E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Vibration at highway speed (doubtful related to wheel balance) - please help

07-27-2021, 09:39 PM   #199
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

Just to follow up:

Replaced my steering rack but am still hearing a kind of grinding/whining noise that I’m positive is coming from the steering. Oh well lol… I guess some things you just have to let go.

To recap, I’ve had two new LuK pumps (and a used one before that) and have changed fluid and reservoir multiple times now. Running car without serpentine belt = no noise. Running car with shorter belt to bypass AC = same noise. Alternator also new.

Sooo, that leaves only power steering. Anyway, this is kinda a separate issue to this thread, but I did post a few back about replacing steering shaft (worthwhile) and rack (probably not).
      09-25-2021, 12:10 PM   #200
DarenF
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleccord View Post
Replaced what three things? Can you elaborate and us out?
Did you ever find out wht three things?

Just bought an F10 2015 with seat wobbles from 65mph thru till 80

Anybody solve this?
      09-25-2021, 12:21 PM   #201
DarenF
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyshadow View Post
Im having the same issue at the moment, i have aftermarket reps, started to feel shortly after i put them on.

changed the Thruster arms, just did the bearing and CV boots, and all looks fine.

Installed ST coilovers, and then i got new tires, and roadforce balanced.

The Vibration stopped by a huge ammount, but is still there just less subtle.

Cant do rolls past 180, as it vibrates like crazy!

I notice it also happens when i let off the gas, not when im accelerating.
If you have aftermarket wheels then hub spigots might be your fix. Checked mine but genuine BMW wheels so no spigots required
      04-30-2022, 02:35 AM   #202
AlexMason
Rep
Drives: e92 320d

Sorry for resurrecting the old thread guys.
I found the cause of vibrations in my case so wanted to share it in case someone will search in the future.

Story:
I have intermittent vibrations (at speeds over 60 - 70mph) on my e92.
I have read this whole thread and was ready to diagnose everything listed here.
My main suspicion was towards rear brake calipers intermittently sticking. So I took the spray bottle and after my trip to work (around 35mins on motorway) I've sprayed all brake discs with water - aaand nothing. After my commute back home I decided to repeat the test and after spraying the rear nearside disc it greeted me with generous amount of steam and sizzling sound. The other 3 corners were barely warm.
So now I'm 95% sure I found the culprit of my problem.
The reason why I was suspecting my brakes is because sometimes in the mornings when reversing back I could feel some resistance, I thought I was hitting a curb or something.

I hope this helps somebody in the future! And remember - if they are sticking intermittently the problem may not reveal itself every time when checking this way with spray bottle.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2022, 12:05 PM   #203
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90yyc View Post
Just to follow up:

Replaced my steering rack but am still hearing a kind of grinding/whining noise that I’m positive is coming from the steering. Oh well lol… I guess some things you just have to let go.

To recap, I’ve had two new LuK pumps (and a used one before that) and have changed fluid and reservoir multiple times now. Running car without serpentine belt = no noise. Running car with shorter belt to bypass AC = same noise. Alternator also new.

Sooo, that leaves only power steering. Anyway, this is kinda a separate issue to this thread, but I did post a few back about replacing steering shaft (worthwhile) and rack (probably not).
Have you done anything to the brakes regarding this vibration issue?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2022, 06:23 AM   #204
DarenF
Enlisted Member
Rep

Vibration FIXED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post
Have you done anything to the brakes regarding this vibration issue?
I had exactly the same issue on my F10 520d MSport from when I bought it a year ago.

I changed tyres, all the brakes, suspected buckled wheel so I bought refurbed wheels but nothing solved it.

Then, last week, the lower coil snapped on the rear spring. I had them changed for BMW original parts at my local indi for £375 including the springs and the wobble has dissappeared.

The car drives sublime again. Rear has firmed up too.

The road force thing is junk, don't waste your money.

I've been searching for a solution to this issue for a year now and hundreds of people seem to be having this issue please spread this solution.
      09-15-2022, 11:51 PM   #205
StillPlayzWithRexy
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 X40i

Garage List
1997 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexMason View Post
Sorry for resurrecting the old thread guys.
I found the cause of vibrations in my case so wanted to share it in case someone will search in the future.

Story:
I have intermittent vibrations (at speeds over 60 - 70mph) on my e92.
I have read this whole thread and was ready to diagnose everything listed here.
My main suspicion was towards rear brake calipers intermittently sticking. So I took the spray bottle and after my trip to work (around 35mins on motorway) I've sprayed all brake discs with water - aaand nothing. After my commute back home I decided to repeat the test and after spraying the rear nearside disc it greeted me with generous amount of steam and sizzling sound. The other 3 corners were barely warm.
So now I'm 95% sure I found the culprit of my problem.
The reason why I was suspecting my brakes is because sometimes in the mornings when reversing back I could feel some resistance, I thought I was hitting a curb or something.

I hope this helps somebody in the future! And remember - if they are sticking intermittently the problem may not reveal itself every time when checking this way with spray bottle.
My '19 40i has been sitting at the Stealership for over a week now. Wobbly rear half shaft suspected now after rear wheels/tires swapped out…
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2022, 09:30 AM   #206
thormessiah
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Coupe

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
After changing to BC Coilovers the issue has mostly gone away. I think maybe a new set of tires road force balanced & maybe an alignment will get everything perfect.
Appreciate 0