E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Diesel Fuel Additives?

12-06-2016, 07:17 PM   #1
EvanTheBruce
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d Stage 2+

Diesel Fuel Additives?

Does anyone here use fuel additives on every fill up?

I currently use LiquiMoly diesel purge every oil change. When I replace my fuel filter I fill it with the diesel purge and prime the system then throw the rest in the tank.

I've heard a lot of talk from diesel truck owners I know who swear by Diesel Kleen every tank of fuel. I'm having a hard time finding any real data on how these products perform or if theyre just snake oil.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 07:24 PM   #2
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanTheBruce View Post

I currently use LiquiMoly diesel purge every oil change. When I replace my fuel filter I fill it with the diesel purge and prime the system then throw the rest in the tank.

I've heard a lot of talk from diesel truck owners I know who swear by Diesel Kleen every tank of fuel. I'm having a hard time finding any real data on how these products perform or if theyre just snake oil.
In Indiana, I would be more worried about the presence of biodiesel blends > 5%-7%.

Have you noticed the warning about "no additives" on the fuel filler? And in the manual? Mostly that stuff is close to snake oil. It does raise the cetane a bit, but lots of people have gone many miles without any additives with no problems. Some people posting here and other places do use it, without any apparent problems. YMMV.
Appreciate 1
      12-06-2016, 07:51 PM   #3
335dlci
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1312162
Appreciate 1
      12-06-2016, 07:56 PM   #4
kydiesel35
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35d

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
Mostly that stuff is close to snake oil. It does raise the cetane a bit, but lots of people have gone many miles without any additives with no problems. Some people posting here and other places do use it, without any apparent problems. YMMV.
Snake oil? Nope I don't see snake oil here... Every diesel fuel has an additive package, it's your choice if you'd like to raise that value or not. Again, same stuff they use at the oil refineries...
Appreciate 1
      12-06-2016, 07:58 PM   #5
kydiesel35
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Product safety data sheet.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      12-06-2016, 08:19 PM   #6
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydiesel35 View Post
Snake oil? Nope I don't see snake oil here... Every diesel fuel has an additive package, it's your choice if you'd like to raise that value or not. Again, same stuff they use at the oil refineries...
Sure, more is always better.....

PL
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 08:23 PM   #7
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

If there were any convincing data, you can be sure the car manufacturers would recommend them and the aftermarket sellers would advertise with it. There is a long history of manufacturers recommending certain products, like Techron for valve deposits, when the stuff actually works.

PL
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 08:33 PM   #8
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dlci View Post
Funny how all additive threads end up quoting the Spicer report - a totally invalid measurement since it was used on "base" unadditized fuel (not available commercially and clearly inferior to diesel with additive) with some of the additives making the lubricity worse, and only using one or at best two samples (I don't remember) for each additive....

PL
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 08:33 PM   #9
kydiesel35
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Louis View Post
Quote:

If there were any convincing data, you can be sure the car manufacturers would recommend them and the aftermarket sellers would advertise with it. There is a long history of manufacturers recommending certain products, like Techron for valve deposits, when the stuff actually works.

PL
Smart ass aren't you?

More like they can't test every single product to "recommend" additives because the compositions are different. I'm not saying use nor don't use them, but you my friend are knocking something it seems like you've never even tried. The tests are out there, check before spec...

~Kyd
Appreciate 1
      12-06-2016, 08:39 PM   #10
JOHNNYBRAVO1
NY BRAVEST
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Monaco blue, 335D

I use AMSOIL in the whole car, tranny, rear end, motor and cetanium diesel additive. So far happy with cetanium.
Appreciate 3
      12-06-2016, 09:11 PM   #11
JTC1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

This topic has been discussed many times on many different forums. Just do a google search for diesel additives and you'll find much discussion to sift through. Most people seem to be on one side of the fence or the other and are very adamant on their beliefs. Additives have many claimed benefits from water emulsification to cetane boosting to injector cleaning to keeping fuel from freezing etc. Some claim that there is no evidence additives have any benefits but there is really no evidence that a reputable product does any harm. I for one use them to increase cetane among a few other possible benefits. And if I am wasting my money, it's the equivalent of a cup of coffee a week.
Appreciate 3
      12-06-2016, 09:15 PM   #12
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Smart ass aren't you?

More like they can't test every single product to "recommend" additives because the compositions are different. I'm not saying use nor don't use them, but you my friend are knocking something it seems like you've never even tried. The tests are out there, check before spec...

~Kyd
What tests? Spicer didn't test 10 or so other parameters that are affected by and necessary with tailor-made additives. Please, I'm anxious to use an additive when proof (or any legitimate testing showing improvement) is produced.

Ad hominem attacks don't count, by the way....

PL
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 09:16 PM   #13
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTC1 View Post
This topic has been discussed many times on many different forums. Just do a google search for diesel additives and you'll find much discussion to sift through. Most people seem to be on one side of the fence or the other and are very adamant on their beliefs. Additives have many claimed benefits from water emulsification to cetane boosting to injector cleaning to keeping fuel from freezing etc. Some claim that there is no evidence additives have any benefits but there is really no evidence that a reputable product does any harm. I for one use them to increase cetane among a few other possible benefits. And if I am wasting my money, it's the equivalent of a cup of coffee a week.
Yeah, I guess warnings from VW, BMW, and Mercedes not to use additives mean that they do no harm. Lost you on that one, sorry.

PL
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 09:34 PM   #14
montr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2018 430i G-Coupe

Quote:

PL
In Europe, BMW recommends and sell diesel additive. It is just the LiquiMoly rebranded.
http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/83192296922/
https://www.amazon.co.uk/BMW-Origina.../dp/B00KKJI5C6

It is like the BMW gasoline engine fuel additive, the Techron rebranded to BMW.
Appreciate 4
      12-06-2016, 10:41 PM   #15
JTC1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, I guess warnings from VW, BMW, and Mercedes not to use additives mean that they do no harm. Lost you on that one, sorry.

PL
You sound like a smart guy, why even repeat that rhetoric? BMW also tells you you never need to replace the transmission fluid, but are you buying that? I've chosen to use additives based on my own careful research. Others choose not too and that is fine by me. I'm not on a mission to change anyone's mind. Everyone should do the research and come to their own conclusion. Probably more important than the additive discussion is using good quality fuel, but as I have come to find, even if the pump says Shell or Chevron on it, you really never know where the fuel is really from.
Appreciate 5
      12-07-2016, 05:53 AM   #16
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTC1 View Post
You sound like a smart guy, why even repeat that rhetoric? BMW also tells you you never need to replace the transmission fluid, but are you buying that? I've chosen to use additives based on my own careful research. Others choose not too and that is fine by me. I'm not on a mission to change anyone's mind. Everyone should do the research and come to their own conclusion. Probably more important than the additive discussion is using good quality fuel, but as I have come to find, even if the pump says Shell or Chevron on it, you really never know where the fuel is really from.
Shell and others have a strict policy that if its not their fuel, it must be labeled as such on the pump.

Like I said, the industry has a long history of recommending certain additives, oils, etc. Its clear when talking with oil engineers that the companies take fuel composition and additives seriously. They would not risk producing poor quality fuel and compromise the brand name.

The reason a company would not recommend changing transmission fluid is more likely because it won't make a difference as often the torque converter wears out first, but this is my guess. Should I guess about additives also and tell everyone that its "research" then?

If one can question and doubt an automobile manufacturer's or oil company's recommendations, why not question the aftermarket additive industry, who stand to gain from sale of their products, also?

PL
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 06:57 AM   #17
Persian Whisperjet
Kind of a Big Deal
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That is the key point All fuel has some additive package, a fact I confirmed with a fuel wholesaler in Baltimore -- it is just a question of whether there is benefit to the end user from supplementing it. I use PS and based on the dogged (though not utterly controlled) experiments of Dubfmaily on TDI forum I believe it gives me a small mileage boost.
      12-07-2016, 07:30 AM   #18
JTC1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Shell and others have a strict policy that if its not their fuel, it must be labeled as such on the pump.
PL
That is true, but there is no guarantee that the owner of the station is following these policy's. Even Shell will tell you that it is up to the owner of the station as to what fuel he chooses to use. Some stations in my area have markings that says something to the effect "this pump may not be a Shell product" which is very nebulous. I try to avoid those pumps altogether. Other stations have pumps with the markings of the brand name when in fact I know they are not using the branded fuel. Realize this, the money for gas station owners is in selling items from inside, not fuel. A dishonest owner can draw more people into his store by lowering gas prices and using cheaper fuel in order to compete with the other guy down the street, while at the same time making everyone believe he's using the branded fuel. I've seen it done. I try and use a few stations that I feel comfortable with the product they are selling, but it is not always possible to use those stations. When I have to use a station I don't typically use and know nothing about, I take comfort in using an additive....but hey that's just me.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 08:09 AM   #19
ASBSECU E93
Know's a guy that know's a guy...
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d; 2008 135i

so...can we start a list of 335d owners who use additives, and what they use..?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Poop shit, shit and poop. I'm mildly angry now.
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2016, 08:20 AM   #20
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep
Drives: G07, F97, F30, E90, E46, E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASBSECU E93 View Post
so...can we start a list of 335d owners who use additives, and what they use..?
Not worth it unless the forum supports stickys. Majority of threads just fall down the list
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2016, 08:21 AM   #21
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

One of the reasons I use an additive is because random sampling of available diesel in the midwest still shows a disturbing number of pump diesel being out of spec for lubricity and having cold flow properties higher than I like to see...

https://www.infineum.com/media/80722...ull-screen.pdf
Attached Images

12-07-2016, 08:55 AM   #22
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep

Saying that one wishes there was proof that additives actually make a difference isn't the same as saying one should not use them.

The $$ is not the only thing. We actually do not know what side-effects using additives can occur, whether its upsetting the delicate balance of fuel properties in favor of one, or worse things like CBU. Many additives s.a. Techron use heavy metals or molecules to work - and adhere to the fuel injectors, for example, to "clean them." There is reason to believe these metal "adhesive" particles can also attach to other metal surfaces. Most posters that complain of CBU never mention any details about how they care for their cars, not to mention any additives or "off-brand" fuel.

Of course this is pure guesswork on my part but the idea that extra additives are NEVER tested for long term effects is very significant to me (PS at least tests batches for compliance with required fuel properties). Disposing of perfectly good plastic bottles after using unnecessary additive is not environmentally friendly, and there are still some of us in the diesel community that might care about this. I just hate wasting my time and resources, and don't buy my coffee by the cup at Starbucks either.

Cheers,

PL
Appreciate 0