E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > BMW Subwoofer Swap Question

05-27-2016, 07:33 AM   #1
meith23
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i e90

BMW Subwoofer Swap Question

Im think about replacing my 2007 328i e90's subwoofer with a "Earthquake Sound SWS-8Xi 8-inch Shallow Woofer System Subwoofer". I want to know if I have to replace both underseat sides or can I do just one. Also, do I have to replace the amp? Should I get 2 or 4 ohms? Thank you, delete if not allowed
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 07:57 AM   #2
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 M3

Replace both, if you are hi-fi get 2ohm and you can keep your stock amp, if you are Logic get 4 ohm and keep your stock amp, regardless of whether or not to keep the stock amp, it is always best to upgrade
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 08:35 AM   #3
meith23
Registered
Rep

Replace both?

thanks so much, but is it absolutely necessary to replace both. can I replace one now then another in like a month?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 16 View Post
Replace both, if you are hi-fi get 2ohm and you can keep your stock amp, if you are Logic get 4 ohm and keep your stock amp, regardless of whether or not to keep the stock amp, it is always best to upgrade
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 09:27 AM   #4
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by meith23 View Post
thanks so much, but is it absolutely necessary to replace both. can I replace one now then another in like a month?
You are obviously on a tight budget. Without an external amp, the SWS-8 will not do anything for you. Even with the amp, they still sound terrible, but some people like them, most others end up replacing them with true mid-bass woofers and adding a trunk sub. If you don't want to spend a lot of money, and just want some more bass added to your existing set-up, just get a cheap trunk amp/sub/box combo. It will not blow you away from an SPL or SQ perspective, but it's probably the most bang for your buck upgrade you can do. Another option would be to put an amp on the existing OEM woofers, but you will run the risk of blowing them if you're not careful, and the added amount of bass is limited. You will definitely gain mid-bass, but not so much sub-bass. The trunk sub is all about sub-bass.
      05-27-2016, 09:40 AM   #5
meith23
Registered
Rep

I've heard that replacing the underseat subs even without an amp make quite the difference. and also i've heard that trunk boxes make no difference because of the trunks installation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigoss69 View Post
You are obviously on a tight budget. Without an external amp, the SWS-8 will not do anything for you. Even with the amp, they still sound terrible, but some people like them, most others end up replacing them with true mid-bass woofers and adding a trunk sub. If you don't want to spend a lot of money, and just want some more bass added to your existing set-up, just get a cheap trunk amp/sub/box combo. It will not blow you away from an SPL or SQ perspective, but it's probably the most bang for your buck upgrade you can do. Another option would be to put an amp on the existing OEM woofers, but you will run the risk of blowing them if you're not careful, and the added amount of bass is limited. You will definitely gain mid-bass, but not so much sub-bass. The trunk sub is all about sub-bass.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 09:44 AM   #6
6spdcoupe
tends to get irritable
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 F15,18 M550,20 Highlander

Quote:
I've heard that replacing the underseat subs even without an amp make quite the difference. and also i've heard that trunk boxes make no difference because of the trunks installation.
With all due respect, if you have 'heard' such things, then why ask here if you're only going to apparently disregard the advice that is trying to be given ?

AC Schnitzer/Eibach/M Performance/RaceChip/Compustar/Drone/BimmerTech/FireTV/Helix/Dynaudio/Micro-Precision/Jehnert/Audiomobile
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 10:07 AM   #7
meith23
Registered
Rep

sorry but I never asked for any advice on putting subs in the trunk. Only about underseat, one person said one thing and another said another. Its confusing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdcoupe View Post
With all due respect, if you have 'heard' such things, then why ask here if you're only going to apparently disregard the advice that is trying to be given ?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 10:36 AM   #8
6spdcoupe
tends to get irritable
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 F15,18 M550,20 Highlander

Quote:
sorry but I never asked for any advice on putting subs in the trunk. Only about underseat, one person said one thing and another said another. Its confusing.
I was referring to your first statement about the underseats, not a trunk sub.

AC Schnitzer/Eibach/M Performance/RaceChip/Compustar/Drone/BimmerTech/FireTV/Helix/Dynaudio/Micro-Precision/Jehnert/Audiomobile
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 10:51 AM   #9
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

Quote:
Under seats give an improvement. Trunk subs a vast improvement depending on what subs you use and how you fire them into the cabin. I'm hampered having an e93. But I plan on a 10inch w3v3 jl audio with 300w nominal firing into the cabin through the ski bag pass through. This will blow the doors literally off any under seat options. With an e92 or more money there's even better options.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2016, 04:12 PM   #10
OveN
Enlisted Member
Norway
Rep
Drives: '18 F22 230i

In my opinion, the OEM amp is the weakest link by far. Replacing the amp is a way better upgrade than just replacing the underseat woofers.
I replaced the OEM amp in my car, then replaced all speakers about a month later. The biggest improvement of the two stages was definitely the amp upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2016, 04:11 PM   #11
tlow98
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by OveN View Post
In my opinion, the OEM amp is the weakest link by far. Replacing the amp is a way better upgrade than just replacing the underseat woofers.
I replaced the OEM amp in my car, then replaced all speakers about a month later. The biggest improvement of the two stages was definitely the amp upgrade.
Nice A/B comparison.

Your stock system hifi, L7 or ESP? What amp did you go with, if you don't mind me prying... Guessing you used a Tachnik harness or similar.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 01:09 PM   #12
OveN
Enlisted Member
Norway
Rep
Drives: '18 F22 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow98 View Post
Nice A/B comparison.

Your stock system hifi, L7 or ESP? What amp did you go with, if you don't mind me prying... Guessing you used a Tachnik harness or similar.

Thanks
I have 676 HiFi.
I put in JL HD900/5, then replaced front mid&tweeter with Morel Hybrid 402 and underseat subs with SWS 8X.
Channel 1-4 powering FL/FR/RL/RR. Ch. 5 powering the SWS's in parallel.
Unfortunately I could not get hold of Technic harness in time from Norway so I cut the signal wires coming from HU at the connector going into OEM amp and soldered phono plugs onto those wires to plug into JL amp.
I have sold the OEM amp so the fact that I cut the wires doesn't bother me too much anymore. Nobody with a sane mind would ever want to revert this to OEM

(This summer I will pull extra wire to each front door to go full active, install Mosconi DSP 6to8, replace SWS with Jehnert XE200, install trunk sub and ditch rear speakers. Haven't decided on amps yet...)

OP: Sorry for all this off topic
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 01:58 AM   #13
tlow98
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

No need to apologize, I like hearing how other people are doing things!

Also, I agree, pnp functionality is great but with the age and usage of these cars, who on earth would go back to OEM?

I am guessing that you are lacking some mid bass based on your future mods? The morels can pull a lot, but I suppose 4" just can't play what the 8" could. (All twss jokes aside!)

Until next time...I've got to get an amp and a power wiring kit in Order to be fully on my way.
Appreciate 0