E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > How to replace the H7 high beam bulbs?

05-10-2019, 08:17 AM   #67
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaming325 View Post
Resurrecting an old thread but it might be helpful for someone as I've just struggled with changing the high beam bulb, and for my brain (which was yearning to fire up the gas axe before sense persuaded me to remove the wheel liner) the explanation I've found are hard to follow.

The top of the wire clip is around a sort of hook.

The trick is to push the top of the wire clip forward and outwards (I.e. towards the indicator) , hold it outwards and then fold it down.

Removing the mud guard is actually totally unnecessary but makes it a lot easier to see if you still don't understand it!
Okay, I have to ask...

"gas axe" do you mean what we Yanks call a "chainsaw"?
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 03:00 AM   #68
bolarobric
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i Four Door

From this post I was able to take out the H7 Bulb. The picture provided by Hercnhawk serves great help. The process I did was to use a flat head screw driver slide it between that "lock" spring and the H7's edge (marked with DOT and GE H7 text) and turn the screw driver's fiat head edge clockwise or counter clock while raising the flat head up. This will release the H7's edge high and be release from the lock.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 08:32 AM   #69
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '05 E90 330i Manual

Garage List
Wow, old thread resurrected...

Takes me back to the first time when I decided to upgrade the standard H7 bulbs to something a bit whiter and brighter many years ago - back then I followed the manual and accessed the rear of the lights from the wheel well access panels, and to make things "easier", I decided to jack the front up and take the front wheels off for extra space.

So funny doing it this way when some months later I figured out that all you need to do is work by feel on the right corner from the engine bay, since there's plenty space there, and for the left corner it's just easier to undo a few bolts and screws and remove the airbox. I had to replace the headlight bulbs again within the last couple of years, piece of cake.

Appreciate 0
      07-12-2023, 03:47 AM   #70
Beaming325
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Okay, I have to ask...

"gas axe" do you mean what we Yanks call a "chainsaw"?
(Thread has been resurrected before so why not)

I meant an oxy-acetylene cutting torch, beloved of breakers for final removal of engines etc when there's metal in the way

Appreciate 0