E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Dash Clock Keeps Resetting In The Mornings

11-24-2015, 02:57 AM   #1
HassShah
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d E90 Saloon M Sport

Dash Clock Keeps Resetting In The Mornings

Hello To All!

Need some help please! Got a E90 330D (2006) and last few days the clocks keep resetting mainly in the mornings when I haven't used the car for more than 12hrs.

Looked on the Forums and found some discussions on the US side stating its the car battery / IBS ( Intelligent Battery Sensor) Thankfully the car starts and for the rest of the day seems fine when commuting back from work etc... Seen someone say their could be a battery drain on the car somewhere but how can I trace the possible cause or should I just have the battery replaced and see how it goes from that? I had SuperTyres fit a battery around 2 1/2yrs ago so I cant replace it under warranty so will need a new battery and have been looking on the net for a decent but not a wallet emptying one and come across the following from Halfords and wanted some opinions on if this is worth going for:

Yuasa Silver Car Battery HSB019 Extra Info

Startup Power: 900amps
AH Value: 100ah
Bench Charge: 6 Amps
Average Weight: 23.40kg
Dimensions (LxDxH): 353x175x190mm
Guarantee: 5 years#

Its £119 and they charge a tenner to fit it or should I be looking at something different. I thought if I do need a new battery to go for something with a longer warranty than 2yrs incase I get the same issue again down the line of owning me car!

Appreciate any assistance peeps!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 03:21 AM   #2
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

This is a classic symptom of a weak battery.

I know you've already sorted it but if it were me I'd:

1. Get battery tested
2. Get replacement battery
3. Register battery using ISTA/D ***Important***
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 03:30 AM   #3
HassShah
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi Sensible_

Thanks for the reply. I knew I forgot to mention something on my thread which you have stated on your 3rd line. I have seen people stating that the battery needs to be registered and coded to the car. I am guessing that the guys at Halfords wont have the capabilities to carry this out.

People have stated it is very important to do this but unfortunately I don't have coding software to carry it out myself.

Do you think its worth spending money to have the battery tested at a garage or shall I just have it replaced as its out of the warranty i got with it a few years ago so save the money to spend that on someone that can code it for me. Also If I do get a battery from Halfords does it have to be programmed there and then or can I then look around for someone with the capabilities to code/register it for me?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 03:47 AM   #4
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

Does it sound like its struggling to start?

My battery is a bit weak, and you can obviously hear it struggling on cold mornings, it turns over much slower than normal. Coming home from work it always cranks nice and fast as the battery is full from the drive in. If you use it every day its fine, but leave it parked for a few days and it does the slow cranking

If yours is doing that, you already know its duff, so theres no point testing it.

Buy the new battery online, much cheaper than halfords unless you have a trade card:

https://www.tayna.co.uk/Type-019-Var...ery-P3127.html

Same varta silver as you mentioned above, much cheaper!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 04:09 AM   #5
HassShah
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi Aragorn30d,

TBH it doesn't seem to struggle on the start from what I have noticed probably because the car is used daily. But I think if I left it for a few days then it would likely to struggle. Lights go slightly dim and the dash has that drained hazy look. I have a amp to power my subs but have wired it so the remote kicks in only when the car has started to prevent the battery from draining if the car is not running so not sure if that would have weakened the battery quicker over time.

Really appreciate the link for the battery that is a massive saving from what Halfords are charging. Not sure what discounts you get on the trade card as my mate has a card so will look to see if it saves me more than the site you have kindly pointed me towards!

Do you know if its a simple process to have the battery coded/registered as I presume I will still need to do this once the battery is fitted so will need to go on the search for someone who can perform this task for me.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 04:38 AM   #6
Ao1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I just replaced my battery. (6 years old) I was getting the same symptoms. i.e. clock reset, but no problem starting the car. The car is shutting down battery drain to preserve power.

When I replaced it I asked the technician to test it and it came back with an OK reading. He said that it was not uncommon to get a good reading on a battery that was on its way out. Since replacement everything has been OK.

6 years seems to be the general consensus on how long an OEM battery will last, so 2 ½ seems a bit short, but regardless I would replace it.

Edit.....and if its on its way out winter will for sure kill it off quickly
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 04:42 AM   #7
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

You must register a new battery. This is very important if you want to maximise it's life span.

What is the current battery installed in the vehicle?

I think Exide is still the recommended manufacture for BMW batteries. For your 330d a 95ah AGM would be ideal. These go for around £160 I think. But given the time of year you can probably get a good deal searching around.

Do you know the history of your car? Before you install a new battery yourself or via any garage other than BMW dealer you need to check which classification of battery it's currently coded for.

If the CAS module is not currently coded for AGM 95ah then you need to tell it that's what you want to install. Once coded then register the battery.

If you have BMWHat / Carly I think this can do both. Otherwise use official BMW coding / diagnostics and a DCAN cable.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 05:00 AM   #8
HassShah
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Hello!

No unfortunately I dont really know the history of the car. Purchased in back in 2012 and had issues right from the offset with various warnings going off which related to some module that needed replacing which was attached to the Alternator (cant remember what its technical term was called now!)

Had that replaced and the car was running fine but was advised to change the battery and the only garage open on a Sunday was SuperTyres who replaced it for me but I did not see them coding it apart from sticking it in and sending me on my way and as it is my first BMW did not know until the last few days that it needed coding so when I rang them up they were quite useless and point blank told me its out of warranty and they rudely did not go further when I questioned if they should have coded it at the time so I know to avoid that garage like the plague!

Will have a look on my lunch break to see what brand and classification the battery is and will let you guys know. I'm am not great with computers and playing around with settings on my car so will see if I can find a coder local to me as I had the CIC upgraded by Jammy78 (Jamel) so will see if he has the capabilities to code/register the battery. My sister works at Costco's in Watford who apprently do the Bosch Silver battery with a 4yr warranty so will see what they charge as if the new one I get needs replacing within that time scale they have a no nonsense refund policy. Deffo need to sort this before the winter kicks in as I dont want to be put in a situation with the car not starting in the middle of the night when its minus degree's haha!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 08:30 AM   #9
HassShah
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Hello To All!

So just got off the phone to my local BMW garage who said my car was registered in 2006 so it would be a straight swap without the need to register it as it does not have the IBS system as they done a check with my VIN so I suppose in some sense that's a bonus to save some spondoolies and use that money to buy a decent battery with a longer warranty for peace of mind

They told me they had 2 variations for my car a Black battery or a white one with a wide difference in costs £102inc Vat on the white and £179inc Vat on the Black depending on what functions I am running.

Hopefully the BMW garage are right in what they have stated as I know they can be wrong at times!

Thank you all for your help its much appreciated with your inputs on this matter!

Have a great rest of the week!

Hass!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 09:51 AM   #10
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HassShah
Hello To All!

So just got off the phone to my local BMW garage who said my car was registered in 2006 so it would be a straight swap without the need to register it as it does not have the IBS system as they done a check with my VIN so I suppose in some sense that's a bonus to save some spondoolies and use that money to buy a decent battery with a longer warranty for peace of mind

They told me they had 2 variations for my car a Black battery or a white one with a wide difference in costs £102inc Vat on the white and £179inc Vat on the Black depending on what functions I am running.

Hopefully the BMW garage are right in what they have stated as I know they can be wrong at times!

Thank you all for your help its much appreciated with your inputs on this matter!

Have a great rest of the week!

Hass!
I would double check yourself to see if you have an IBS. Plenty of 2006 came with one. It's blue connectors on the negative side. Generally IBS is fitted with the following options;

---------

CO2 package Yes S1CBA
Or
Additional energy supply Yes S146A
Or
Unmasked official vehicle Yes S185A
Or
Patrol vehicle, camouflaged Yes S186A
Or
Auxiliary heating Yes S536A
Or
On-board monitor with TV Yes S602A
Or
Navigation system Business Yes S606A
Or
Navigation system Professional Yes S609A

---------
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 09:57 AM   #11
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

So you can check here are pics of IBS. It's #2 in the diagram:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 10:01 AM   #12
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Does that mean if you dont have IBS you dont need coding?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 10:02 AM   #13
HassShah
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Thank you so much Sensible_

Will have a check when I get home under the garage warmth and lighting! Really do appreciate your help!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 10:26 AM   #14
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn30d
Does that mean if you dont have IBS you dont need coding?
Coding or registering?

Coding refers to CAS where KLASSE_BATTERIE is stored. If changing ah or type of battery then this change should be coded.

Registering battery change is not required of no IBS. If you try an error will be returned.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 10:37 AM   #15
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Nice to know.

Will check it my car has an IBS, but given its ran low enough that its completely failed to start a couple of times and given me no warning or information about it, i suspect it probably doesnt have it.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 01:32 PM   #16
k9david
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 320i E92

I know you might have moved on from the Halfrauds solution but the fitting charge does include any coding. Be warned though the capability of each branch varies. I replaced a battery in an Alfa and the first branch were clueless, the Auto Centre sorted it out though.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 04:16 AM   #17
quigger
Rep
Drives: F31 320d Sport

The thread above was useful to me when I had a slightly similar issue.

My issue was:
"e91 boot hatch UN locking issues"

but with clock and trip mileage resets too.

So I link to my thread in case it's useful to anyone else:
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...php?p=25644804
I included all threads I read.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 03:37 PM   #18
zackkcaz25
Rep
Drives: Bmw 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible_ View Post
So you can check here are pics of IBS. It's #2 in the diagram:
Where does the small blue connector plug in to? I have the connection but it's been just left unplugged since I got the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2023, 07:03 AM   #19
BMWJOEY888
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 328xi coupe (e92)

NEWBIE, 328xi 2007 (E92) New purchase

Just getting started and this reading of what you all share is remarkable. Thank you for sharing and caring and working together. Can't wait to share in hopes it helps others.

Bought a 2007 328xi coupe, with 100K on it:

Had a battery issue, clock stays on "am" and fuel gauge won't go past 3/4full. Seems previous owner did not take care of car like we all hope. Walmart battery in car (ugh!) probably was not coded. Had some "starting slowly" issues as well. Put new Interstate H7(94R) in yesterday. PERFECT!
Will get it coded tomorrow.

Next issues needing to be taken a look at:

Fuel gauge sticks at 3/4, won't go any hire. ???

Fan runs loud when on anytime heater or a/c is on. ???

Car runs great, feels great. Needs some TLC has 100K on it. We put a new thermo hose in, new tires, new filters, new oil........

Any insight would be great. Thanks to everyone.
Appreciate 0