E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Help Fried CAS Module Don't know what to do.

02-03-2020, 02:27 AM   #1
MonacoBluE92
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 BMW 335i 6MT

Help Fried CAS Module Don't know what to do.

So I recently picked up a non-running 2007 335i from a friend of mine. It had the no start no crank issue. All the accessories still worked fine but it had an exclamation point on the dash and some warnings. I did my research to find common problems that it could possibly be. Turns out the ground strap to the engine had broken off. After fixing that it still just clicked the starter, so I read my codes on INPA. In INPA I found a whole slew of codes that were stored.
I read about the key potentially being an issue of the no start. So I pulled out the CAS and looked at the circuits to find that there was a big burn mark in the middle and one of the electronics was popped.
So now I am stuck because I have read that it requires a whole bunch of coding and potentially new keys for the car. Can I just buy a replacement CAS, take it to a shop, and have them code in the necessary information for my car? Also if I bought a new one could they just clone my old one and I keep my keys?

ALL MY CODES:

DME/DDE: 2FA3

AFS: 614A

CAS: A01C (I now know that the CAS is fried causing this code)

KOMBI: A3AC, A3B9, A548, A550, A3C3, A554, 9319, 931A

I have a picture of the circuit board but I do not know how to post it.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 07:17 AM   #2
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

The CAS and DME need to have the same SK/ISN encoded in them for the engine to run.

So you cannot just replace the CAS without first reading the SK/ISN from the DME and writing it into the replacement CAS.

You cannot do this with BMW standard tools or ISTA - it requires fairly expensive software.

However, it's not very expensive to have it done. You'll have to pull CAS, DME and send/take them together with a key to someone who has the equipment. Plenty of ebay vendors advertise this service.

I've used this guy Kiril Popow <bawareca@yahoo.com>. He's very responsive and helpful.

Alternatively, you may be able to repair you CAS yourself. Check out this post:
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh....php?t=1343513
Appreciate 1
feuer4275.50