E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Cranks, but no start after valve cover replacement

02-19-2021, 03:05 PM   #1
bpete125
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i Sedan A6

Cranks, but no start after valve cover replacement

2008 328i sedan N51 auto. Last 7 of vin: F008913
Worked performed that triggered issue: Replaced Valve cover and eccentric shaft sensor (ECS). Car ran perfect before work. I've also replaced the valve cover perimeter gasket previously without this issue.

Car cranks fine but will not start.
Only fault code: CAS A10A: No description found

I'll list the troubleshooting steps I've performed:
-Spark plugs and coils have less than 40k miles on them
-Car has fresh fuel
-Battery is less than 2 years old fully charged. On a trickle charger between troubleshooting sessions.
-Ground strap on passenger side is clean and securely connected.
-Using Bimmegeeks Protool master license, primed fuel pump and can hear it primed.
-Using protools, calibrated valvetronic motor
-Checked fuses F4, F37, F39. Checked them also with a test light with the ignition on to ensure receiving power.
-Checked all other fuses that had anything to do with DME or ignition etc.
-Terminal 87 on live feed show 12v with ignition on, 10.5v during cranking
-RPM shows value while cranking.

Without additional fault codes I'm out of ideas, currently going sensor to sensor ensuring they have power with ignition on. You need fuel, compression, and spark to run an engine. Something is causing it not to spark. Any help is greatly appreciated, have to have to the car moved in 4 days or it gets towed.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 10:23 PM   #2
e91Owner
e91Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91 & 2010 e60

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpete125 View Post
2008 328i sedan N51 auto. Last 7 of vin: F008913
Worked performed that triggered issue: Replaced Valve cover and eccentric shaft sensor (ECS). Car ran perfect before work. I've also replaced the valve cover perimeter gasket previously without this issue.

Car cranks fine but will not start.
Only fault code: CAS A10A: No description found

I'll list the troubleshooting steps I've performed:
-Spark plugs and coils have less than 40k miles on them
-Car has fresh fuel
-Battery is less than 2 years old fully charged. On a trickle charger between troubleshooting sessions.
-Ground strap on passenger side is clean and securely connected.
-Using Bimmegeeks Protool master license, primed fuel pump and can hear it primed.
-Using protools, calibrated valvetronic motor
-Checked fuses F4, F37, F39. Checked them also with a test light with the ignition on to ensure receiving power.
-Checked all other fuses that had anything to do with DME or ignition etc.
-Terminal 87 on live feed show 12v with ignition on, 10.5v during cranking
-RPM shows value while cranking.

Without additional fault codes I'm out of ideas, currently going sensor to sensor ensuring they have power with ignition on. You need fuel, compression, and spark to run an engine. Something is causing it not to spark. Any help is greatly appreciated, have to have to the car moved in 4 days or it gets towed.
A10A just follows the crank without start, so that in and of itself is not diagnostic.

I would think you'd get some associated codes, if they were disconnected, but double checking the connections on the fuel rail and anything else you disconnected to gain access to remove the valve cover.
Appreciate 0