E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Help! Suspension Damage. Accident video included

06-18-2021, 02:51 AM   #1
masterh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 328i

Help! Suspension Damage. Accident video included

I recently got hit by a car side to side. The other car's front wheel pushed my driver side front wheel. It was pushed in pretty bad (screeching sound came from this wheel as it was facing other direction) and was non drivable so I towed the car to my house.

I took the wheel off to check out the damages.
The inner wheel pushed the strut and made a dent.
Lower control arm was bent pretty bad. sway bar link was bent little but I just bent it back with my hand.
I replaced lower control arm today. It made lower part of the wheel look normal again but upper part is still pushed in. (the photo is after I replaced the control arm)

The frame area by lower control arm looked all fine. (I measured the length of the rectangular opening. It matched the other side)

Strut mount from the inside looked fine. Strut mount from the top looks like it's still in center? Strut tower doesn't look warped.

My only guess is maybe it bent the Strut Rod? or it bent the Threads (there are 3) of the strut mount?

The other driver's insurance accepted liability and I am just fixing it little bit so I can drive to the body shop.
I just don't want to total this car since it's E91 black on black which is hard to find.

https://streamable.com/yz7blp
View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

https://imgur.com/uqb875L

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 07:21 AM   #2
relative4
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi E90 MT stage 1+

Why has it not been towed to the body shop?
Appreciate 1
Wolf 3352340.50
      06-18-2021, 11:54 AM   #3
335i54n
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, e39 m5

you need better pics of the each arm, looks like the tie rod is bent also.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 12:26 PM   #4
masterh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Because once it's taken to the body shop, I lose the freedom of making choices?

I had a bmw that got into front wreck.
It was taken to the mechanic from the scene. They decided to total it and they quickly sent it to Copart yard. They set the buy back price at $2500 and low balled me on the payout.

So I sued them for my pain and suffering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by relative4 View Post
Why has it not been towed to the body shop?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 02:34 PM   #5
aphael
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 6MT

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
You need to 100% replace the tie rod and anything bent in an accident like this. I would replace the all the arms and struts. Good chance to upgrade to m3 goodies and get rid of the liquid filled bushings. I would replace the sway bar link since theres a lot of tension on the sway bar when you turn.

Surprised they set the buy back price so high and low balled you on payout. Depends on the insurance the other person has huh. My lawyer also fought for more on the payout, they usually paid a bit over what a dealer would charge using comparable listings around you.
      06-18-2021, 04:46 PM   #6
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

You need to let people do their jobs, tow it to the shop of your chose and you'll hear from them after they do an estimate of the damage. You've directed the accident, showed up at the other parties home and put yourself in bad situations, it's time to stop.
      06-18-2021, 05:31 PM   #7
masterh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah I will see how it goes in dealing with cheap insurance company.

The adjustor was telling me 'Sir I want you to be safe. You don't need to go to the body shop. You can use our app to upload pictures for an estimate. It's simple and easy'

I am going to try a body shop that's on their approved shop list and also one that's not on their list to compare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post
You need to let people do their jobs, tow it to the shop of your chose and you'll hear from them after they do an estimate of the damage. You've directed the accident, showed up at the other parties home and put yourself in bad situations, it's time to stop.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 07:38 PM   #8
masterh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Can someone advise me how to just get the check instead of fixing everything at the bodyshop in CA?
I will be interested in fixing suspension components at the shop but I am NOT interested in doing the bodywork. They will have to respray the whole left side. The paint on rest of the body isn't that great so it will look worse than before. I can just get a fender, side skirt, 2 doors and replace on my own.

Do you think I can just tell them, take it apart to write an estimate, put everything back and I just pay for their time?

I know they will just issue me a check with very low amount first. Once I tell them, it's not enough, they will say 'take it to the body shop and let them make a claim'.
This was my experience in CA. In another state, all I had to do was getting an estimate from the shop, send them paperwork and they sent me a check for that amount.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 02:18 AM   #9
atorrealba
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

any update on OP's repair?

Have you driven the E9x since, the steering rack should be quite strong & sturdy to not bent except for the tie-rods and the long side-control arm bushing.

Is that rectangular insert measured from the subframe or the frame, or with the control arm/steering knuckle off?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 01:38 PM   #10
masterh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I fixed it by changing the strut (doesn't show how badly it bent in the pics) with strut mount and rear control arm. I also changed front control arm. the arm was ok but bushing was out.

The bodyshop quoted replacing the spindle but I didn't notice anything so I didn't replace it. (those are really cheap anyways like $50 used)

My alignment was little off before the accident. So it is slightly off like that but it drives normal like before.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 08:17 PM   #11
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

You get paid though, or nah?
Appreciate 0