E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 330d timing chain snapped!

06-15-2015, 04:25 PM   #1
jrp73
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 330D

delete

Last edited by jrp73; 02-05-2018 at 11:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 04:33 PM   #2
Ess
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335d

First time I've heard of this happening. Are you certain that's what it is?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 05:13 PM   #3
Reece
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e90 lci 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ess
First time I've heard of this happening. Are you certain that's what it is?
Oldgreysteve has a thread running about this atm.

Op drop him a pm knows his stuff and could save you alot of money
      06-15-2015, 05:15 PM   #4
holmefield
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330 d m sport

Bloody hell I read on here only the other week of a 330D timing chain fail!!!

Mines currently on 106000 miles...is this more common than I thought?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2015, 12:43 AM   #5
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Sadly not the first time I've heard/seen thisfrom what I've seen of the unit that now adorns our workshop the chain when it's gone may well of taken a couple of valves with it if it has then the most direct route to take will be sourcing a replacement unit.

I don't know if yours is an M57 or N57 but whichever way you look at it its not good news.

As stated there's a little thread I posted about the very subject with a few pictures. Once the cars recovered to a garage get the top cover off and look for signs of impact valve damage from above if its inconclusive then if they have an endoscopic camera and a steady hand see if they can possibly take that route to see if any damage has occurred
      06-16-2015, 02:18 AM   #6
mr-modster
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 aw e92 335d m sport

Sorry to hear about ur car mate..This is making me abit worried about my engine now.. Is there any way i can check if mine is ok or any signs that it may go?. What sort of price am i looking at for having a new chain fitted an tensioners? May do this as a preventive measure cheers
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2015, 03:11 AM   #7
jrp73
Lieutenant
Rep

delete

Appreciate 0
      06-16-2015, 03:43 AM   #8
woggledog
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 320D Sport

So, to start with:
Head refurb, inc new valve seats
new valves
new injectors (rare but a possibility)

Then we start getting into the much more pricier territory:
new pistons and seals

IIRC, the engine needs to come out to do timing chain work as it's very sensibly between the engine and the firewall

Firstly thing to do would be to get a borescope in there followed by a compression test. This should tell you what's going on
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2015, 04:24 AM   #9
GOWRIN
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F36 435D XD

Had my timing chain snap on my 330D last month, seems like it's happening to everyone now.
It works out better getting a replacement engine rather than repairing the existing one tbh. Mine came to about 2K inc. labour. The M57 330D engine is quite hard to come by and the ones available are at extortionate prices.
Hope you get it sorted mate.
      06-16-2015, 05:21 AM   #10
jrp73
Lieutenant
Rep

delete

Appreciate 0
      06-16-2015, 06:53 AM   #11
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamespheely View Post
Just had confirmation the chain definitely has snapped and has damaged the valves. I'm on the hunt for a new engine! :
Valve damage on these will if the chain lets go be almost a certainty.

Engine wise as stated M57's are starting to get a little difficult to obtain bare in my bad that if you manage to obtain one and its out of say a E61 factor in a possible sump swap as well re labour plus the gasket. Change the tensioner to be on the right side of safe, we went a little further and changed the the chain on the replacement engine and all associated parts while the replacement unit was accessible to ensure that everything to the best of our ability was as good as it could be, it cost more, added to the labour side and of things but to ensure a bit of longevity it's the smart play.

But it's all cost I'm afraid service history or not whether BMW will contribute(doubtful)is another questions as I stared elsewhere is heard of these going but until recently hadn't seen one but if people are starting to say that there's are failing is expect more to come out of the woodwork and engine avilabiiiy to be tested over time and that will mwan supply demand will increase therefor the pricing will alter too.

Try QuarryMotors 0114 275 5916
      06-16-2015, 07:02 AM   #12
Mark e90
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW e90

Anyone ever heard of this happening on any of the petrol 6 cylinders ?
      06-16-2015, 11:15 AM   #13
The0pportunist
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Correct me if i am wrong - but the chain is non-serviceable item? The chain SHOULD outlive the life of the engine and so BMW should be held accountable if you have maintained it properly? Maybe speak to BMW and request it get replaced for free as the whole point of the timing chain is you did not have to change it like the usual rubber belts.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2015, 11:50 AM   #14
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamespheely View Post
Thanks for the advice guys. I've did a quick google search and it brought up a few threads on the forum relating to timing chains going.

I believe I have (had) the m57 engine.

It's will the garage now who are going to get the top off and inspect the damage. I'm preparing myself for the worst and assuming the engine has had it so looking for a replacement unit.
Sorry to hear that. Hope you get replacement engine.

Do you mind us asking few questions;
1- what is mileages on your car?
2- Service history? BMW, partly or something else?
3- How long ago was the last service done on your car before it snapped?
4- Manual or auto?
5- Any other engine parts or clutch changed?
6- Any signs? Timing chain rattle on cold start?

I am sure that 330d drivers would like to know the answer of it. Thanks.
      06-16-2015, 11:54 AM   #15
jrp73
Lieutenant
Rep

delete

Last edited by jrp73; 02-05-2018 at 11:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2015, 11:58 AM   #16
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenengine View Post
answers in red fella
Thanks.

I think you missed first question. Feel free to mention miles even though if its high mileage car.

If you have FBMSH, have you tried contacting local bmw dealer?

It should not happen unless you are on really high miles.
      06-16-2015, 12:01 PM   #17
jrp73
Lieutenant
Rep

delete

Last edited by jrp73; 02-05-2018 at 11:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2015, 12:12 PM   #18
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenengine View Post
Sorry could swear I did... It's just ticked over 102k miles.

Will pop in and have a word with them and see what they say
Shame, as its not that high.

Good luck with sorting it. You should contact bmw UK if you do not get any luck with your local dealer.
      06-16-2015, 02:14 PM   #19
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The0pportunist View Post
Correct me if i am wrong - but the chain is non-serviceable item? The chain SHOULD outlive the life of the engine and so BMW should be held accountable if you have maintained it properly? Maybe speak to BMW and request it get replaced for free as the whole point of the timing chain is you did not have to change it like the usual rubber belts.
Yep your right, it's a non serviceable item the only kind of refrence you'd go for/look for would be a tensioner, we when we service them always have a look especially as the cars venture in to 5 years or above, thing is main dealers bring the car in and do it seems to the best of my knowledge the oil service(oils sucked out, oils added, a quick wipe where necessary, bonnet dropped, light re set and the cars driven out)that's your oil service as explained by a BMW tech.

I was told by said same tech that they have around 35 minutes to carry out this operation to be "productive" thing is if your rattling around a car at this speed and sucking be oil out then have you time to inspect a car fully? To the best of my knowledge as the cars on the deck the obvious answers no. We spend a good hour and a half doing the same operation draining the oil while the cars in the air you check things out. Be surprised what you find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
Sorry to hear that. Hope you get replacement engine.

Do you mind us asking few questions;
1- what is mileages on your car?
2- Service history? BMW, partly or something else?
3- How long ago was the last service done on your car before it snapped?
4- Manual or auto?
5- Any other engine parts or clutch changed?
6- Any signs? Timing chain rattle on cold start?

I am sure that 330d drivers would like to know the answer of it. Thanks.
Sam... All relative questions point 2&3 and 6 will have the biggest bearing on things, part of the bloody issue for me though is the CBS service history setup in the first place, the durations are too long, low mileage users for example may on paper visit a garage when the car prompts them and in some cases 2 and a half years can pass the car by before the service required is undertaken. Keep this up your accelerate issues and diesels don't like issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
Shame, as its not that high.

Good luck with sorting it. You should contact bmw UK if you do not get any luck with your local dealer.
I think this is the best course of action Sam, it's a non serviceable item, therefore you can't see it or indeed inspect it. Thing is moving off track for a second look at VW/Audi's they in many cases adopt a belt, belts wear, they quote a time/mileage criteria, they need changing its in the service book most garages know the score. The chain essentially removes this from the maintence equation.

So apart from visible tensioner signs(noise/oil leaks)how are you suppose to know? Customers/owners aren't technicians or know the signs, they put the key in and drive the car 95% of the time. Wear can happen over time if not attended too no matter what part is at risk, the mere fact CBS stretches the boundrys causes me concerns. I advise old school 1 year 12k attention. As I see this as preventative and good practice.

To brokenengine-that's a worrying user name James.

I'd call BMW UK calmly state the cars age, mileage, how many services it's had then ask the question calmly why do timing chains let go? Simple as that then await an answer. If the answe comes back that is not exactly sympathetic then on line you can see what BMW do for their servicing for their cars. It's there for you all to see. Have a look firmiluirse yourself with whsts included within their service protocol then fire it back at them, again in a polite way then remain silent.

Then personally I'd ask if this non Maintenon item lets go what would you like "me" to do best... That sort of thing. I've done this for people a couple of times with manufacturers(though not BMW)the mere fact that your calm about it really helps, I'd make the call it'll cost the call alone and see what pans out.

Let us know how your get on.

Last edited by old grey steve; 06-16-2015 at 02:23 PM..
Appreciate 0