E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Knocking/Hammering Noise 435d

12-17-2019, 11:03 AM   #1
CantSitStill
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i N54 19t FBO Pump + Meth

Knocking/Hammering Noise 435d

Hoping someone can help me with a terrifying problem!!

I recently had an issue where I had an error code saying glow plug 1 was not working so I replaced it with a new one of the exact same part number. Once I did that it complained that I had different types installed so I went to replace them all however the 6th one was a pain in the ass and it snapped where it left only the tip in the cylinder head. Anyway, I got that removed by making a tool and I was very careful to ensure that nothing fell down the hole – as far as I can tell!!

So after having all the glow plugs replaced now I started the car and to my horror there was a knocking noise or a hammer. Of course, I thought I has to be a glow plug that has went inside the engine so I removed then all to find they are all perfect.

I then turned the engine by hand (clockwise looking at the front and used a tool) and it turned several times perfectly OK with no noise. I then tired (with the glow plugs still out) to crank the engine. No noise.

Next thing I checked was to unplug each injector (power) one by one with the car running and I could hear that the noise was still there with each one unplugged but also the engine ran worse as well with each one unplugged so suggests that all injectors are doing something. I did listen to each injector using a screwdriver and seems that 1,2 and 3 are much noisier than the others with a loud clack. 4,5 and 6 are quieter.

I ran the engine again for a while and the hammer/knock noise went away for maybe 30 seconds (and ran perfectly) but started to make a different higher pitched noise that was no longer at the same frequency as the engine speed so I stopped the car again.

Does anyone know what might be the issue here?

The car is stage 1 with Wagner intercooler fitted. 95,000 Miles on the clock. Serviced every 5000 miles since 70000 miles when I bought it, before that standard BMW services.

No error codes apart from the ones I got from unplugging things but if I clear them its OK. Well I still have the same error saying glow plugs are different when they are all BERU plugs but I had the code before and it ran fine even from cold.

This is a similar noise except if anything mine is more consistent:

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 12:31 PM   #2
tshandonay
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D

Did you figure out the source of your knock? I'm dealing with a knock myself right now.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 02:04 PM   #3
CantSitStill
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i N54 19t FBO Pump + Meth

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshandonay View Post
Did you figure out the source of your knock? I'm dealing with a knock myself right now.
Basically it went away by itself (after fully warming up) and looks like it was injector timing for some reason. I added diesel purge and water treatment to the fuel and its been OK since, also reset the adaptations as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 02:18 PM   #4
siloansa
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshandonay View Post
+1

Appreciate 0