E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > N52 325i white smoke

02-22-2024, 11:34 AM   #1
EuroWerkes
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i, 08 Civic Si, Jeep XJ

N52 325i white smoke

Hi y'all! I wanted to get some guidance on what may be the cause of my issues. I was driving home this past Monday and all of a sudden the car started what felt like misfiring. Then I noticed smoke behind me, as I pulled up to the stop light it started running rough, I also smelled oil. Then I pulled off the road and into a parking lot. The idle smoothed out and the smoke cleared some, so I drove home. I was able to make it back to my apartment, the idle was smooth and quiet but I noticed some blue smoke only if I revved it slightly. I checked the oil and coolant and all were full. I wasn't loosing any coolant and the fluids were not milky. But I did have some oil consumption since I owned the car, I would have to top off every 2000mi. I also noticed oil in the intake manifold. I let the car cool down and went to go start it again to see if it was just something intermittent. It started blowing tons of white smoke. The smoke didn't smell like coolant but mostly like oil. I also have a leaky valve cover gasket, oil pan gasket and code for Exhaust Vanos Solenoid "2A87". I ordered a CCV kit, Vanos Solenoids ans Oil filter housing gasket thinking that could be the problem.
Any advice is good advice! Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 02:22 PM   #2
Brian86
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 M3, e91 325xi, N50 Xterra

It's the oil separator, CCV system.

Change it *NOW*.

It sounds like the check valve in the drain is stuck open, so it's suddenly started sucking oil into the intake like soda up a straw.

It'll foul your cats if you keep driving it, perhaps even hydrolock the thing if you're incredibly unlucky.
      02-24-2024, 04:05 PM   #3
EuroWerkes
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i, 08 Civic Si, Jeep XJ

Thanks. I replaced the Oil Separator and hoses, Vanos Solenoids and Fuel vent valve. Installed new intake manifold gaskets. The car smoked and ran rough after like it had a misfire. But then smoothed out and now runs better than before I had the issue. When I emptied the intake manifold there was a quart of oil that poured out. Pulled and cleaned the spark plugs and also cleaned the intake ports. Next I plan to replace the valve cover gasket, eccentric shaft sensor, spark plugs and coils. Then attack the oil pan gasket, motor mounts and other stuff.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2024, 08:04 PM   #4
Brian86
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 M3, e91 325xi, N50 Xterra

Mine did the same thing. Perhaps half a quart of oil sitting in the intake manifold. It was dripping liquid oil out the exhaust tips.

Good save.