350bhp/1600kg). In 335's i seriously doubt there would even be a 0.01s improvement (due to much much less traction compared to a F1 car). Even if somehow there was, I don't know about anyone else but i certainly wouldn't notice my car going a "thousandth" of a second quicker over a lap. Probably would't even notice a tenth.

I'm not trying to put a downer on this, i do like the looks of the CF roof you bought, and at £80 its a steal. How much are you paying to fit it? I just don't want other people reading this and thinking they can improve their cars handling with a CF roof, whether combined with other mods or not. It should be seen as a nice cosmetic mod, but that's all.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 03:11 PM   #120
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep

Appreciate your comments but every little does help. It all fits into the bigger picture for me. I never said it would be a huge increase in handling etc. I said it would lower the centre of gravity which it will and that can help handling. It may not be massive and tbh I very much doubt anyone else will do it either but for me it's a great mod.

Just fitting a set of lowering springs will stiffen the ride but it lowers the centre of gravity which aids handling and means you can carry a little more speed.

Anyway it's all good and gets us all talking

Last edited by RajB; 02-14-2015 at 03:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 03:44 PM   #121
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Ok mate let us know your thoughts once you've fitted it, especially with cornering. Would be interesting to know if it is a tangible improvement with the lower CoG as i don't know anyone who has done this on a 335.

As long as its a clean solid install it will look the nuts!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 04:07 PM   #122
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
As long as its a clean solid install it will look the nuts!
      02-18-2015, 03:22 PM   #123
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep

So a little update. Finally got round to fitting the sport side skirts.

From the standard SE ones:

Finally off:

To some nice sport ones:

Also fitted some nice all black badges all round:

Further little updates soon LOL.

Last edited by RajB; 12-08-2017 at 08:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 03:48 PM   #124
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D Pre-LCI | E63 M6 V10

Love seeing this thread man! The 313s are making me think about selling my 95s!!!! LOL!!
      02-18-2015, 04:23 PM   #125
ben-e92
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 325i

Raj, any chance of some pictures of a few more angles with the new black badges when your next putting some pics up? Been thinking about putting some on my titan silver but was unsure. Do you prefer them?

Thanks
Ben
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 04:50 PM   #126
E92cpe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 coupe auto sport package

RajB, great mods so far. I'm really impressed with this build and the quality of parts that you've picked up for the cheap. That's exactly how I like to build my cars. The wheels that you have fitted are exactly the same ones that made me fall in love with the 335i. LCI tails are awesome a much welcomed improvement. Gives the car a updated more sophisticated look IMHO. Can't wait to get updates from this build. Until then Keep Calm and Mod On! Subscribed
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 04:56 PM   #127
Sparky68
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 Alpine White

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.50]
2017 BMW F30 330D  [0.00]
2014 M135  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Black badges?

02-18-2015, 06:34 PM   #128
lolololol
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 F83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky68
Nice one matey , looking good , I am going to order the BMS filters and leave the cowl off , sick and tired of taking it on and off all the time

http://burgertuning.com/cowl_filter_...w_135_335.html" rel="" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://burgertuning....5_335.html</a>" rel="" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://<a href="http...5.html</a></a>
Fitted these ages ago and are a great - especially with the amount of time I access the jb4

OP - you want to improve the track-ability of you car then sack the roof (pointless for performance gain) and get some decent suspension with arb's. That upgrade YOU will notice.

You also need dp's and FMIC if you wanna drag the most out of your car with the jb4 !

Best of luck.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 04:46 AM   #129
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Love seeing this thread man! The 313s are making me think about selling my 95s!!!! LOL!!
Lol. I'm still thinking about BBSs lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben-e92 View Post
Raj, any chance of some pictures of a few more angles with the new black badges when your next putting some pics up? Been thinking about putting some on my titan silver but was unsure. Do you prefer them?

Thanks
Ben
No problem. Will get some and post up. I prefer them as it goes with the whole theme for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92cpe View Post
RajB, great mods so far. I'm really impressed with this build and the quality of parts that you've picked up for the cheap. That's exactly how I like to build my cars. The wheels that you have fitted are exactly the same ones that made me fall in love with the 335i. LCI tails are awesome a much welcomed improvement. Gives the car a updated more sophisticated look IMHO. Can't wait to get updates from this build. Until then Keep Calm and Mod On! Subscribed
Thanks buddy. Very appreciated. I was lucky with getting the car we modded to start with and the additions have been forth coming for not silly money and by chance the right colour lol.

Makes a change as usual it costs me a fortune when modding my cars as everything has had to be bought new etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omaragha View Post
Fitted these ages ago and are a great - especially with the amount of time I access the jb4

OP - you want to improve the track-ability of you car then sack the roof (pointless for performance gain) and get some decent suspension with arb's. That upgrade YOU will notice.

You also need dp's and FMIC if you wanna drag the most out of your car with the jb4 !

Best of luck.
Thanks for the reply. The roof is happening and it's all good even on the performance side (but it is a visual thing too).

I've already got full Birds B3 suspension upgrades which comprises of Bilstein shocks, Eibach springs and H&R ARBs. Along with the Quaiffe LSD.

So suspension wise it's all there but I've also got a full set of M3 upper/lower control arms too
      02-19-2015, 03:16 PM   #130
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Had to look twice to spot the difference Raj, very subtle, very subtle indeed you wouldn't know like th efront bumper that it had been changed......kinda like that
      02-20-2015, 12:51 AM   #131
lolololol
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 F83

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajB
Quote:
Lol. I'm still thinking about BBSs lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben-e92 View Post

Thanks
Ben
No problem. Will get some and post up. I prefer them as it goes with the whole theme for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92cpe View Post
Thanks buddy. Very appreciated. I was lucky with getting the car we modded to start with and the additions have been forth coming for not silly money and by chance the right colour lol.

Makes a change as usual it costs me a fortune when modding my cars as everything has had to be bought new etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omaragha View Post

Best of luck.
Thanks for the reply. The roof is happening and it's all good even on the performance side (but it is a visual thing too).

I've already got full Birds B3 suspension upgrades which comprises of Bilstein shocks, Eibach springs and H&R ARBs. Along with the Quaiffe LSD.

So suspension wise it's all there but I've also got a full set of M3 upper/lower control arms too
Nice choice mate - i running the same setup as you then :-)
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 06:08 AM   #132
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep

Ok so had a bit of a busy weekend etc hence not being on much. However had a crazy long day getting a few minor updates sorted.

Started off going to Jack @ Royal Steering Wheels to pick up my newly retrimmed M3 steering wheel (and another for my X5 lol). Have used Jack a number of times and as always really pleased with his workmanship.

It's proper nicely thick and feels really good in hand LOL:

Straight after headed over to Jason's at Chiptune to get the firmware update finally done.

No pics lol as was just a laptop plugged into my obd lol.

Then went on to see Kevin @ Birds regarding brake options lol. Not cheap mind you lol so will see on that front.

Next up was a trek down to Marius to get the M3 dial upgrade done.

So from the standard (but still nice):

To this (wanted to see how it would look leaving the centre still oe):

Finally the whole hog:

Interior sorted really, well apart from one bit that's always bugged my after getting the M3 leather CF trim. The centre console.

So final part was to head to Jammy to get the leather console he had for sale. I'd previously requested to purchase this but in the end he decided to keep it so when he decided to finally sell up I knew I had to get in their quick.

Nicely installed:

Completed interior with the M3 wheel too:

While at Jammy's also collected the M3 leather rear trim too as found out he had one. Not mint unfortunately but fine for the time being (I'll get it retrimmed at some point lol):

So that's that.......well apart from a complete LED interior bulb upgrade which I did 2 weeks ago and last night fitted the JB4

Still need to get those roofs up to be sorted. Damn it never ends lol.

Not bad for under 12 weeks ownership

Last edited by RajB; 12-08-2017 at 08:11 AM..
Appreciate 0